Author Topic: Canadian Air Accident records  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Velveteen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian Air Accident records
« on: Saturday 23 October 10 03:17 BST (UK) »
According to my father and his two surviving brothers, they had an "Uncle Crosby from British Guiana (where my family was from although my grandfather had gone to the UK by then) who was in the Royal Flying Corp and who went to Canada and died in an air crash" either before they were born or while they were children. This is complete hearsay and in my 10 years of research I have NEVER come cross any hint of a brother to my grandfather called Crosby, only two sisters, and another sister who was stillborn.

HOWEVER. My grandfather's aunt had an illegitimate son called Frederick Kearton Crosbie Choppin(born 1886), who would have been 8 years older than my Grandfather. This seems to have been quite open, and he and his mother lived and travelled with her parents, my Grandfather's Grandparents.

This boy, Frederick Kearton Crosbie Choppin, was in the UK airforce first world war, and was seconded to the Canadian Royal Flying Corp. He and his wife Jessie emigrated to Ontario, Canada. EVERYTHING about what I have uncovered for Frederick Kearton Crosbie Choppin matches the family stories about "Uncle Crosby", except that I have no death date, place or reason for him. I'm beginning to think that "Uncle" Crosby was actually COUSIN Crosby and that he and my grandfather had just been brought up as if they were brothers.

If I could find death details, or a record of a fatal air crash involving Frederick Kearton Crosbie Choppin in Canada it would confirm my suspicions, but I'm not sure where to look? I haven't found any death record at all for either him or his wife. I know they were both alive in 1930, but that's where the trail ends. There is a Frederick Choppin and his wife Jessie buried in Holy Trinity Church, Pembroke, ON. But this is a cousin, who happened to have the same name, AND married a wife with the same name as the guy I'm looking for. ::)

Where would I find resources for Canadian air crashes from around 1930-1960? Probably ones connected to the Royal Flying Corp.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Air Accident records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 October 10 06:39 BST (UK) »
Well...there's AirDisaster.com, but they don't start until 1950 and mainly civilian:
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/database.cgi

The Canadian Transport Safety Board's database only goes back to 1990.

Then there's the National Transport Safety Board. It's American, but it is authorised to take part in a foreign accident investigation if the aircraft involved is 1) flying to or from America, 2) built in America, or 3) registered in America. Not much data from the dates you want:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/A_Acc2.htm

They have a searchable database here, but their data seems to only go back to 1962:
http://www.airsafe.com/analyze/ntsbdb.htm

I've had an interest in aviation safety for a number of years, and have quite a few websites bookmarked, but I couldn't find anything that might help. Particularly with military aviation...they tend to hold their cards pretty close to the chest. I'm pretty sure they don't put data online :P

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers,
China

Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
If one of them flew in WW1, there should be a record.
Try  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

Offline paulhalliday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
The Royal Flying Corps
REF: AIR 76/86/48

Full name   Crosbie-Choppin, F.K.
ID   OC0225308
Object   CC2_05224

Collection   Archives
Classification   Casualty Record Series
Series   Casualty Card Type - Incident

Initials   F.K.
Surname   Crosbie-Choppin

Rank   2Lt
Organisation   Royal Flying Corps
Unit   39 Training Squadron

Prisoner of war   No
Casualty date   September 14th 1917
Accident   Flying accident
Result of accident   Injured

Offline paulhalliday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Informant was J R Crosbie-Choppin of 28 Charville Rd, West Kensington.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

What was Jessie's maiden name

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
Here's a Frederick & Jessie Choppin in the 1921 census of St John New Brunswick Canada.  His birthplace is given as England, his father's as Denmark! and mother's as West Indies.  His occupation given as soldier in militia.  He is shown as coming to Canada in 1904.  Jessie and children all born in Ontario.  This family was still in St John in 1927 as they had a son James M born 16 Jun 1923 who died on 12 Oct 1927 in St John NB.  Mother's name on death cert Jessie Thomson.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Paul

That very useful record actually says at the very end that he was injured,does that mean killed,or just injured?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
The Frederick and Jessie who were in NB in 1921 onwards must be this pair:
There is a Frederick Choppin and his wife Jessie buried in Holy Trinity Church, Pembroke, ON. But this is a cousin, who happened to have the same name, AND married a wife with the same name as the guy I'm looking for. ::)

(The Jessie there is nee Thomson and daughter Gertrude is buried with them).

The Frederick and Jessie we are looking for is the Frederick married to Jessie Ruth Barker (or Stuart Barker) in the UK in 1908 and emigrated to Canada in 1920:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2HGX-X91

This may be a sighting of him:
images.ourontario.ca/Partners/Barrie/BaPL002755660pf_0054.pdf
 (newspaper)
 - F.K. Crosbie Choppin of Toronto was a speaker at the Allandale YMCA, from the "Canadian Life Brotherhood".

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/020105_e.html
 - this archived index has some references to air accidents in Canada.  No direct hits but it seems many of them are indexed with just the date and "pilot + n passengers killed", or name of pilot but not of the passengers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk