Author Topic: BLOODWORTH family, Orton Longville  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLOODWORTH family, Orton Longville
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I anyone researching this family?  I am looking for a marriage of Francis Bloodworth to Mary? about 1730.  Daughters Arabella b. 1833 and Ann b. 1834.

Cheers,

Tisy

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLOODWORTH FAMILY, ORTON LONGVILLE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
No such marriage on Hunts Marriage Index. I would try a lookup on Northants requests board as Orton Longville was only just inside the county boundary with Northants.

Do you have baptisms for the two daughters, neither of whom appear to have married in Hunts?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice re the marriage;  do you have a link to the Hunts Index?

I have the following for the daughters -

Arabella Bloodworth buried Long Orton 18 Aug 1734, daughter of Francis & Mary Bloodworth
Anne Bloodworth bapt 19 Nov 1735Long Orton, parents Francis & Mary Bloodworth

As I am trying to trace my female line, it would be great if I could find the maiden name of Mary Bloodworth. 

Cheers,

Carol

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 10 09:56 BST (UK) »
I see they also baptised Mary in 1737 and Jon in 1740. As there's no indication on Arabella's burial as to whether she was an infant, child or whatever she could have been older. If Jon were their last child then their first could have been as early as 1715, pushing their marriage back by 15 years. Not that it makes any difference as there's no marriage 1701-54 in Hunts.

do you have a link to the Hunts Index?
Yes, my left arm, as it's a fiche set kept in the top left hand drawer of my desk. It's not on the internet, although it's available for purchase from Hunts FHS at http://www.huntsfhs.org.uk/cgi-bin/hfhsbookstall.cgi - now also on CDrom.

It's odd as the last Bloodworth burial in Orton Longville was in 1751 with Francis, after that, nothing. What happened to Mary? I can't see a burial or a marriage in Hunts. After Francis all burials bar one in Hunts were at Kimbolton, but there were no burials in Kimbolton prior to 1766.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 October 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Yes, I found Mary and Jon's baptisms this afternoon as well.  Ann married Rev. Samuel Furley and they moved around quite a bit, him being a preacher man!  Samuel had connections to Wesleyans, although he was an Anglican minister, and was close to Selina, Countess of Huntingdon;  it seems probable that he met Ann through this connection.  I found this -

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a6g/

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SELINA, COUNTESS OF HUNTINGDON BY AARON CROSSLEY HOBART SEYMOUR
"It was now that Rev. Samuel Furley removed to Bath on account of his health.  This good man was early connected with the Methodists.  While at Cambridge he had formed an acquaintance with Mr. Venn, the Fellow of Queens College, and his senior by eight years. To him he recommended Law's  "Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life", and Mr. Venn read it with peculiar  interest and advantage, and immediately began to frame his life according to the Christian model there delineated.   After his ordination, Mr. Furley did duty a few months in London, occasionally assisting Mr. Romaine, and soon after removed to Lakenheat, in Suffolk.   He continued there but a short time, and from that place went into Yorkshire, and resided at Kippax for twelve months. Whilst there Lady Huntingdon became acquainted with Mr. Furley, through the medium of ner niece, Mrs. Medhurst.  He afterwards removed to Slaythwaite, where he remained five years, and preached to a large congregation, to many of whom his ministry was much blessed.   There he received a visit from Lady Huntingdon when she was with Lady Margaret Ingham at Aberford.  In the year 1766, being in London, he was introduced b y the Countess to the excellent Mr. Thornton, of Clapham, who presented him to the living of Roche, in Cornwall.

I wonder whether the Bloodworths moved around with them  - unfortunately too early for the census to be of any help.

Cheers,

Carol