Author Topic: COPELAND Portobello  (Read 9816 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COPELAND Portobello
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 December 10 14:26 GMT (UK) »
HiThe Copeland family I am researching came from Down, Ireland to Ayr and John Copeland moved to Portobello and started his Bakery business.  It was my grandmother Margaret Sullivan Copeland that emigrated to New Zealand in 1923.I am trying to find out more about about her brothers
William Shuttleton Copeland married to Christina Deholm CurriJames Copeland married Helen Lyon BaptiGeorge McCall Shuttleton Copeland marriedCatherine Mary McInnesI have their Birth deaths and marriages.Any help with theirchildren and connection would be appreciated.Regards Hineahua
 ;D
We are talking of Portobello in Leith, nr Edinburgh, Midlothian?  Do you know the year that they moved from Ireland to Ayr and then to Portobello? Marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline hineahua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie McCall Copeland (nee SHUTTLETON)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 December 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie
Christina Denholm Currie, parents were George Currie and Janet Denholm.
Regards Hineahua
Error with email address, please contact support

COPELAND, SHUTTLETON, McCALL, SCULLION, McCARTNEY YORSTON, NEWTON, LAIDLAW, CAMPBELL, CORBETT, WALKER.

Offline hineahua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Annie McCall Copeland (nee SHUTTLETON)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 December 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie
Yes from Edinburgh, Leith and I think Fife.
John Copeland & Isabella Walker came from Down Ireland to Ayr about
1853-56 to Ayrshire. John their son married Annie McCall Shuttleton
1882 St Quivox in Ayr and moved to Portobello sometime after that.
All their children were born in Edinburgh and Portobello.
Regards Hineahua :)
Error with email address, please contact support

COPELAND, SHUTTLETON, McCALL, SCULLION, McCARTNEY YORSTON, NEWTON, LAIDLAW, CAMPBELL, CORBETT, WALKER.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 December 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
Then there could well be a connection to the Copland/Copeland family from Rayne etc.  Elaine Nixon (a member of ancestry), is in nz and is looking for people of that name. If either I invite you or you  join temporarily the pair of you can get together to see if there is a connection.  Except for Moses, the other names you mention seem to run through that family from around that period and perhaps are siblings or cousins to those I have connexions to. The same as in  your direct family.  I found a site where they have some old photos of Portobello, just by googling Portobello Edinburgh and I made a note of some bakeries.  High Street Portobello is a Greggs bakers I think 164. Wondered if you had the exact address, it may be nice to have a copy if its a match.
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 December 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I found a John Copeland on 1871 census for portobello
I think it says 9 Bidulph
George Amos hd aged 36 born haddington
Charlotte Amos wife 32 b. haddington
Cassie? Amos aged 3 daughter Edinburgh
John Copeland Uncle 85 Retired GateKeeper Jedburgh Roxburgh

I dont think this is what you are looking for.  Could not find anyone by that name in 1861 but in 1851 Gros 685/02 180/00 002
John Copeland aged 65 Hd St.Cuthberts Gatekeeper
Catherine 48 wife born greenock
Elizabeth Anderson aged 17 Niece born Huntly Aberdour
No other Copeland of that spelling turned up .
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 December 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Right Jane,
the 1891 census  Gros 684/01 004/ 00 025 Duddingston & Portobello
146 High Street Portobello
Thomas Copeland Hd age is illegible  occ: Confectioner born Newton Ayr
Annie Copeland wife age 29 also born Newton Ayr
John Copeland son aged 7 Scholar born in Edinburgh
William Copeland son 5 Scholar born Edinburgh
James Copeland son aged 3 born in Portobello
there is also a mention of a jamie? Morrison son un cannot read age. Domestic servant
Have not checkedEdinburgh to find the exact date of their arrival in the area. They seem to have fallen between census.  but checking the birth of the two children born in Edinburgh would give you a more accurate date. Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 December 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
254 High Street, Portobello, seems to be a restaurant these days.

http://www.list.co.uk/place/102912-reds/

Portobello has never been part of Leith, incidentally.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 December 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Jane, tried looking for John and Williams births in Edinburgh, came up empty handed, no matches.  Maybe someone else may be able to find them for you.  Have not tried James aged 3, that would mean he would have beenborn abt.1887/8
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 December 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Ok some success. Birth Gros 684/ 01 0005
James Copeland born at no 2 Wellington Street, Portobello on the
17th December, 1887 at 11hrs pm to
John Copeland occ: confectioner &
Annie McCall Copeland/ ms Shattleton
who were married 6th December 1882 in Ayr.

so they lived here and ran their business from 146 High Street Portobello
if you allow me to have you email I can send you a copy of the birth certificate which I downloaded or you can use the above Gros no and order one.  not sure why I cannot find the other two boys birth certs though.
 searl rogers sutherland