Author Topic: Hayes of Carrigatoher Tipperary  (Read 26929 times)

Offline Shane McNally

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes of Carrigatoher Tipperary
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 01:38 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled on to this chat site by doing a Hayes search, my gr grandfather was John C Hayes born in Bally Tipperary 1841 and emigrated to the US as a young child , he had an older Brother Cornelious and other siblings that also emigrated to the states, wonder if theres a connection, he lived in Illinois most of his life.

Offline Bernie 46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 08 May 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,

There seems to be several Hayes families in Tipperary and I think that your ancestors are not connected to mine.

Good Luck with your research.
Bernie

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
I have a family connection to John Hayes who migrated from Neagh to Victoria in 1854. Bendigo region. He was born around 1844 to Matthew Hayes and Mary Hogan.
All these details confirmed by records I've sited and obits.
Year of migration from death cert, can't find actual migration record or who he came out age 10 with?
Have tested also the Hayes yDNA so that might be of interest if you have any known Hayes males relatives.
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline Jan007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 31 March 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
Well everyone I have some resolution.  There is a paper trail and proof of some of these relationships.  My Thomas Hayes (b 1829 to John Hayes and Bridget Quigley) is the sibling of Catherine Hayes wife of Adam Young.  Bridget (the mother) did die in Australia so she also immigrated to there.  I will still work on the Matthew line but am leaning toward the idea that Matthew who married Catherine Bourke was the son of John and Bridget.  This is based partly on the fact that Matthew is buried in the same grave ad Bridget in Stawell.  Also buried there are 2 of his children and the mother is identified as Catherine Bourke (thank you Gerry for this information).

Just to recap  Thomas and his family who went to the USA .  Catherine and at least her mother went to Australia.  I believe I found her passenger list as well which says she is going to her brother in Ballarat so at least 1 brother was there too for sure.

Where does this leave things for the Matthew who married Honora Carmody?  Based on trying to compile all of the information presented so far with what records I have seen (mostly the digital images from the parish records)here's my conclusion.  Matthew Hayes married Hanora (written as Judith in the record book) in Feb 1858.  He was born 1839 the son of Matthew Hayes and Ellen Berkery who were married 1821. He was the 2nd child they named Matthew. 

Matthew and Hanora also had a son Matthew in 1867 that apparently left Ireland in 1889 and married a woman he met on the ship (see a previous post in this string for details from his family).

In looking at the parish registers from Youghalarra I find that John Hayes and Bridget  had the greatest number of children with the surname Hayes from 1829-1860.  That's followed by Matthew Hayes and Ellen who had 6 that I found.  After 1860 only 2 families with the Hayes surname were prolific- Thomas (son of John) and his wife Catherine, and Matthew (son of Matthew) and his wife Honora.  It's apparent that most of the other Hayes people had either not survived to adulthood or had left the area.  I'm inclined to believe that Thomas and Matthew may well have been cousins.  Perhaps their fathers (John and Matthew) were brothers.

I'd love to hear back from anyone on this.  As time has gone by more and more information has become available.  Anyone have anything new to add?