Author Topic: Staffords of Cavan  (Read 8206 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Staffords of Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 January 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Not all libraries that subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition have access to the Family Tree section (mine doesn't) but you can view almost all the Ancestry trees via the sister site Mundia (free)-
http://www.mundia.com/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 January 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
       Civil marriage of Alexander Stafford and Lydia Byars, 1846, in Carrickmore, gives Alex as full age and Lydia as 15 years, a wide age gap, would this be uncommon for the period. The father of Alexander is stated as Ben(jamin?) but no mothers name stated on document, can anyone help about mother's name and any other siblings for Alex.

Thank you Debbie for supplying the names of children born to Alexander & Lydia after 1846 to go with my only known child Thomas 1858, Carrickmore. (For others they are.)

William, Ireland ? - 1913 Queensland, Australia.
                                   Margaret, Unknown - Unknown.
                                 Alexander, 1849, Carrickmore,
                                   Samuel, 1851, Carrickmore,
                                  Robert, 1853, Carrickmore, - 1874 Queensland, Australia.
                                    John, 1854, Carrickmore,
                                  Jane, 1856, Carrickmore,
                                     David, 1859, Carrickmore,

Managed to find church baptism/births for all except William who has Queensland death index 1913 stating correct parents and Margaret for whom nothing shows in searches. While searching for births of children found Alexander the father was also recorded as Sandy on some of the birth records.

Some progress at last thanks to Debbie in New Zealand. Other supplied information will be added to my Ancestry public tree once checked out. :-*

Duncan.

McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
P.S. Noticed on the marriage document 1846 in Oldcastle, Vol. 9 page 405, Cavan between Alex Stafford & Lydia Byars that he is noted as a widower, can anyone tell me who his first wife was and if they had children. Would also like to know more about Ben Stafford his father and anything about his life and family connections. This brickwall has stumped me for years as there are so many Staffords with the same forenames and nothing concrete I can find to link them to each other in Carrickmore.
                                                                                                             In hope!
                                                                                                                   Duncan.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline Knickknackery Keeper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 August 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Duncan,

You may well have progressed beyond the search for the name of Alexander Stafford's first wife (the one preceding Lydia Byars).

I am a great great granddaughter of Alexander Stafford and Lydia Byers.  My great grandfather emigrated to Australia and settled in Queensland.  He was also Alexander, Married to Annie Elizabeth Mulligan (or Milligan). 

I was looking at some records of Bellasis Presbyterian Church, where lots of Staffords, Byers/Byas and Mulligans/Milligans were baptized, married, buried.  (byersfamilies.com)

Among the records shown was the marriage record of Alex Stafford Jun, Widower and farmer of Carrickmore to 15 year old Lydia Byars.  Among the same records were the marriage of Henry Stafford, aged 17 in 1858 - which would have made him born circa 1841.  Further on I noted a child James born May 1843 to Alex Stafford, Farmer of Carrickmore and Jane.  It seemed possible to me that Henry and James were brothers and that Jane was Alex Stafford jun.'s first wife.  Unfortunately no surname shown for Jane ... but a possible lead??

I am really only just beginning my search - but you might have material of interest to me.  Happy to share info about the Staffords in Australia if useful.  My maternal grandmother kept house for her unmarried uncle, William, in his later years and he left her some small shops he had in the Sandgate area.  This was how she met my grandfather - who lived close to the shops ... 

If you have had correspondence with someone in NZ I wondered it if might be a descendant of my great aunty Cissy (Marion) King of Palmerston North.  I am in touch with some but not all of her descendants.

Robyn Williams Hopper