Author Topic: Reverend John William Conway Hughes  (Read 13536 times)

Offline cherrych

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend John William Conway Hughes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 January 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I think you must be a second cousin of my husband and his brothers or perhaps third cousin of my children's! I'm at present putting together an extensive family tree going way back, from the genealogy research done by the Rev JW CH - I don't think he can have had much time for revving as the work he did is massive.

If you are the great grandchild of JW CH, you are about 15th in direct descent from Saint Robert Ferrar!

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 January 11 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Cherrych
I am scrambling for Google to get some info regarding Robert Ferrar. You have the advantage. You call him 'Saint' - is that because he was a devout martyr?
I count five generations from me back to J.W Conway Hughes.
Atkinson. Empson. Overton. Lynch. Revell. Wood. Peagram. Stanford-Davis.Savins.

Offline cherrych

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 January 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
He was burnt at the stake in carmarthen in 1555 (born 1505) for his beliefs, after a mock trial. jw conway hughes was twelve generations from him. ferrar was made an ordinary saint and then in about 1960 he was promoted to being a first class saint, but whether he's been demoted again i don't know. I've just checked online and can't find him as a saint. Maybe he is no longer one.

You'll find loads on the internet about robert ferrar.

Your family must have had their children younger than our side to fit in five generations! there are only two between jw conway hughes and my husband - his father john and john's father llewelyn, from jw's second wife elizabeth blewett. You must be from the first wife sarah macdonald. That would account for one 'generation' and then both my father in law and his father had their children late in life.

hope that helps?

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
cherrych
I am intrigued and I am curious enough to ask you for clarification on a few 'holes' in my information -which is sparse to say the least.
Do you have the names, birth , marriage, death of John William Conway Hughes parents?
Did he have any brothers and sisters?
Our line is from Conway Hughes eldest daughter Gertude [first marriage] so the generations are older than your line. It appears that there were several children [of both marriages??] that died as babies or very young children.
Any information is gratefully received - my brothers think I am nuts but are still mildly interested but I am 'hooked' and really want a little more family information.

Offline cherrych

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 February 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
His father was also John, born 1796. he married Lucy Maria Vicary and they had five daughters and two sons - Lucy 1819-66, Emily 1822, John William 1823-87, Helen 1926, Theodossa 1829, Frederick 1831-71, Caroline 1836 and  Henry 1837. I'm going through all JW's paperwork and it's very muddled, but I'll be able to give you more dates etc once I've done it.

It seems it's quite a grand Welsh lineage, but I think the Saint Robert Ferrar part may have been a family myth as surely all saints are Catholic and he was Lutheran, and as you said, there's nothing online about him being a saint!

I'm not sure how to send you the full family tree and the lives of the people on it once I've put it together as it's huge and way too much to type out here. How do we get each other's email addresses without giving them to the whole world?

Tell your brothers what you are doing is very important and they will be fascinated once you've done all the hard work! All our family think I'm daft too, but I did my family's side and they were all thrilled. I wasn't intending to do my husband's side but found all JW's paperwork and got intrigued. It would all be lost otherwise. In years to come, your great great grand children will be interested to read about you!

Offline brad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 03:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching some of the names you have like Peagram , Standford Davis and Savins . I live in new Zealand I have a John Savins mother was Ann from Oxford and a Pheobe Peagram on my late husbands side would be keen to hear from you. Brad.
OXFORD: Humphries, Stanford Savins Riddle Harper:
LONDON: Ambridge.Skinner.Cole MacDonald.
Germany : Otto .Grabouski:
Poland :Grabouski.
Essex : Peagram.
Lancashire: Livesey.
Northern Ireland:O'Loan.Bradley. O'Kane.
Ireland. Carroll --Wicklow.Coughlan--Waterford:Carton Wicklow.
Lynch/Fagan  Cork / Dublin:O'Regan Cork:Malone --Clare.O'Brien --Clare:Kerry----Delaney:
isle of Wight : Salter, Gatrill, Frampton.
Warwickshire: Webb, Fulford.
New Zealand only: Davis.

Offline Sunny_26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 April 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Queenie / Cherrych

JWC Hughes is my 4th great grandfather and his daughter Gertrude from his marriage to Sarah Ann Macdonald James is my 3rd great grandmother. I notice that queenie said she is also her great grandmother, I wonder how we are related?
Cherrych, I am not sure if you still get on here but I would love to find out more about the research JWC Hughes did on his genealogy.
If you get this message, could you please let me know as I would love to exchange details.
Regards, Greg.

Offline queenie3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 April 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg
My line is via Mary Campbell Hamilton b 18 October 1878 - she was the fourth of 6 children of Gertrude Hughes and George Douglas Hamilton. She married twice - Joseph James Oakley 16 January 1899 - 5 children. Her second marriage - Charles peter Sampson 21 August 1919- 3 children. Herbert Sampson second to eldest was my father.  What is your line?

Offline Sunny_26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 April 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply queenie.
My line is from Mary Gertude Campbell's sister Irene Celian Gertrude b 21 Oct 1878 d 30 Jan 1952. She married James Alexander Scully and had 17  children! The 4th was my grandmothers father Denis William Scully.
I have Charles Peter Sampson in my tree but I only have 1 child to Peter and Mary - which is your father Herbert b 1935. Who were the other 2 children?
I have done some extensive research on the Hamilton line via George Douglas and have been able to trace our line back to John Hamilton, Archbishop of St Andrews who at one point was Lord High Treasurer of Scotland to his brother James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran.
The Hamiltons were a very connected family and George Douglas's father William Hamilton was at one point esquire of Croft-an-Righ House which is a house on the outskirts of Holyrood Palace.
Do you have many photos of the Mary Gertrude Campbell or her family?
Did you end up getting much information from Cherrych regarding JWC Hughes?