Author Topic: Hawick, Edgerston, Ancrum, Gray, Riddle, Irvine, Smith, Scott, Turnbull  (Read 12452 times)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawick, Edgerston, Ancrum, Gray, Riddle, Irvine, Smith, Scott, Turnbull
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
I am Canadian.  I am trying to trace my mother's ancestors back a little further. 
Gilbert Gray was born in Hawick in 1769.  He married Margaret Riddle born 1769  on Oct 12 1802 in Edgerston.  Before emigrating, they had 8 children born in Roxburghshire ......... I think.  James Gray1803 Hawick  who married Isabel McFarland in 1832,  3 days before sailing for Canada.  Other children: Elizabeth Gray1804,  Agnes Gray 1806, Caroline Gray 1807, Jannet 1809, Margaret 1813, Gilbert Gray 1815.   I have Agnes born in Ancrum and then back to Hawick with Gilbert.  Either they moved around or I have misinformation.

In Canada, Isabel McFarland died with no children.  James Gray then married Alison Irvine who was born 1823 in Scotland .......... I believe Hawick. 

I have the Irvine's of Hawick back to Thomas 1675-1738, his 2 wives Jean unknown with 7 children and another unknown with 8 children.

I am hoping someone who is researching these families will read this.

Thanks,

Jan

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick, Edgerston, Ancrum, Gray, Riddle, Irvine, Smith, Scott, Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 October 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan

I have no connection at all with your family, but have some idea of the geography involved as I live in Roxburghshire.

The IGI has a baptism for James in 1803 in Hawick. Neither the IGI nor Scotlandspeople appears to have a baptism for Elizabeth and Agnes, other than a patron submission for Agnes' death in Ontario in 1890.
Caroline's baptism was in Cummertrees, which is in Dumfriesshire. I can't see a baptism for Janet, but both Margaret and Gilbert's baptisms are at the presbyterian church in Glanton, which is in Northumberland in England.

My guess is that Gilbert GRAY was a farmworker, as farmworkers attended an annual hiring fair and if offered better wages or a better house would readily move. Shepherds in particular seem to move quite long distances, perhaps because they attended livestock sales and met up with other shepherds from further afield who could give recommendations (or otherwise!) for certain farmers.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lesley for your efforts on my behalf.    Your information about shepherds was good to have.  It certainly would explain moving about.   Gilbert and Margaret had 8 children that I know of.  I will get busy on IGI and look at what you found.  Sometimes one tiny little tidbit is enough for me to gather lots of info.

THANK YOU!

Jan

Offline goldenwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan

Noticed in your posting a Smith interest in your family history.
Mine too, mainly in Hobkirk area but maybe some connection.
Would be interested to hear about yours

Regards Grant

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

You are interested in Turnbull?

Mine are many generations in the N of Elgland (Sunderland etc) but came from Scotland (where they abound to this day despite many  emigrating)

Please let me know about your Turnbull
Esdel
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline allysim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan James Gray was my great great great grandfather :) Hope you are still registered!!

He was born in Ireland according to Scotlands People website... Isabella was born in Joppa and there was a 20 year age difference.

Hope to talk more,

Alastair

Offline allysim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Now reading your post properly things don't ring true... my info was taken from the 1861 census James was 60 then and it states he was born in Ireland but his children to Isabella McFadgen (could be mcfadden as can't read Roberts marriage register very well) were born in Hawick... Thomas Gray circa 1849 and Robert circa 1853/4.

What do you think... are we on the right family here :)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Now reading your post properly things don't ring true... my info was taken from the 1861 census James was 60 then and it states he was born in Ireland but his children to Isabella McFadgen (could be mcfadden as can't read Roberts marriage register very well) were born in Hawick... Thomas Gray circa 1849 and Robert circa 1853/4.

What do you think... are we on the right family here :)

Hello Alastair. I checked the IGI, and your James Gray and Isabella McFadyen were married in 1835 in the Barony parish of central Glasgow.

I was interested in your post, as I know that there was quite a lot of Irish immigration into Hawick in the mid-1800s, including my own Pettigrew ancestors, who came from the Belfast area. And I happen to know that there are 2 separate Gray branches in my Pettigrew tree. Gray was a common name in Counties Antrim and Down, and when I looked for the birth of a James Gray born around 1801 on the IGI, there were 19 hits, the vast majority from Northern Ireland.

Harry

Offline allysim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Harry, you obviously know what you are doing... I am very new to this but yes I remember my gran saying that our ancestors on the Gray side were Ullans (UlsterScots) You have solved the McFadgen, McFadden riddle for me so its McFadyen! What is the IGI by the way? I'm spending a fortune on Scotlands People :)

I have a friend Jim Pettigrew in Kilmarnock!