Author Topic: Phelps Family From Gloucestershire  (Read 10634 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phelps Family From Gloucestershire
« on: Monday 18 October 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Mary Phelps lived at Barbers Bridge farm  near Tibberton and Rudford in the 1800s.(NEWANT DISTRICT)He dies 1823.They had 3 sons and 4 daughters. Thomas,William( my ancestor), Henry ,Hestor(who marries a Joseph Gough),Sophia,Susanna and Harriet.

William marries 1812 at Tibberton church  a Mary Lewis and they have a number of children. They die in 1857 and 1853.Eleanor b 1813 was my GG Grandmother and she marries a Palmer in Charlton Kings in 1832. Some of
 Her brothers are - Jamesb1821 of Stile farm Harescombe. John of Bobin Farm b1829.Edwin b 1826.Cornelius b1828-a farm Bailiff at Hill Place  Harescombe and at Parkend lodge Haresfield.
On the1861 census the name is spelt Philps but by 1881 is again shown as Phelps.He married a Mary Ann Millington .
Samuel marries a Hannah french from Slimbridge .They also lived at Bobin farm.He was committed in 1864 to the Asylum  not long after the death of his wife and dies 1868.

Sisters include Amelia b1831,Sophiab1837,
There a number of Phelps graves at Tibberton Church belonging to the family. Daniel and Sarah Phelps.of Hanmans Farm Tibberton. She died 1911. A Mary Elizabeth only daughter  d 1946.
Perhaps there are still relatives around.
The present owners of Barbers Farm(now called the dark barn)told me .there are Phelps who have visited from Canada and South Africa

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Phelps Family From Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you have a sub to Ancestry you can view a public tree with your family in it.

My tree is entwined with yours - Henry John Phelps (father Edwin & grandfather William )married my aunt Ellen Taylor.

Hope that this helps.

t c

Offline CatherineR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:20 BST (UK) »
I think we might be distant Phelps cousins. A lots of work has been done by many people on the Phelps family tree in Gloucestershire. A man named George Phelps started it in the 1980's and Narissa continued on with it. Now there are a couple of us trying to finish it off. If you'd like to contact me for Phelps info from before 1800, message me privately and I'll email what I have to you.

I hope this helps

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you TC for this information and to Catherine. Alas I do not have a Sub to Ancestry but I do have documents that I would share with the correct family.
Trying to work out catherine how to do the PM --this is exciting.

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Catheyt

If there is anything that you would like to know from the trees let me know I have a sub; or anything from the parish records let me know as I live in Gloucestershire.  I tend to 'pop' along to the archieve now and again.

To pm just click on the user name and at the bottom of the profile of the person it says send a pm or something like that.  Hope this helps.

Regards
tc ;D

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 October 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks tc ,sending you a pm.

Offline keith_lawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 16 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tempogold.
Thomas and Mary Phelps are my 5th great grandparents. I have recently spent a lot of time looking at Gloucestershire parish records on Ancestry and now have a fair amount of information about the family.  I believe that his parents were William Phelps (abt 1727 - 1786) and Hester (or Esther) Young (1732 - 1811). At the moment I am trying to verify (or otherwise!) that William senior's parents were William Phelps (1690 - 1751) and Mary Pennell (1689 - 1738) but have hit a brick wall. I've looked at other Ancestry trees but they give a birth dates/places that I think are questionable either because there is no evidence from the parish records or they probably relate to another William and Mary Phelps from Westbury.  I still have to look more closely at the latter. Is it possible that we can help one another?
Regards

Offline keith_lawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 16 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add that I have a copy of Thomas's will.  It can be downloaded from Gloucestershire archives, but I could also send you a copy.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the site Keith . Very Happy to share what I have on the family Have sent you a personal message .