Author Topic: Noted in Passing - Nairnshire Telegraph  (Read 7294 times)

Offline whiterose92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noted in Passing - Nairnshire Telegraph
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
According to my great grandfathers obituary he often submitted articles to the Narisnhire Telegraph "Noted in Passing" section about his memories of Nairn.  I recently travelled up to Nairn to do some family history research but only had a day to spend there and didn't have enough time to look through many of the old Nairnshires on microfilm in the library.  I understand they are only held in the British Library in London and in the Nairn library, and unfortunately I'm no where near either .

If anyone is looking at the old Nairnshire's in the library and they stumble across an article by Isaac Jamieson (from his obituary it sounds as if he was a well respected lay preacher in the area) would you be so kind as to forward the details on?

Thankyou

Offline Nairnite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Noted in Passing - Nairnshire Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 April 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Some years have passed since you posted the item but if you have not had any further success in tracing Isaac Jamieson, I hope the following helps.
He was born at 4 King Street, Nairn on 16 March 1895 to John Jamieson & Isabella Ralph and had siblings John, Alexander, Isabella & Mary.
In the 1911 Census he is a fisherman and in 1914 was a seaman in the Royal Naval Reserve.
In 1918 he was in the Royal Navy on the S.S. Ravenscraig at Littlehampton and he married Maud Gliddon in that year in that place.
He settled in Liverpool and worked as a seaman, bricklayer and a lay preacher.
Isaac and Maud had three children, John James, Kenneth Gliddon & Fred A.
Isaac died in Liverpool in 1978.
Regards.
Alex