Author Topic: Dykes/Daux/Dawkes in Pembury/Pepenbury/Gravesend 1500s and 1600s  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Michelloui

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dykes/Daux/Dawkes in Pembury/Pepenbury/Gravesend 1500s and 1600s
« on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello!  :)

I am searching for the Dykes/Daux/Dawkes surname in Pembury/Peppenbury. I have also seen a listing for one family member born in Gravesend but I am unsure of it's accuracy.

Thomas Dykes b. 2 October 1552 in Pepenbury, Kent; d. 31 January 1614 in Pepenbury, Kent.

Several researchers believe his parents are Thomas Dykes (Sr) and Isabel Pennington (both from Cumbria, I believe).

Other researchers believe he married first a woman with the surname 'Grey', and second a woman with the surname Radcliffe (also Radcliffe, Ratcliffe, and possibly any of those without the 'e'). I think he may have married Radcliffe in about 1580.

Some researchers have listed Thomas(Jr) as a Baronet of Kent and Sussex, but I have not seen any evidence of this. His parents may have been part of the court of Henry VIII but I have not pursued this line of research yet either.

I believe he had (amongst others) a son called Henry b. about 1575 or 1588 (in Kent) d. 1637 (in Virginia). Henry may have lived in Gravesend, as his son Henry (Jr) is believed to have been born in Gravesend in about 1602.

I would like to know:
1. if there is any way of confirming Thomas' (Jr) parentage.
2. confirmation of who he married.

Thank you in advance for any help or information!

Offline for23cousins

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dykes/Daux/Dawkes in Pembury/Pepenbury/Gravesend 1500s and 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Were you able to figure out or confirm the information you were looking for on Thomas Dyke's?
I am trying to confirm the following:

Elizabeth Howard and Henry Radclyffe truly had a daughter named Mary Gray Radclyffe.
Mary Gray Radclyffe married Thomas Dykes and had a son William Dykes.

I feel like I've searched every possible lead...still don't have anything concrete.

Thanks in advance for any advice ;)

Jina Self
Austin, TX

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dykes/Daux/Dawkes in Pembury/Pepenbury/Gravesend 1500s and 1600s
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Finding reliable information in the early years of parish records can be difficult.

Wills can be helpful.  Have you tried

http://www.vulpeculox.net/history/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk