Author Topic: How can I find Mary Fleming - ex pupil of the Model School in Lurgan!!  (Read 6850 times)

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How can I find Mary Fleming - ex pupil of the Model School in Lurgan!!
« on: Monday 18 October 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Help please : I have a book, which I  bought many years ago in a jumble sale, probably somewhere in London. The book is called "The Young Huguenots or the Soldiers of the Cross" and was written by Edith S Floyer.  The book was first published in 1879, but there is not date or edition number in the book that I have to tell me the date my copy was published.

In the front of the book is a sticker - the book was given to Mary Fleming of Model School, Lurgan by the "Temperance Education Board (Ireland)".  It also has the words "Fifth Standard" on the sticker.  I suppose it was a prize of some sort.

I have contacted the Model School who are interested in the book - but do not have records going back to the early years of the school which was founded in 1863.

As I have no idea of the date of my copy - how could I go about finding Mary Fleming?  I know it's a longshot - but does this name mean anything to anyone in Lurgan reading this post?  I would like to give the book back to Mary or her descendants, or - if I cannot find anyone - I will send it to the school!

Any help gratefully received!!

Tilly
Lancaster- L. Buzzard  Johnson - Northampts
Lancaster, Perryer-Fulham
Clifford - London, ssx, S Africa, Berks, Wilts  
Divall-Ssx  Randall-Ssx, Surrey 
Rossi-Sienna Notts Leics London   
Brimfield    Seton 
Rix - Norfolk   Burke - Co Clare

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find Mary Fleming - ex pupil of the Model School in Lurgan!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Another long shot but a Mary Jane Fleming was born in Lurgan on 15 Dec 1870 to John Fleming and Mary McCann. In my day fifth standard would have been when a child was about 11 years old.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Kingskerswell

thank you very much for your reply - it is a possibility, she would have been in fifth standard then in about 1881, which would fit with the date of the book!

I will write back to the school and see if there is a Mary Fleming at the school at about that time...... if they have the records.

I wonder if she stayed in Lurgan and married there, or went somewhere else.....................

Regards

Tilly
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Tilly,
      Proni, Public record office Northern Ireland, hold many school records but unfortunately they are closed until about next April/May.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
I looked in the 1901 & 1911 censuses for the Fleming family. I only found one family that might fit. Mary's age is not quite right for a birth in 1870 so I have some reservations. But if it is the correct family, then she was away from home in 1901 but has returned by 1911. She didn't marry and she became a teacher, in a National school.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Lurgan_Urban/Union_Street/1026492/

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Lurgan_Urban/Union_Street/296918/

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Elwyn and King

Thank you very much for the extra information.

I found this yesterday "In 1906 the Board of Education in Ireland made "Hygiene and Temperance " a compulsory subject in the public schools ."

So Mary could have been a pupil at the school around that date.

I have had a look at the censuses - the Mary (William John's wife) who is aged 60 in the 1901 census - I agree, I don't think she fits as she is too old.

The 1911 census - This Mary (William's sister) might fit - but she would have been born in 1865, so if she was at the school until she was 11, she would have left in 1876, and the book hadn't been written by then.

I am not sure whether the school was Church of Ireland or Catholic - I shall contact them again and ask, as this would help (I think ???) in finding the right family.  I must also ask them what age was 5th standard!

Thank you VERY much again for your help

Tilly
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
I lived beside the school for most of life and it only became non denominational in the last 20 years. Prior to that it was a "non Catholic" school with all protestant denominations attending.
Areas Lurgan and neighbouring townlands in the Parishes of Shankill and Seagoe, Toomebridge County Antrim, Queens County New York, Hartford Connecticut, Michigan USA. Names Doyle McElroy Pollock  Harte Neill Hall Mc Cully Wright Boyle Murray Mc Conaghy Mc Cann Brown Patterson Carson Hines Lauder Waters Watson Hendron Tweedy Warnock

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
I lived beside a Miss Fleming (originally from Union Street in Lurgan) in Portadown( a neighbouring town).

She never married.  Unsure of her christian name though as I was young at the time. I will check with my Mum and Dad to see if she had any relatives. She passed away after I was married in the early 1990's.

Regards,
Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Doylers and Aljepeka

Thank you very much for your messages.

If our Mary is the one who was your neighbour, Aljepeka, then she cannot be either of the Mary's in the censuses.... but maybe a relation of some sort?  Was she very old when she died?

What a puzzle!!  But I would like to think that we are going to find a member of her family, who would be interested in the book.

I am attaching a picture of the "sticker" in the front of the book.  I think it was meant to be a very "uplifting" story - although the first sentence of the chapter I am just beginning made me chuckle : "Two or three days passed, and the natural cheerfulness of the French temperament reasserted itself"..... I live in France (my husband is French) and they are anything but cheerful at the moment!! ::)

I am keeping the school informed of all the information that is sent to me - and I know they are very grateful, too.

Tilly
Brimfield    Seton