Author Topic: RAF Takoradi Run  (Read 2245 times)

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Takoradi Run
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi hoping for some help finding a book please. Its a fiction book, not non fiction.
My elderly Father who is 89 served as a wireless mechanic RAF and was posted as part of the Takoradi run. He can remember many years ago borrowing a book from a library which was a Fictional account of what happened as part of the takoradi run. He can't remember any other details and the library cannot help. Has anyone out there read such a book/ knows the name of it/the author?? many thanks.
North East of England

Offline chrisw192

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Takoradi Run
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
I know you poseted your request a long time ago, but I've only just seen it.
There is a book called 'To Play The Fox', written by Frank Barnard in 2008 and published by Headline Publishing, which has a small section in it about the Takoradi run.It's a novel about fighter pilots in World War Two.
Hope this helps.

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Takoradi Run
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks for the reply. I think that was the one we eventually found. My dad died age 93 back in 2014, but having got him his RAF records before he died , I managed to get him to fill in some of the gaps about his war experiences as , like many of his generation, he didn't talk much about it.
I also managed to get him a book called Wires, wheels and wings- a wireless mechanics diary by Harry Reddin. I brought it here when we cleared the house, but I haven't read it yet myself, though it's on the to do pile. It describes the wireless mechanics and ground crew as unsung heroes, something my dad would not have recognised!
Thanks again and welcome to Rootschat.
North East of England