Author Topic: Fynney family Leek  (Read 12190 times)

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
Re: Fynney family Leek
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
As far as relates to the Fynney, Finney families. There are several pedigrees’ recorded in different places. Including the William Salt Museum but that one does not go back as far as 1066.
The main reference seems to be John Sleigh in his book of 1883 “History of The Ancient Parish of Leek”.
He quotes:-

The Fynney  estate,  consisting  of   woodlands  and  a  large  tract  of  country, was  a gift of William  the  Conqueror  to "his  kinsman  Fenis" (v.  William  of Worster's  papers at  the end  of the  Black-book  of  the  Exchequer,  vol. 2,  p. 524.)   

Sleigh goes on from there through a series of 26 individuals with a view of confirming his male bloodline to show continuity up to the date of the publication.
There seems to be little doubt that Mr. Sleigh’s information is gleaned from Doctor Fielding Best Fynney 1743-1806, the man responsible for the much mentioned Fynney Brass. This man’s original handwritten notes are in possession of the University of California having been bought by them in 1963.
That said when this assumption was published it was subject to much criticism at the time especially so in the Gentleman’s Magazine. In short whether true or not can’t be said for sure.

This is the only record I have seen going from 1066 to 1883.

I have read that the land that you referred to was at Fynney Farm, Basford where a house still stands albeit rebuilt in 1610 and the land in and around Pickwood Hall, Leek where a Thomas Fynney was resident during the Civil War.

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
very interesting boy scout.

id be much happier if i could find a mention of such lands in the 1086 domesday book. so far i have not found any mention of 'john finis' in the domesday book.

that disappoints me, as id like this story to be true.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline BoyScout2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 25 June 22 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am Boy Scout 2 formally Boy Scout on here. I had to re register as I've had computer problems and had misplaced my password and unable to log in. I was hoping that Nibbs is still on here as I have some news for her concerning Richard Fynney and her previous question. At the moment of course I'm unable to PM as a "New member"

Boy Scout 2
Fynney, Depree, Tomlinson

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 September 22 10:17 BST (UK) »
I am Boy Scout 2 formally Boy Scout on here. I had to re register as I've had computer problems and had misplaced my password and unable to log in. I was hoping that Nibbs is still on here as I have some news for her concerning Richard Fynney and her previous question. At the moment of course I'm unable to PM as a "New member"

Boy Scout 2

please keep us updated with any new info!
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline BoyScout2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
Fynney updates

For the information of Robert G Shaw.
Regarding Fynney updates I can’t help with any information regarding your Finney Ellastone connection.
The main “discovery” has been that there was a court case heard in Chancery 1844 Cook v Fynney documented in the National Archives and elsewhere; the brief details of which are as follows.
A Thomas Cook of Lane Ends Farm, Onecote, Staffordshire made a will in 1816 (he died that year) in which he left £300 to his second son Joseph to be paid after the death of Thomas’s wife Mary.  There were 2 executors to this will;  1st  being William Fynney the younger of Butterton a neighbour to the Cook family, the 2nd being Thomas Cook Junior son of Thomas Cook who died in 1816. Thomas the younger died in 1825 leaving William Fynney the sole executor.
Mary Cook died in 1936 but no money was forthcoming to Joseph Cook he therefore took his grievance to the Chancery courts.
In 1840 William Fynney the executor died; his 2 executors being his brothers Richard and Samuel Fynney thus making them responsible for the execution of Thomas Cook will of 1816.
In 1942 Richard Fynney died leaving Samuel Fynney sole executor to the Cook will of 1816.  Due to the rules of Chancery a total of 18 people deemed to have “Conceivable Interest” were sued to appear before Chancery.
This matter dragged on through the courts until 1848 racking up costs of over £800 on a dispute over £300. Mr William Challinor a well known Leek solicitor wrote the case up in a pamphlet about the defects of the Chancery system in 1849, which he passed to Charles Dickens, no names were mentioned in this pamphlet.
Charles Dickens at that time was calling for the reform of the Chancery. What followed then was that the court case Cook v Fynney formed the basis of the case of 'Jarndyce v Jarndyce' in Dickens “Bleak House” which was published in instalments 1852-53. The Leek case appears little altered, as the case of 'Gridley' in Chapter 15.
A full detail can be found in:-
'Staffordshire Histories; Essays in honour of Michael Greenslade' Published.1999

The Fynney people concerned in this case we have traced back to Fielding Best Fynney’s line as described in Sleigh at the marriage of Mary Fynney to William Mountford. Mary being a daughter of William Fynney the Calligrapher and his wife Elizabeth Nee Machin (Sleigh page 176) and grandparents to Fielding Best Fynney 1743 - 1806.

Further message to follow re the Richard Fynney mentioned on this topic.

BoyScout2

Offline BoyScout2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
Richard Fynney 1779 – 1869

The Richard Fynney mentioned in this topic was born in 1779 at Leek he was the son of William Fynney II born 1742 of Callow, (known also by other similar spellings Cowlow etc.) Alstonefield Staffordshire and Elizabeth (Nee Stubbs) born 1746 at Hulme End, Butterton, Staffordshire.
Richard Fynney on the 8th June 1806 married Ann Jones of Flintshire born 1778; the wedding took place at Flint, Montgomeryshire. Richard died in 1869 aged 90 years, also at Flint.
Richard’s ancestry can also be traced back to William Mountford and Mary Fynney the daughter of William Fynney and Mary (Nee Machin) as mentioned in the reply I posted earlier regarding the Cook v Fynney court case.
In presenting these facts in both of these recent entries it seems only fair to say that it is not all my own work and I have heavily replied upon a lady known on this forum as Fynney Johnson and a man who is not a member of this forum, who obviously I can’t name but is a member of the Heath family of Derbyshire and Staffordshire and a prime mover in the recording of these facts and the Heath family on Tribal Pages.

BoyScout2