Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59377 times)

Offline walkeral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 00:45 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I found this while researching John McDonald, husband to my great aunt Elizabeth Reid (m1920).  He was a widower when he married, and his first wife was Maria McIntyre whom he married in 1904.  Hence the McIntyre connection.

I hve detail from the 1891 census on the McIntyres of Holy Isle, but would value help from others who have more information on what seems to have been a large family with grandchildren living on the island too.

Alasdair
Walker - Lanarkshire, Peebleshire; Reid - Ayrshire: Philp - Fife: Anderson - Fife, Carnock; Kerr - Sanquhar; McKenzie - Renfrewshire; Turnbull = Dumfireshire, West lothian

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alasdair

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I hope Yoric and Marc are still around to share info - Jackie too, of course!

I don't think I can help with specific info, but give a shout if you need any guidance about using the site.

Once again, I highly recommend contacting the Arran Museum in Brodick if you haven't donw so before (they'll be on winter hours by now I imagine, so be patient!)

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jackiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alasdair

If you'd like to PM me your E-mail address I can send you all the info I have on the McIntyre's.  Most of what I have was kindly shared by Yoric and Marc and I will gladly pass on what I have.

Jackie

Offline walkeral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Both,

Thank you for being so prompt in reply.  I have already used the Arran museum and found them helpful.  I am also trying to chase another relative - my great x2 grandmother who was Jane Galt and seems to have been christened at Kilmory Parish in Arran - so used the Arran museum.  Still not clear about where her parents Robert Galt and Mary McAllister came from (Mary probably from Arran) - but they did help all they could.

I have more information on Maria McIntyre's husband John McDonald whose son (my father's cousin) I think I have found in Australia. 

Jackie,

I have sent you my e-mail address and look forward to sharing any information.

Alasdair
Walker - Lanarkshire, Peebleshire; Reid - Ayrshire: Philp - Fife: Anderson - Fife, Carnock; Kerr - Sanquhar; McKenzie - Renfrewshire; Turnbull = Dumfireshire, West lothian

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 September 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Alasdair, and hello to everyone else.

Still around , just not as often as I would like.
I am always willing to help where I can. Just let me know what you need and I'll e-mail it to you. Between us we should help fill in some blanks you may have (and maybe some of our blanks).
Hope everyone is keeping well.

best wishes,
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline Wortle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I realise this is an old thread but the information is probably still relevant for people looking for Arran McIntyres so am posting here.

I have read this thread several times and names here are a different one to the ones I am looking for. I am sure they will be related somehow though. In the hope that somone can point me in the right direction here is the point I have got back to:

I have a John McIntyre (b1809-?parents Donald McIntyre and Catherine Cook) married to Margaret Hamilton in 1862 (b1834 daughter of Archibald Hamilton {his mother poss Elizabeth?}and Janet McAlister)

Their descendants are farming Hazelburn (currently the land is on the market) Sliddery Lamlash Arran so I feel Donald McIntyre should be traceable in parish records or similar. I have drawn a blank at the local LDS so far.

Can anyone tie in?

Coleman, Colebrooke,(London) Gilson, Rattue, Matticks before 1780(Wessex)

Offline Granny 007

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 February 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I googled McIntyre, Hazelburn, Arran as I am tracing my family line.  My grandmother Janet McIntyre was born at Hazelburn, Sliddery in January 1901.  I visited the farm many times as a child.  I was named Janet McIntyre after my granny who moved to Ayrshire when she was 18.  My parents married in Ayrshire and moved to Perthshire.  Is there any other McIntyres out there who can tie in with Hazelburn McIntyres.

Offline McIntyreDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 June 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I'm trying very quickly to get a start on the info on the McIntyres of Holy Isle.

My great Gran was one of the 'girls' from the Island - born Feb 15th 1878 as M S McIntyre. I think that's Margaret S. She married Archibald Gray master builder Saltcoats.

My Gran Catherine Jane Gray, married John Paterson in 1917

As we are calling into the Heritage centre in about 9 days time, volcano and BA strikes permitting,  I hope you are still out there  to share your knowledge.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 June 10 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello-can you provide more info? I've looked at what I do have, and the closest may be Maria or Anna but no Margaret unless there were other MacIntyres on Arran, which is possible.
You will find Grace at the museum is a great help as she has quite a bit including the family bible. My forebearer was a farmer on the holy isle, John McIntyre.
Marc