Author Topic: Mill Lane In Guernsey c 1861  (Read 7203 times)

Offline super sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Lane In Guernsey c 1861
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.

I should like to hear from DCT whose GG grandmother lived at 3 Mill Lane in 1851. She would have been the person who gave lodgings to my GGGgrandfather and his relative.

JR

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 February 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Mill Lane, I agree with gsygirl that it will have been redeveloped at some point- I believe it was near to the eastern end of the market, somewhere between where currently there's a HMV store situated, and a cul de sac where taxis park- this was the last part of the market complex to be developed, I believe in the 1870s, and it is likely that Mill Lane and its buildings were demolished before the 1873 map was compiled, as part of the general redevelopment of the area. There is no mention of Mill Lane by the time of the 1871 census.
 In the 1861 census the enumerator walks from Church Square through Mill Lane to the Arcade Steps, which agrees well with his 1851 predecessor walking from Church Square through Mill Lane to Market Street.

Hope this helps a little

Andy Smith, Guernsey

Offline DCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
To  SUPER SLEUTH. I have only just returned to this page to see your post requesting to hear from me. The family at number 3 Mill Lane in 1851 were John Irish , my 2nd G grandfather, and his family. James Scadding, Mary Ann's father, is my 3rd G grandfather. I have no idea who the other widower was. I wondered the same thing, when I saw that James Scadding had gone over to Guernsey. But then widows and widowers often went to live with children. But that does not account for the other widower, Daniel London. Are we related ?