Author Topic: Searching the family name Gonshaw  (Read 38649 times)

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching the family name Gonshaw
« on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This forum has been helpful already with links, but I'm stuck. I am researching the Gonshaw Family tree, my grandfather was Alfred Gonshaw born in 1914 but I am almost certain his family came to UK from Russia, Poland or Ukraine to escape the persecion of the Jews.
I would really like help anyone knows the origonal name of Gonshaw?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching the family name Gonshaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, do you know where Alfred was born? (I don't see a birth for him - I do see a marriage in 1944).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35632/pages/3129
 - this lists an Abraham Cohen residing at 20, All Saints Road, Nottingham, changing his name to Alfred Gonshaw in 1942.  At the same time a Louis Cohen changed his name to Louis Gonshaw.

As they're both listed as "natural born British subjects", I think that would indicate that they were born here; possibly Alfred/Abraham and Louis were brothers whose parents were the immigrants.

freebmd.rootsweb.com shows (a possible set of) births:
Abraham Cohen b. 1914, mother's maiden name Kleiman
also David Gonshaw b. 1918, mother's maiden name "Kleinern"
also Esther Gonshaw or Cohen-Gonshaw b. 1921, mother's maiden name Kleiman

I would guess that the family started to use the name "Gonshaw" early on, and that Abraham/Alfred and Louis made the change of name official in 1942. 

Do you have Alfred's marriage certificate? That would give you his father's name to start with.
I think the 1914 birth of "Abraham Cohen" is probably him as well but more info would help to confirm this.

also look at:
http://www.jewishgen.org/JCR-UK/
http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/jewish/perspectives/perspectives.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 March 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, the information you got is spot on as well, that Abraham Cohen, Alfred Gonshaw is my grandfather. I do not know that side of my family personally as my father died when I was a baby, so I wish I could tell you more but you have really helped me. I want you to know how much I appreciate you spending your time on that. All the names you mention confirm what I thought was right.
I am unsure how to trace the jewish ancestory, Cohen seems like a popular surname. You answered a question that was stopping me making any progress and again thank you. I hope you receive an act of kindness in return for this and if there is anything I can try and help you with I would. If you did want to look into it further, I would be stupid to stop you and if not your help was HUGE!!!!

Thank you Thank you

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
A bit more searching reveals the marriage of

Reuben Cohen and Becky Kleiman in Whitechapel Q3 1907 (vol. 1c p 510).

Maybe someone can look up the family in the 1911 census. Not easy with the surname Cohen!

A search on ancestry reveals that there are death records for Reuben and Becky Gonshaw.

The conclusion is that they are Abraham's parents.

I have also seen a reference to the 1945 engagement of Irene Gonshaw daughter of Mrs. Cohen.

Rgds,

Justin

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

There are Reuben (26) and Becca (24) Cohen with children Louis (2) and Zelda (6mths) at 25 or 26 Powis Terrace, Kensington in 1911.  Reuben born "Russia Poland", Becca born "Russia", Louis born E London, Zelda born W London.  Reuben was a bootmaker.  Married four years; two children born to marriage.

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic Gaie. Good find.

Reuben appears to have been resident in Hampstead in 1901.

Is he perhaps living with the 34-year-old Aaron Cohen, whose occupation was transcribed as 'boot maker shop'.

Justin

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census
RG13 125 135 42
132 Boundary Road, Hampstead, London

Aaron COHEN Head 34 Bootmaker Shop, Employer, worked at home, born Russia; Russian subject
Fanny Wife 32 born Russia; Russian subject
Reuben Son 16 Bootmaker; " "
Rachel Dau 13; " "
Louis Son 11; " "
Leah Dau 8; born London, St Johns Wood
Morris Son 5; " "
Abram Son 3; " "
Joseph Son 1; " "
Myer Laska Boarder, married, 32 Bootmaker; b Russia; Russian Subject

KR
Gaie

Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Aaraon Cohen and Fanny Cohen (Freda Gonshaw) appear to have seven children; Rachel, Louis (who married Gladys Barnicott), Leah, Morris (Maurice), Abram, Joseph (father of Lillian Gonshaw Katz) and my great grand father Rueben Cohen, or Robert Gonshaw. He married Becca, or Becky Kleiman, and had five children Louis, Zelda, Alfred, David and Esther.
None of that information could have pieced together without all your help, I am overwhelmed once again. My grandmother, Alfred’s wife really confuses me, I have only managed to trace marriage records.
He married a Joan A Negal, or Joan A Barrett, Barret also registered as Bobbie J Barrett. She had a son from a previous relationship, A.M Negal and renamed him Gonshaw in 1945 although my mum has no recollection of my dad talking about him, and he is still around???
I believe that Alfred and Joan separated possibly divorced and maybe moved to Spain. I cannot find her date of birth although the records I have may suggest she was born in 1926.
I cannot express how grateful I am to you all for your help in researching this very sensitive matter dear to my heart.

KR

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note before I hit the sack.

I believe that Reuben and Becky/Becca had a sixth child (at least). Irene Gonshaw married Henry Frener (you can check the date on FreeBMD).

Irene Frener comes up in the London Gazette in connection with the death of Morris Gonshaw in 1957. He was living at 28 Powis Terrace at the time!!

The London Gazette describes Joan as AM Negal's guardian, not his mother. Odd, I thought.

Are you confident that we have the right family? Without Abraham's / Alfred's birth or marriage cert giing his father's name, there is a degree of uncertainty.

More tomorrow...