Author Topic: Parish registers for Stratford Essex  (Read 10785 times)

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish registers for Stratford Essex
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
I have a George WHITE born c 1821 in Stratford / Stratford Green / West Ham (according to different censuses).

I'm finding it difficult to work out which baptism registers to search.  Was Stratford a parish in its own right?  Are the registers at the LMA?  (A search of Ancestry's recent digitisation of London parish registers did not give me anything.)

I think his father was John WHITE who in 1843 was still alive and described as a Licenced Victualler.  A John WHITE owned the Three Pigeons public house in Stratford Green in the 1820s and this might be the same man.  I cannot identify George or John with any certainty in the 1841 census.

Grateful for any help - would particularly like to know if Stratford parish registers (if there are any) have been published or are available online.  Thanks.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers for Stratford Essex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Stratford is included in the Essex parish records.

This link could help.

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline kesannah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
The Parish Church for Stratford is St.Johns, which is in The Broadway.Stratford
Hide/Hyde Kent,Sussex,West Ham
Beale/Burgess Sussex
Reed West Ham,East Ham London
Banks Seaford,Rottingdean Sussex
Koller Poplar London,Como Italy.
Checkley Northamptonshire.
Bentley Northamptonshire.West Ham,Poplar
Ridley Gatehead Durham Northumberland.
Poplar.Galt, Ontario, Canada
Corbyn Poplar,West Ham.Suffolk
Merritt Norwich.West ham
Watson Norwich,West Ham

Corbyn Fressingield Suffolk
Ridley.Galt Ontario

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I did look on that site before I posted (and several others) ... most record office sites have a list of the parishes they cover and their register holdings, but I couldn't find one on the Essex RO site .... I tried their search engine and it would seem to indicate their baptism registers for Stratford only go back to 1834 ... ?

Is St. John's Stratford an ancient parish or a (relatively) modern one?  Was it a parish in 1821?  Or a chapelry of some other parish?    Thanks.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 October 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

The East London Family History Society has a very useful webpage on East London and the parts of Essex that finally became part of Greater London in 1965, their churches and records

http://www.eolfhs.org.uk/parishmenu/index.html

e.g.

'Stratford Church (St. John) was erected in 1834, from the designs of Mr. Blore, on what was the village Green, at the parting of the roads to Romford and Leytonstone.....Originally a chapel-of-ease to West Ham, it was made a district church in 1844 and a parochial vicarage in 1868.'

So before 1834 Stratford parish was part of West Ham parish.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 October 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Though Essex RO hold the original parish registers for All Saints West Ham it is worth contacting the London borough of Newham Archives and Local Studies as they have I believe indexed the parish registers of some chuirches in their area.

http://www.newham.gov.uk/EntertainmentandLeisure/Libraries/LibraryReferenceServices/ArchivesAndLocalHistory/Servicesatthearchivesandlocalstudieslibrary.htm

Regards

Valda

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 October 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Valda - you are a star (or rather "awesomeness on toast" as a young person of my acquaintance has a habit of saying  ;D) ...  I don't post to rootschat very often but you have usually come riding to my rescue.  That would explain why I couldn't find any registers pre-1834. Still not sure why West Ham parish registers aren't popping up on Ancestry's London digitisation: I thought they were taking a rather broad view of what constitutes London.

Incidentally, for posterity if anyone is searching for John WHITE, I found this: “DEATHS. June 16th, Mr. John White, of the Kent road, late of the Three Pigeons, Stratford Green, in his 64th year” (from The Essex Standard, 2 July, 1847, issue 863).  Ancestry reveals that he was buried at Nunhead Cemetery.  I still think he’s mine – his movement from Essex to the Old Kent Road area exactly matches the movement of George, who I think was his son.

Thanks again.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 October 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Love the 'awesomeness on toast' - thankyou

Hopefully the London and Middlesex board on Rootschat can help explain

Re: ***LMA/Ancestry "Missing" Parishes***

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,430983.30.html

The link is to the final page of the topic specifically on Essex/London parishes - the first page details other parishes that will not be included in the Ancestry data set and why (they have to be original deposited registers held at the London Metropolitan Archives or Guildhall Library) and page 2 gives information on Bishops Transcripts - copies made yearly and sent to the local Bishop some of which the LMA holds - this might be your understanding of the 'broad view of what constitutes London' (see the topic on the Surrey board for instance for BTs and Ancestry)

LONDON DIGITALISATION PROGRAMME AND SURREY PARISH RECORDS

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,438088.0.html

Ancestry has entered into a financial deal with the LMA and the Guildhall Library to index and put up online images of the original parish registers held by these repositories. No other record office which holds original parish registers of any churches now in the Greater London area is as yet involved.

Regards

Valda

Offline bafni

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a George WHITE born c 1821 in Stratford / Stratford Green / West Ham (according to different censuses).

I'm finding it difficult to work out which baptism registers to search.  Was Stratford a parish in its own right?  Are the registers at the LMA?  (A search of Ancestry's recent digitisation of London parish registers did not give me anything.)

I think his father was John WHITE who in 1843 was still alive and described as a Licenced Victualler.  A John WHITE owned the Three Pigeons public house in Stratford Green in the 1820s and this might be the same man.  I cannot identify George or John with any certainty in the 1841 census.

Grateful for any help - would particularly like to know if Stratford parish registers (if there are any) have been published or are available online.  Thanks.

If you got to http://www.stjohnse15.co.uk/history/registers.html there are links to all the registers at SEAX covering what is now Stratford parish. In 1821 West Ham was still a single parish, so any registers will be with All Saints, http://tinyurl.com/ca785ka at SEAX.

hth