Author Topic: An unusual story .... can someone please help  (Read 15834 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An unusual story .... can someone please help
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
There is a naturalisation record on the National Archives site - but it is closed for 100 years, so 16 to go!!  Probably not yours as he is Polish and has a daughter.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=5111823&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5

When did he travel to SA?  You say shortly after the death, so that would narrow down the dates a lot!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
There is a naturalisation record on the National Archives site - but it is closed for 100 years, so 16 to go!!  Probably not yours as he is Polish and has a daughter.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=5111823&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5

When did he travel to SA?  You say shortly after the death, so that would narrow down the dates a lot!

Is that the one from 1926 - it also seems to mention a child which wouldn't be the case if he was born 1914  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Yes - as I say, not likely to be the right one if the birth date is correct, but given that the OP seems to have so few details I thought I would mention it.  Also the fact that seems to be the only one!

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Yes  - there was one in Glasgow but that was 1913  :-\

Shazzafitz
Is this a family story? As has been said- when did he arrive in SA - that may help but it is looking very difficult. Had he changed his name then that is even more difficult.
What was his occupation on his passport?
I can't think now .. but did passports indicate which office they were issued at- in terms of regions of UK?

Offline shazzafitz

• I am have stopped all new email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
I dont know when he arrived in south africa but he married my mother Lilly Segill in 1950 in Johanneburg. He was noted as a widower when he married my mother in 1950.

That is all the information I have as I only found out a few months back that he died 29 years ago. I so desperately want to find out who he was and where he came from.

best wishes 

Offline Rafter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
A search of passenger lists to South Africa (Find my past)  brings up the following male passengers:

SHAPERA I. born 1905 departs Southampton to Cape 1929
SHAPIRO (no initial) born 1894 departs Southampton to Cape 1929

Rafter

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
This is where your post on the SA board should come in handy - we need help from some experts on things like the contents of death certs in SA and naturalisation records - maybe he told more on the latter?  Also the shipping records - to see whether he travelled alone.  Also his occupation might help pin him down in the UK.

I have added a link to this thread on the South Africa thread.

:)

p.s. red message - Rafter just posted some likely shipping records!

(incidentally - why did you give 1929 as the earliest date for the marriage?)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
I dont know when he arrived in south africa but he married my mother Lilly Segill in 1950 in Johanneburg. He was noted as a widower when he married my mother in 1950.
That is all the information I have as I only found out a few months back that he died 29 years ago. I so desperately want to find out who he was and where he came from.
best wishes 

I'm sorry it's all questions.
If this is all the info you have where does the story come from re the bride's death -- as that is what is guiding our searches.
Could his first marriage have been  first in SA?

Offline shazzafitz

• I am have stopped all new email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Arronroots Isaac Shapiro was my father and before he died he told me the story of his Uk bride. On my mothers death certificate it states he was a widower when he married her. I only found out  a few months back that my father died in 1981 all alone in Australia. I didnt know him all that well and am trying to find out who he was and as much as I can about his life. His first marriage was definitely in the UK. I remember as a child he travelled on a British Passport so he must have been a british citizen. Is there a way to get information about his citizenship in the Uk and passport. info.