Author Topic: Margaret McCRINK/Bernard DORAN  (Read 11126 times)

Offline craftyannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret McCRINK/Bernard DORAN
« on: Thursday 14 October 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with Margaret born c 1862 Co Down and Bernard born c 1856 Co Down for family  background, where born, Census, siblings etc. She married  as McCLINK , aged 20, in Liverpool on 5.9.1882, Father- Edward Doran, Labourer, deceased, to BERNARD DORAN, aged 26, Father- Bernard Doran,  also deceased, Farmer. Witnesses-Patrick Cunningham and Ellen McCLINK

I think Edward Doran married a Catherine Quin[n] but no other details available. 

???   Any help would be much appreciated.                   thanks.

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McCRINK/Bernard DORAN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
I presume you mean Edward McKrink, rather than Edward Doran as Margaret's father.  The surname was spelt McCrink/McKrink/Mcrink and could be found mainly in South County Down, mostly in Kilbroney (Rostrevor) and Kilkeel parishes and your McKrinks appear to have lived in Kilkeel parish.

If you go to this website (www.ancestryireland) you will find the baptismal info for Margaret McCrink (father Edward McCrink, mother Catherine Quinn) in 1861.   I say baptismal rather than birth since civil registration didn't start until 1864.  This is a pay per view site but is worth it if you are not living in Ireland.  This website does not have ALL the births/baptisms for Co Down and Antrim, but it does have a lot.  You can also access birth information from this website www.familysearch.org (click on the International Genealogical Index button on the left hand side of the screen when you go into SEARCH.

This is what I found on Margaret and her family - Margaret seems to have had at least 9 siblings (that I could find online). 
Surname: McCrink; Mother's Surname: Quinn; Mother's Forename: Catherine; Father's Forename: Edward
MCCRINK   ELIZABETH 1851   
MCCRINK   JOHN   1856   
MCCRINK   SARAH   1857   
MCCRINK   PATRICK   1859
MCCRINK   MARGARET1861
MCCRINK   ELLEN   1863

International Genealogical Index-
ANNE MCKRINK born 30 Aug.1865 Kilkeel, Down (p.245 in civil register)
CATHERINE MC KRINK born 8 Nov.1867 Co. Down
Edward McCrink born 15 Non.1872 Kilkeel, Down
James McCrink born 8 July1877 Kilkeel, Down

With regard to census information, you won't be able to find anything before 1901 for Co. Down as they were all destroyed.  However, we do have census substitutions and one is the Griffiths Valuation Index which gives the name of the head of household and the townland he lived in.
Your McKrinks (they are spelt McRink on the Griffiths) lived in Ballynahatten townland in Kilkeel parish.  This is the website where you can access information on Edward (who is landlord was, etc.) - see here

You can see the actual page as well and from this, it looks like Edward shared a site with a Sarah McRink (possibly his mother since he has a daughter also called Sarah).  The Griffiths Valuation was taken in 1863/1864 but there was also a Tithes Index taken in 1830 which also gives the head of household and in Ballynahatten, the McCrink living there was John (possibly Edward's father, again he has a son called John).

Unfortunately the Kilkeel Roman Catholic parish records only started in 1839 but are illegible up to 1845 so you won;t be able to find Edward's birth or his parents.

I can't find this family in the 1901 census in Ballynahatton.  There was a McCrink family living in Ballynahatton but Hugh was born c. 1841.  He could have been a younger brother of Edward - he was born too early to be one of Edward's sons.  This family is gone by 1911.  I think Hugh's son Thomas (McRink) is a servant in 1911, so his parents must be dead by then.

I believe this is the death of Margaret's father :
Edward M'Crink, age 59, Jan - Mar 1882, Kilkeel Registration District, volume 1, page 461

and possibly her mother's death :
Catherine M'Crink, age 68, Jul - Sep 1903, Kilkeel Registration District, volume 1, page 382

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
wow what an answer from Murney, im sure you all know http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/which is useful for townland maps under civil parishes etc
good luck jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline johnpireland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I saw this posting and I wanted to let you know that the McCrink name is still alive and well in Ireland.
My name is June Ireland (nee McCrink). My father was James McCrink from Kilkeel and my grandfather was Edward McCrink from Ballynahatten, brother of Margaret McCrink.

This is what I know of my grandfather, Edward. Edward died when I was 11 (1958) when he was 86, although he always said he didn't know how old he was. He was illiterate, as many were at that time. This is why he doesn't appear in the 1911 census. His mother, Sarah, was the only one in the family that could read and write and she completed the 1901 census for the family. But she died in 1902 so 1911 was left blank.

Most of Edwards brothers and sisters moved to Liverpool for work and one went to Boston. His brother James, moved to New York. Edward didn't see any of his brothers or sisters after they left Ireland. As he couldn't read or write, he lost all contact with them. They were a close family and he missed his brothers and sisters. He always told me stories about them.
Edward remained in Ireland to run the family farm. Edward married Elenor Cambell (I am not sure when) and had 2 children Edward born 1900 and James (my father) born 1902. Elenor died when my father was 7 years old. She was a dressmaker. I believe she died of TB. Edward remarried when my father was 10 years old to a Mary McEvoi. They had another 6 children who were Thomas, Hugh, Stephen, Pat Joe, Lena and Mary-Margaret. They are all now deceased. All of the children remained in Kilkeel except for Edward who moved to America (I am not sure where) and then onto Ontario. He never returned to Ireland but I know he married an English woman named Flo and they had one daughter named Doreen.
My father, James, married Kathleen Curran and they had two children Teresa and Une. Kathleen died of TB when the children were 18 months and 6 months old. He remarried Mary McGivern, my mother and had 7 children. James, Edward, Margaret, Gerrard, Bridgit me, June, the youngest. All of us lived in Kilkeel or the surrounding district. My husband and I moved to England 7 years ago but my sisters and brothers and their children still live there. The McCrink family name still lives on in Kilkeel.
My daddy spoke about his Aunty Margaret who moved to Liverpool. I can't remember specific stories but always knew I had connections to Liverpool. I hope this is useful. If you have any information about the McCrinks that moved to America and Canada it would be interesting to find out what happened to them.
Best Wishes
June Ireland (nee McCrink)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 10 14:00 GMT (UK) »
The McCrinks of Ballynahattan are in the 1911 census (illiterate people's returns were filled out by enumerators)- under McCruik of Ballymahattan  ::)

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Mourne_Park/Ballymahattan/245886
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Mourne_Park/Ballymahattan/245885

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnpireland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 10 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. It is great to view my fathers name online.

Best wishes,
June Ireland

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 12 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi June/Murney

I think I am descended from a Hugh McCrink/McKrink from Killowen in Kilbroney parish who was baptised the son of James McKrink and Jane Feran on 2 October 1834 (sponsors Patrick & Margaret Feran).

It seems he was a sailor who, at age 20, jumped ship in Sydney Harbour during the Australian Gold Rushes and stayed, marrying another Irish immigrant the next year and dying in 1902 in Glebe, Sydney.

I notice there are Hugh McCrinks in your families, though from different times, and wondered whether our McCrinks were related. My Hugh McCrink seems to have had a sister Mary baptised 1821 and another sister Eleanor baptised 1831. His mother Jane McCrink nee Feran may have died in 1852 as there is a burial record for a Jane McCrink that year in County Down on Rootsireland.ie, though I haven't purchased the full record.

I can tell you some more about Hugh in Australia if you are interested. I'm not 100% sure of the above details.

Kind regards
Rhys

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhys

I was just answering a post on McCrinks - they are not my family, so I can't help you there.  However, there were lots of McCrinks living in Kilbroney and Kilkeel parish in the 19th century and may not have been closely related, so it would be hard to link your Hugh up with the Ballymahatton McCrinks from Kilkeel.

Regards

Murney

Offline CiaraKeenan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 October 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm not sure if this chat is still active. But my name is Ciara Keenan, granddaughter of Mary-Margaret McCrink from Ballynahattem. She had 11 children from who my father (Eugene) was one and we all still reside in Northern Ireland. Does anyone have any information on her husband Francis Keenan. He was involved in military and I'm finding it difficult to find records of his birth. He may have lied. Family stories say he was only 13/14 when he went away with army?
Thank you