Author Topic: McKAY Family, Clyne  (Read 5972 times)

Offline miegunyah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKAY Family, Clyne
« on: Tuesday 19 October 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Jane McKay married Donald Sutherland, they had children Mary, Alexander, Donald (1778-1872, who worked for the Hudson Bay Coy) and Elizabeth, all in Clyne.   I think her brother was Donald 'Mad' McKay who also worked for the Hudson Bay Coy.   Does anyone have any information about this McKay family, or any of the Sutherland children?

Offline Rudiri

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKAY Family, Clyne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 12 20:35 BST (UK) »

Hello, I am new to Rootschat so here goes first posting..

My Scottish ancestors on my paternal grandmother's side (descended from a Matheson of Midgarty/Gartymore and a Ross from Clyne who emigrated to Canada in 1873) include the parents -DONALD SUTHERLAND JANE MACKAY - of this much-discussed family of one of their children, "Donald Sutherland" of HBC/ children with Sally Wapisk.

To miegunyah,
I have only seen one mention online of the other children of this couple and that is from your postings. I am a descendant of their eldest daughter MARY SUTHERLAND b abt 1777 and died on 5 Jun 1873 in Clynemilton. She had (at least one - perhaps others?) a child Isabella Macdonald b abt 1805 and died 22 Nov 1889 in Clyne fathered by a William Macdonald of the 42nd Highlanders. I have found nothing further on him, but she remained in Clyne until her death.

Through a lot of trial and error, and "a best evidence available approach" I believe I have pieced together the families of the other 2 children (ALEXANDER and ELIZABETH) as well, though some questions remain.

I am not quite sure how this forum works, but figured I'd join and start the discussion by posting this message in a few topics, and seeing if anyone out there had any additional info on Donald Sutherland of HBC's siblings, or any more info about the parents.

Best regards,
REL