Author Topic: COPELAND Portobello  (Read 9815 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COPELAND Portobello
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 April 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
I have been busy on other things for a couple of years but nearly ready to return to Genealogical research. My interest in this family is the Shuttleton line which makes anyone later than Annie a relative, albeit distant. I have a considerable amount of research on that line which I am happy to share.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 July 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
we probably are related my maiden name was laidlaw but I dont think connected ro pauls line unless they are cousins my 3rd cousin is glen kalyk he lives in vancouver or ontario his great grandfather was hope I can remember this right, robert moss-brown, if you can message me and send your email address i will forward it on to him and also invite you to peruse my family tree, althhough I have 7 of them so a lot of research,but only one of them has any connections to copeland hall etc my great gran on my grandads side was marjory brown for short, actual name was marjory charles ferguson mcdonald baron brown laidlaw husband was john laidlaw.
ferguson mcdonald baron brown they had 5 daughters and 3 sons. her mother, was agnes hutcheon,he married marjory charles;his mother was elizabeth mcdonald, marjory charles' mother was margaret forbes, her mother was mary craig both mary craig and her dughter margaret forbes married(1.) john hall+mary craigmarrried a geotge hall or the otherway around,)margaret forbes was due to marry adam charles a weaver, but on their wedding day he suffered a fatal accident, she was pregnant at this time may have married a george hall, no relation to john, but then she married james hutcheon his fathers' name wasI think. john; hope this helps point you in the right direction. cant give you dates or extra info as  cannot remember it all.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 July 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
my famly is full of ""marjory, margaret and mary, mary and john had a margaret I think, cant remember what marjory had, may have been a margaret after her own mother margaret forbes I do remember that the barons were servants' in a household but have no further info than that.
the hall family , their father walked out on them said he was going to aus to do some prospecting, when he did not come back, she went ;out there to find him, could not 'so rather than go home, she went to caroliner didnt find himthere possibly following a leed, so remarried to someone called sylvestrissylvestre or something. but  hink she met him in aus, so she must have gone back there, she already had 8 children, she and sylvestre has another 5?most of the graves can be found there :I believe, but don't quote me.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 August 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie:
I was "home" on vacation a month ago and drove from my boyhood house down Portobello High Street, through Joppa and Musselburgh and on to North Berwick.  Portobello High Street is a bit run down all right (and a bit garish in places) but it still brought back many fond memories.
Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 August 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
John Copeland & Isabella Walker came from Down Ireland to Ayr about
1853-56 to Ayrshire. John their son married Annie McCall Shuttleton
1882 St Quivox in Ayr and moved to Portobello sometime after that.

I helped a friend many years ago with a family tree & I'm pretty sure (after a bit more digging) there was a connection with this family (not direct line)?

Basics I have are:

Agnes (Nancy) Cop(e)land b c1906 was the daughter of;

COPLAND HARRY (Henry Wilson) & JACKSON SUSAN 1895
564/1 172 Greenock East

Susan died 1912 aged 35 yrs (COPLAND SUSAN 35 1912 644/9 617 Milton)

Harry/Henry remarried after Susan's death to the g/mother of my friend.

Henry Wilson Copland (Widower) married Mary Melrose Taylor (Widow) 29 Dec 1916 Camlachie, Glasgow
Parents John Copland & Isabella Walker.

COPLAND HENRY WILSON b 25 Feb 1872 578/ 148 Ayr

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"