Author Topic: Latour / Lantour / Lautour of Calcutta, India  (Read 16132 times)

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Latour / Lantour / Lautour of Calcutta, India
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to put together a picture of the Latour family in Calcutta.

It proving difficult as what records there are show different spellings of the surname including Latour, Lautour, Lantour, Lattore etc even Hantour.

In my tree I have:

Louis Latour
b 1799, m Catherine Smith on Sept 1822 at John Cathederal, Calcutta, d 1833

Christiana Agnes Latour (daughter of Louis and Catherine)
b 1825, m John Milne on 27 Nov 1846, d 1909

Lydia A Latour (daughter of Louis and Catherine)
b 1827, d 1833

Also in Calcutta at the same time there are:

Simon Pierre Latour who marries Jeanette A Guillo in 1826
Sophia Elizabeth Latour who marries William Bernard Carbery in 1831 (Fort William)
Jane Matilda Latour who marries Ernest Dawes Reilly Amman in 1836
Marie Louisa Latour who marries John Herberlet in 1827
Claudine Rose latour who marries Jean Lester
Edward De Lautour who marries Catherine Sconce

Can anyone connect any of these individuals together for me.

Also would like to find out more about Catherine Smith. Her father is Samuel Smith. I'm wondering if he is anything to do with Samuel Smith & Co of Hare Street, Calcutta, which published many newspapers, magazines and periodicals in Calcutta. I'm only guessing as Louis Latour (married to Catherine Smith) is described as a 'writer' on his death in 1833.

Any help would be fantastic

Perks1

Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Milne - India, Northumberland
Perkins - Berkshire, Huntingdonshire, Pembrokeshire, Tasmania
Price - Ireland, Liverpool
Watson - Northumberland

Offline KiwiShepherd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Latour / Lantour / Lautour of Calcutta, India
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi. I may be able to help in a small way. Edward de Lautour who married Catherine Sconce was my great-great grandfather. It was his grandfather Count Francis Joseph Louis Lautour de Quercy who was the first of the family to go to India in 1777. The Count's son Joseph Andrew was a military officer in England until 1814, and his son Edward was born that same year. Edward went to Calcutta at the age of 23 and joined the East India Civil Service. He married Catherine in 1837 and later rose to become a judge in the Supreme Court in Calcutta. I can't help with the other names, although Count Francis Lautour had a son before his marriage, and called him Joseph Francois Louis Lautour, so it is possible I guess that he was the father of your Louis Latour. (That last bit is pure speculation!)
Good luck with your research.

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello and many thanks for your reply and interest.

Louis Latour is my 3 grt grandfather, so I really want to try to take this back further if I can.

I think that speculation isn't always such a bad thing, especially when there isn't anything else to go on. Sometimes it works and sometimes it leads nowhere.

Since reading your reply I have been doing a bit of research online but not found much.  I was wondering if you have any information on Joseph Francois Louis Lautour or the family that you could pass on to me. It may just be that something fits in with the little info that I have.

Regards, Perks1
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland

Offline KiwiShepherd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Perks1.
I do have a lot of information about the wider family, but very little about JFL Lautour. All I have is that in his will, Francis Lautour, JFL's father, wrote..."to my natural son Joseph Francis Louis Lautour by Mrs Elizabeth Proud, now commanding the ship 'Juno' in the East Indies, £3,500 (and if in India) 8,750 pagodas in lieu of the £3,500 sterling."
I hope that is of some help. I will attach a likeness of Count Francis (if I can work out how to do it!)
Regards,
Kiwi Shepherd.
OK - it won't let me attach the picture because it is too big. Perhaps if you would like the picture you could let me know your email on this forum, otherwise I will try and copy it in a smaller file.

Offline hexton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Perks and KiwiShepherd,
I have just seen your postings and am very interested in discovering more about the Lautour family being a descendent of Joseph Andrew / Francis Joseph Louis Lautour  and want to discover more about their history and location- de Quercy and Bouillon and would welcome any input. I would be very grateful if you could tell me where I could get FJL's will and apicture as I have been unable to find anything on the internet or the archives.
You mention the job of "writer" which is essentially that of a negotiator for the sale and purchase of goods  and it is likely that it was for the East India Company- a good job as usually the writer took a commision on the slaes and it was a way to gain wealth. The website www.new.fibris.org is very good for info on British India and from memory has some info on the De Lautours.
 Hope this helps,
Hexton 
De Lautour, William Young, natural son of Patrick 5th Lord Elibank Murray,

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Hexton

Good to hear from you!! Always glad to get in touch with fellow De Lautour/Latour researchers.

Many thanks for the info on 'writer'. This is very interesting - I had no idea that it would have been that sort of job. If you have any more info you can share I'd be most appreciative.

I was a member of fibris but have since let it lapse as I thought I had exhausted all the info and leads on there but I'll have another look. Thank you.

I also would like to get hold of a copy of FJL's will as it might give me some more clues about my Louis Latour's parentage. I'm really stuck an in nee of a breakthrough.

Perks1
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this IGI birth/baptismal record:

Name: Francis John L...Antour
Male
Baptism: 18 Aug 1782
Baptism Place: Chingleput, Madras, India
Father's Name: L...Antour

Index Project number: C00067-3

I came across this one by accident - total luck that I found it as it has never come up in any other searches that I have done before looking for Latour/Lautour/Lantour etc.

Can anyone place this individual?

Is this potentially the illegitimate son with Mrs Elizabeth Proud?

Regards, Perks1
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland

Offline joejoe21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 December 11 05:15 GMT (UK) »
hi there. im trying to trace my son (joseph de Lautour) father's (cecil antony de Lautour) side of the family. edward de Lautour is my son's greatx4 (i think) grandfather. Cecil albert (edward's son) moved to new zealand from calcutta in 1863 and was engaged in politics there on, including becoming the mayor of gisborne. apparantly my son and his father are registered on some de Lautour family tree. any help or information would be awesome. thanks

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there JoeJoe

I think that this is the right family for you.

As far as I know:

Cecil Albert de Lautour is the son of Edward de Lautour (born 9 Nov 1813 Westminster, London, d 16 Nov 1862 Cheltenham, Gloucstershire, England) and Catherine Sconce (b 19 Dec 1813 Sterling, Scotland, d 18 Sep 1899 South Kensington, Middlesex). They were married 1836 in Calcutta and had lots of children.

Edward de Lautour is the son of Joseph Andrew De Lautour (b 17 Apr 1785 Madras, d 28 Apr 1845 Hexton Park, Hexton Hertfordshire) and Caroline Young (1793 Soho, London, d 26 Nov 1869 Hexton Park, Hexton Hertfordshire).

Joseph Andrew De Lautour is the son of Joseph Francis Louis Lautour (commonly called Francis b 1752 Hexton Park d 26 Mar 1803 Devonshire Place, Marylebone, Middlesex) and Ann Hordle (b 1747 Wareham, Dorset, d 31 Oct 1825 Hexton Park). Joseph Francis Louis Lautou and Ann Hordle marry in 1780 in Madras.

Joseph Francis Louis Lautour in the son of Count Francois Lautour and Barbe Ruhn.

Joseph Francis Louis Lautour arrived in Madras in 1777.

Hope this is of some help.

I'm working on the theory that the Louis Latour in my family tree may be related to this family, based in the info posted above that Joseph Francis Louis Latour had an illegitimate son before his marriage to Ann Hordle. The ship 'Juno' that the illegitimate son was captain of was part of the East India Company fleet and was registered in Calcutta, which could potentially place any of his children (and possible my Louis Latour) in Calcutta. There are a few other stray Lautour/Latour etc in Calcutta. It is very difficult to work out how they all fit together or not, and whether thay are part of the De Lautour of Hexton Park or anther Latour family.

I have also found the baptismal records of a Mary Latour on 5 May 1778 at St John's Church Calcutta, daughter of Francis Latour. Interesting - I can find no other mention of another Francis Latour in Calcutta or India and assume that this could be anotherpossible illigitimate child Joseph Francis Louis Lautour (commonly called Francis).

I have worked out that Chery Manuel Latour (a Calcutta Hotellier) has at least 7 children, one Evelina Caroline Sarah Latour marries Arthur Dodd Walwyn Radcliffe in 1850 Calcutta. This marriage is witnessed by a William Bernard Carbery who married a Sophia Elizabeth Latour in 1831 Calcutta. These 2 Latour women must be related but I'm not sure how - possible sisters or aunt and niece.

I'm hoping if I can work on all the LATOURs in Calcutta I might find a connection to my Louis Latour.

Good Luck with your research

Regards, Perks1

Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland