Author Topic: COPELAND Portobello  (Read 9809 times)

Offline hineahua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie McCall Copeland (nee SHUTTLETON)
    • View Profile
COPELAND Portobello
« on: Saturday 23 October 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi to Everyone
I am researching my Mother's side of the family.
John & Annie Copeland lived in Portobello, John was a Baker and
Confectioner and had a shop in 254 High Street. John died in 1913 and his son John took over the business, he died 1956.
His sister Annie Stewart and her husband John then had the shop. After her husband died Annie took over the shop until she died 1981. I am looking for any connections to the family or anyone that can give me some information about the family.
Thank you
Regards
Hineahua (New Zealand)
Error with email address, please contact support

COPELAND, SHUTTLETON, McCALL, SCULLION, McCARTNEY YORSTON, NEWTON, LAIDLAW, CAMPBELL, CORBETT, WALKER.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COPELAND Portobello
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Try around Aberdeen, Rayne, Turriff, or Tough.  My Family is connected to the Hall family. One of the girls married Moses Copland as it was spelt SP.
If you get stuck you could try Alford Family History Society. There should be a link to this, if you find the links at the beginning of Aberdeen.
In your family, just to make sure, You have an Alexander Honeyman married to a daughter of the Hall family.
If you pm me I can invite you to view my family tree on Ancestry or Genes and I can then show you the connection I have and maybe that would help you with the rest of your family members. Also on Ancestry is a relative of yours also researching Copeland and Hall.
Marcie ::)
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hinehua,

Moses Copland 1858 m Mary Hall 1856-1932 Moved to Australia then NZealand
children: John Copland 1880-1931
Moses Copland 1881
James Copland 1883 - 1967
George Copland 1885 - 1946
Mary Copland 1887 - 1957

Mary Halls Parents were John Hall 1822 - 1899 m Margaret forbes my 4x grgran
Margaret Forbes mother Mary Craig(maiden name) married Adam Forbes then George Hall Mary is my 5x grgran Her father was Alexander Craig Mother Margaret? Boothe
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 10 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

Not sure if hineahua has an Aberdeen connection with her line of Copelands. From a previous post on this line by hineahua 

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,485331.0.html

Roots for the family look to be Ireland and Ayrshire it would seem.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 10 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Just thought that with her mentioning Portobello that she would be searching near Leith, Edinburgh.  Aberdeen is just crows flight from there
and Moses and mary did move from Aberdeen area for New Zealand eventually
if you remember you found the information for me when I was searching for my 3x grgran Marjory Charles for whom I now have via  a relative a copy of her birth certificate.  Her name was actually Marjory McDonald Charles.  Have not found where McDonald comes into it yet.  Will have to have a sleuth.

Is there a Portobello in Ireland or one in Ayrshire?
If the info I have posted is of no use to her, nothings lost.  perhaps others will be able to help. And I include you in that, sleuth extraordinaire.
Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 10 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Just thought that with her mentioning Portobello that she would be searching near Leith, Edinburgh.  Aberdeen is just crows flight from there and Moses and mary did move from Aberdeen area for New Zealand eventually if you remember you found the information for me when I was searching for my 3x grgran Marjory Charles for whom I now have via  a relative Glen in Canada a copy of her birth certificate.  Her name was actually Marjory McDonald Charles.  Have not found where McDonald comes into it yet.  Will have to have a sleuth.

Is there a Portobello in Ireland or one in Ayrshire?
If the info I have posted is of no use to her, nothings lost.  perhaps others will be able to help. And I include you in that, sleuth extraordinaire.
Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 December 10 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Dont know what happened there,
a touch of double vision ::) :-\
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline hineahua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie McCall Copeland (nee SHUTTLETON)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 December 10 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Copeland family I am researching came from Down, Ireland to Ayr and John Copeland moved to Portobello and started his Bakery business.  It was my grandmother Margaret Sullivan Copeland that emigrated to New Zealand in 1923.
I am trying to find out more about about her brothers
William Shuttleton Copeland married to Christina Deholm Currie
James Copeland married Helen Lyon Baptie
George McCall Shuttleton Copeland married Catherine Mary McInnes
I have their Birth deaths and marriages.
Any help with their children and connection would be appreciated.
Regards Hineahua
 ;D
Error with email address, please contact support

COPELAND, SHUTTLETON, McCALL, SCULLION, McCARTNEY YORSTON, NEWTON, LAIDLAW, CAMPBELL, CORBETT, WALKER.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 December 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     This is not directly onnected to your topic but I am interested in your Christina Denholm Currie do you know who are parents are.

Thanks

Jesie