Author Topic: Templars Brothers from Rougham?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Templars Brothers from Rougham?
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Researching an Isaac Templar in Southwark I have come across two other Templars, Jacob and William.  All three appear to have been bricklayers, they are all within the same area of Southwark and appear to have been born between 1765 & 1785.  Isaac Templar married Hannah Riley in 1794 and had at least 3 daughters, William Templar married Charlotte Tyre in 1810 and had numerous children.  Jacob Templar married Elizabeth and had a son Isaac Templar in 1814, daughters Ann & Sarah Templar.

The 1851 Census has William & Charlotte Templar living with Elizabeth Templar his sister in law and his birthplace is given as Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but this is entered as Rougham in 1861 when he is in the workhouse in Southwark.  Jacob Templar died 1847 in southwark and his year of birth appears to be 1780/81.  IGI gives a baptism of a Jacob Templar in Rougham son of Isaac & Ann Templar June 1781.  So there is definitely a link between William & Jacob.  Jacob has died before birthplace is entered in 1851 but his entry under Templeman in 1841 gives him as being born outside the county ie Surrey.

Unfortunately, Isaac Templar dies in 1840 prior to any census and there is no record of  a baptism either in Southwark or Suffolk although there is a listing of an Isaac Templar of Rougham marrying an Sarah Everade in 1799 - possibly the father remarrying as I can find no reference to any children from this pair.  My Isaac Templar was married to Hannah with children by this point.    Any help to either establish or dismiss a link between Isaac Templar and Jacob & William Templar from Rougham, Suffolk would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Sarenid

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Templars Brothers from Rougham?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
I have found Jacob Templar, son of Isaac and Ann, baptised 10 June 1781, Rougham on Family Search Pilot and also William Templar, son of Isaac and Ann, baptised 13 March 1785, Rougham.  In addition, there is a Joseph Templar, son of Isaac Templar and Ann Coe baptised 4 April 1789 Rougham.  But of an Isaac Templar of the correct age and birthplace as yet I have found no sign whatsoever.  Mind you, I must admit that I do find these 'subjective' searches hard; have been trying to tie together a group of my Durham line in a similar fashion,  and it is really difficult.

Will post again if I find anything useful!

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thqnks Greensleeves -  I have found them - I even also found a burial for an Isaac Templar in Roryham died 1822 aged 84 - no Roryham in Suffolk I can find? but could be a mistranscription for Rougham.  I also found the marriage of Isaac Templar and Sarah Everade and on the Pilor familysearch it clearly shows them as both previous marrital status as widowed. 

I really must try all the familysearches as I did try the search on the original and the Beta but not on the Pilot - oops!   I am now going to see if I can trace up Joseph in the Southwark area.  thank you so much for the help - it is so irritating when one feels fairly sure there is connection but one cannot actually find the evidence to prove it.

Regards Sarenid

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, suffolk burial index confirms:

Isaac templar Rougham  13/11/1822 age 84
no other isaacs listed.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Brilliant now if only I can actually link the my Isaac with William, Jacob, Joseph and the Isaac b1738 I can take my tree back another generation.  thanks so much for the help.

Regards sarenid

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
other Templar burials in Rougham:

Margaret  1/10/1775  sife of Isaac
Joseph     4/2/1778
Sarah      21/1/1781
Margaret  18/7/1781  wid
Joseph      1/8/1803
Sarah        8/2/1807  age 62  wife of Isaac
Ann            19/8/1817 age 72

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
wonder whether your Hannah and Ann are same person??

Diddy

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diddy

That gives me some names to go with brilliant!  It looks as if Sarah died 1807 is Sarah Everade who he married 1799.

Hannah died 1852 and I have found her in 1841 and 1851 census intriguingly she came from Seckington in Warwickwhire married Isaac in southwark and it seems her middle daughter Mary Ann married her first cousin a Zachariah Riley born in Leicestershire son of Humphrey Riley Hannah Riley's older brother.  Amazing how people moved around, one kind of expects them at this time to be marrying within their own village or those close by.

Thanks for your help
Regards Sarenid

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
I think 'Roryham' is a mistranscription of Rougham; also there is one record transcribed as 'Rongham' which it is reasonable to assume is also Rougham.

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk