Author Topic: Searching the family name Gonshaw  (Read 38639 times)

Offline Cazohagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching the family name Gonshaw
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 March 10 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have a photo!

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 March 10 07:48 GMT (UK) »
The next step is to determine their home town. This might be relatively straightforward.

In order to marry in a synagogue, the would-be bride and groom would have to obtain a Marriage Authorisation (MA) from the Chief Rabbi. The MA basically confirmed that the bride and groom had proven that they were Jewish.

From early 1880, the MAs recorded the birthplace of bride and groom, not to mention their full Hebrew names.

Morris's oldest brother, Reuben, was born in Russia, presumably in their home town. He married Rebecca Kleiman in 1907 (Q3 1907 Whitechapel vol. 1c p510).

Assuming they married in a synagoue, their MA can be obtained for the fee of £15 (cheque payable to the Chief Rabbinate Trust) from:

Rabbi Dr. Julian Shindler
Director of the Marriage Authorisation Office
Office of the Chief Rabbi
305 Ballards Lane
London N12 8GB

Tel. 020 8343 6313
Fax. 020 8343 6310
Email: Rabbi.Shindler [at] chiefrabbi.org

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 March 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
For those interested.

The Yiddish surname גונשור  = gonshor is thought to be a derivative of the surname גנס  = gans = 'goose' in German, which is a very old Jewish surname taken by the family that occupied the house with that emblem in 16th/17th century Frankfurt am Main.

Transliterated patronymic forms are GONSIOROVITZ, GONSIOROWICZ

The Jews of Eastern Europe originally came from German-speaking territories.

Explanatory Note: All the houses in Frankfurt's Jews' Alley (Judengasse) had signs depicting some sort of emblem, e.g. Red shield (Rothschild), rather than house numbers. The emblems gradually became surnames.

You can read more here http://www.judengasse.de/ehtml/findex.htm

Justin

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 March 10 14:36 GMT (UK) »
wow! This forum is much better than I could ever have expected (am trying to piece it all together!) Morris in WW1 sounds fascinating, I assumed they would have been effected. It incredible to see the history of the gonshaw name, thank you so much. Please, would love to hear about the Frener side too. I knew pretty much nothing one week ago there is so much to download. I'm sorry to hear about recent losses and once again grateful for the contact and support.

Offline Cazohagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Damn! If only I hadn't been born Frener and married O'Hagan - Gonsiorowicz is brilliant! Thanks Justin. This stuff is amazing! 

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 26 March 10 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking through some of my data, I see that 700,000 Jews were driven into the Pale in 1891 - 2,000 from St. Petersburg - many in chains.

So the Shneidmans/Schneidermans may have originally lived outside the Pale in the northern Russia. But I still cannot see how they ended up in the far south. (Kishinev was in Bessarbia).

This a very interesting family.

Justin

Offline Negal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
I'm one of Anthony Martin Negal's daughters, first son of Joan Barrett/Negal/Gonshaw. I guess you must be my cousin, you didn't mention who your father is but I know my dad had another half brother other than Robin.
I would love to hear from you.

Alex

Offline Negal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
Joan A Barrett got married to a John Negal in 1941, had A. M in 1943, got married to Alfred in 44, had a baby (who died shortly after) called Sandra and renamed A M as a Gonshaw in 45. However he seems to have continued using his fathers name Negal afterwards ??? I'm baffed and this is exactly when you want to be able to look at a census at that time, is there any way or where you can that you might know of?

Hi

I'll send you a PM on this aspect.  We need to be careful, in accordance with Rootschat policy, not to publish information about living, or possibly-living, people.

Hi

I wonder if you could pm me about your findings too if you don't mind, as Anthony Martin Negal is my (25 years estranged) father!

Thank you

Offline LifeinLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi I cannot appreciate all of this enough, I'm still putting the pieces together and working out the best plan of action. Its amazing to hear from what I suppose are cousins. I would love to meet up please pm me or essage me, I would love to hear more. Will keep you updated