Author Topic: Henry Desmond  (Read 7620 times)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Desmond
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
This really is a long shot that anyone can help.
I have been researching the Desmond family in the Claudy area of Derry (parish of Cumber Upper).
I've got back to John Desmond born round about 1818 (calculated from his death record) but with no evidence of where he was born.
I have discovered a Henry Desmond on the 1796 Flax Growers' list in Moville Lower but I can't link him to the later Desmonds. The name Desmond is rare in Northern Ireland, otherwise I might have dismissed this. Moville and Claudy aren't so far from each other either. I really don't know where to go with this. I've looked on the movillerecords.com site but Henry Desmond is elusive and I haven't found another Desmond in Donegal.
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline joedes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Desmond
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
All the Desmond's come from County Cork. There is a story in my family that one of the Desmond's was going to Glasgow. He was a cabinet maker. He met a girl from Claudy that had a cottage industry making cloths. They moved to Derry and set up Desmond Shirt Factory. He never made it to Scotland. These Desmond's were from Macroom in County Cork. I'm not sure which Desmond this guy was as I'm only focusing on my direct line, but the family had names like: Humphrey, Andrew, Jeremiah, John, Denis, Michael, Dan Pat and Patrick. The girls were almost always Johanna, Mary, Julia, Ann, Abina/Abigail, Hanora (Nora), Catherine, Margaret.

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Joedes
Thanks for your reply. I have often wondered if my Desmonds came from Cork originally as it is a common name down there but I've never been able to make a link. The Desmond who started the shirt factory in Claudy was Bridget Desmond, who was the daughter-in-law of the John Desmond I mentioned in my first message. She married the son also called John in about 1885 and he joined her in her enterprise, which grew into a major business. Sadly the last of the Desmond shirt factories closed some years ago.
This website gives you more info on Bridget.
http://www.newulsterbiography.co.uk/index.php/home/viewPerson/386

MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Desmond recorded in the Flax Bounty was probably related to either John Desmod, recorded at Drumaweir townland, Moville Lower or possibly another John Desmod recorded at Drung townland, Moville Upper, both in the year 1774. It should be remembered that the spelling of surnames was somewhat arbitrary in this time period, so Desmod was probably Desmond. Another assessment was recorded in Upper Moville parish in 1792, but no Desmond or similar are recorded.  It may also be however that both Desmod above and Desmond recorded in 1796 are misspelling of the more common (in the locality) Dermott

Regards     
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello joemc
Thanks so much for your message. I've had a look on movillerecords.com and understand your point about spellings. I'll bear that in mind.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
another birth record that may be of interest

John Desmond baptised Long Tower Church, Derry in 1851, father John Desmond, mother Eliza

Don't have full access to this record but may give mothers maiden name

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks joemc - that's one I don't think I have on my list.

Offline Pjmullan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I am researching my tree of Mullan from claudy and from what info I have it would appear John Desmond sr  who was from cork married Ann Mullan from claudy who was a sister to my GG G/F. There son John had the shirt factory's

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pjmullan
Thank you so much for this information, which is really interesting. My John Desmond was married to Nancy (surname unknown) and this could easily be Ann as these names can be interchangeable.
I will send you a private message if that's ok.