Author Topic: Fynney family Leek  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
Re: Fynney family Leek
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 15 09:48 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB,
Thank you for that. I have spoken to the Leek and District Historical Society who could not help with the disc but were helpful in other areas. I am aware of the Bednall achieve which is a fascinating record and has been helpful with Fynney and associated families.
Any information on the Fynney family would be interesting. I have checked The Litchfield online search but there is nothing obvious.
Thanks again

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 15 09:55 GMT (UK) »
England 100

I have checked through my notes but I can't find anyone who fits in with Elizabeth Finney and Joseph Bratt. We have several named Elizabeth but her dates are wrong for the line we have been tracing.

Sorry

Boy Scout
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 November 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boy Scout
Have you seen this document at Derbyshire RO?
http://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D3580%2fZF%2f47&pos=41

It is a hand written account of the Fynney pedigree
"taken from Jacob's Peerage and the Gentleman's magazine" - no exact date on it - Derbys RO have estimated '19th Century"

It starts "The Fynney estate, near Leek, consisting of woodlands, was a gift of William the Conquerer.........", and goes through many, many generations.

There is also a hand drawn family tree of the Fynney's from William Fynney of Cheddleton, Leek, died 1584, at William Salt library in Stafford.
Ref Z/19/00p83

There is also a fantastic tome entitled "History of the Ancient Parish of Leek", (which I happened across on a second hand book stall in Leek market, but unfortunately couldn't buy!), written 1883 by John Sleigh of the Inner Temple, which has a whole chapter on the Fynneys. I'd say with pretty much the same information as the handwritten account at Derbyshire RO.  There is a beautiful picture of the "Fynney Brass" - to Fielding Best Fynney.

I have images if you'd be interested

I have a lot of information about the branch of Fynneys who then went to Ashford in the Water Derbyshire. I have not come across the CD you mention anywhere!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 November 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
May as well jump on the bandwagon! I have Finney ancestry, Sarah Finney b.1745 to William Finney and Anne Salt. She married James Brunt. They were from Ellastone.
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 November 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
May as well jump on the bandwagon! I have Finney ancestry, Sarah Finney b.1745 to William Finney and Anne Salt. She married James Brunt. They were from Ellastone.

hello distant relation! *waves*

sarah 1745 was elder sister to john 1753  (parents william/ann salt) my greatx4 granddad on my mothers side.

how far back have you got? i have
william (m ann salt) 1718
johnathan 1678
william 1636
raphe 1612
john 1578
thomas c 1555 - all from Ellastone. (couldnt find any gravestones for these - went yesterday.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 November 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah hello!! I'll pm you in a bit  :)
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 November 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boy Scout
Have you seen this document at Derbyshire RO?
http://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D3580%2fZF%2f47&pos=41

It is a hand written account of the Fynney pedigree
"taken from Jacob's Peerage and the Gentleman's magazine" - no exact date on it - Derbys RO have estimated '19th Century"

It starts "The Fynney estate, near Leek, consisting of woodlands, was a gift of William the Conquerer.........", and goes through many, many generations.

There is also a hand drawn family tree of the Fynney's from William Fynney of Cheddleton, Leek, died 1584, at William Salt library in Stafford.
Ref Z/19/00p83

There is also a fantastic tome entitled "History of the Ancient Parish of Leek", (which I happened across on a second hand book stall in Leek market, but unfortunately couldn't buy!), written 1883 by John Sleigh of the Inner Temple, which has a whole chapter on the Fynneys. I'd say with pretty much the same information as the handwritten account at Derbyshire RO.  There is a beautiful picture of the "Fynney Brass" - to Fielding Best Fynney.

I have images if you'd be interested

I have a lot of information about the branch of Fynneys who then went to Ashford in the Water Derbyshire. I have not come across the CD you mention anywhere!  ;)

WOW.... this has quite interesting ramifications as 'finneys' are supposed to be of irish descent but that article points to them being french .

very interesting, thanks for sharing :)
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 November 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Goldie61,
Thanks for that information. We have a copy of the Sleigh's history in the family but not in my personal possession and I have copies of the relevant pages. This history, although in Sleigh's book, was provided by Doctor Fielding Best Fynney 1743-1806. This same man was responsible for the Fynney Brass at Cheddleton. This brass is now difficult to see as it is high up the church wall at the rear having been moved from the chancery in the 1970's. This history is challenged in the gentleman's magazine of the time where also, as you say, it was published.
I was not aware of the handwritten tree and I will try to obtain a copy no doubt they will have an online system or post. We live in South Devon so calling in is not an option.
I will send you a pm with my details and would be interested to see what you have regarding Ashford, which I have no knowledge of.
Thanks for this it all sounds fascinating.

Boy Scout

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 November 15 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boy Scout
I'm glad to get confirmation of the decision I finally came to about the Fynney brass. :P
There are lots of references to it on-line - and the wonderful picture of it in Sleigh's book. However, I spent a very frustrating afternoon at Cheddleton church looking for it in the summer! Made even more frustrating as I had come some 12,000 miles to see it! (Well, not just that of course, but it was 'on my list')  The vicar and church warden were also in the church that afternoon - and neither of them knew anything about it - they both thought I was mad! There are several memorials in the church, most of them on the wall as you say - and the biggest is way, way up high so that you can't see it, or read anything on it. It now looks like it is made of slate of some sort and not brass, presumably as it hasn't been cleaned for many, many years. You would need a very long ladder to get anywhere near it. So I had to come to the conclusion that this  must be the missing Fynney one.
I have also read that there is a Fynney tomb 'in the chancel' at Cheddleton, but there was no sign of it, and as I said, the vicar and church warden knew nothing about any Fynneys in the church. She, the vicar, did say there were still Fynneys living locally.

Thanks for the pm.
cheers  8)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs