Author Topic: Mill Lane In Guernsey c 1861  (Read 7187 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mill Lane In Guernsey c 1861
« on: Saturday 23 October 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello
My family lived in Mill Lane, St Peter Port in the 1861 census, it was close to Market Street. It no longer exists, the only Mill Lane I can find today is a long way from St Peter Port - does anyone have an old map or directory that might have the exact location of the 'old Mill Lane'?

Thank you
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline Allan_Jean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Lane In Guernsey c 1861
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
Could this be Mill Street?
What is the name of your family?

Allan

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 03:06 BST (UK) »
Mill Lane, not Street.  In another census (1871) the family was in Le Marchand Street. I found that by wandering around when I was in Guernsey  but saw lots of little lanes off Mill Street. Perhaps it was demolished or built over, which is why i thought that an old map might be useful.

The family was Patrick and Mary Walsh with a number of children. They were in Alderney in 1851, then Guernsey before 1861 and most had either died or left by the mid 1870s. They were not at all well off.
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline Allan_Jean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I checked some of the maps when at the Priaulx Library - could not find Mill Lane on either the 1843 or 1873 map.

However on checking the census both I and the librarian have come to the conclusion that this was a road off Park Street that led to the area where the mills were.

Hope this is of some use sorry can't be more positive.

Regards

Allan

Offline DCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I found this post while looking for more information on my GG grandmother, she lived at number 3 Mill Lane in the 1851 census, they were basket makers. I am frustrated that there is not much more than census information for the Channel Islands. but I did find an obituary for my G grandfather, it was in the Guernsey Magazine. They had moved to 14 Valnord Road by 1861 . Not of much help in your search for the old Mill Lane, but could not believe the Mill Lane connection. Good luck !

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your entry DCT, our families might have been neighbours in Mill Lane, as mine (labourers) lived in 1 Mill Lane!

Allan by looking at the way the person collecting the census seems to have worked  Mill Lane must have been very close to Market Sqaure, as the entries are on the same page (21) of the 1861 census, I don't think Park Road is in the right location.  We'll locate it eventually ....

Cheers,

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 December 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Mill Street comes in at the end of the market. so it is likely to be one of the tiny lanes off mills st.

Offline super sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
RE: 3 Mill Lane, St Peter Port, Guernsey   1851 census

My 3x great grandfather and his daughter's father in law, both from Taunton, Somerset, were lodging at the above address in 1851. I cannot make out the family's name but they were basket makers.
I am at a loss to know why two widowers in their seventies, one a tailor and one a cabinet maker would be so far from home in March 1851. They can't have been well off. Was anything of any significance happening in St. Peter Port at the time? I find it difficult to believe they were in search of work. Surely they would have gone to somewhere on the mainland if that were the case. I somehow don't think they were on holiday either!
Any ideas, please?
By the way, the address above the ones in Mill Lane, on the 1851 census, was in Church Square. Is that of any use in locating where Mill Lane may have been?

JR

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Church square and Market square are only steps away from each other..,there were buildings at the side of Town church which were knocked down  in the early 1900's ..so it may have been a lane in that area ...it is now the beginning of Fountain st.