Author Topic: Latour / Lantour / Lautour of Calcutta, India  (Read 16130 times)

Offline Bedilia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latour / Lantour / Lautour of Calcutta, India
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 February 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I've just caught up with this and wondered how far you have got. I am a descendant of Joseph Francois de Lautour(please note that this is the correct spelling of his surname) and the family can be traced back to the 12th century. Extensive research has been done regarding this family. His son, Andrew lived at Hexton Manor in Hertfordshire and one of the parents of the people who still live there, (no relation), researched and wrote a nice biography of Francois. I had the great privilege of meeting the lady in question and her husband a few years ago, sadly both have since died. I have a copy but not at hand at the moment. Please let me know if you still want information.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 February 14 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bedilia

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to their profile, Perks1 hasn't been online here for a few months but as long as their email address hasn't changed they should receive notifications that we have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 February 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Really good to see some activity on this post - thank you for the interest.

I haven't really got much further with my Latour research although the Find My Past site has recently added lots records for BMD for India. Although they don't seem to have any more records than I have found before you can now view the originals which has brought up a few more details.

The marriage of my Louis Latour and Catherine Smith in 1822 was witnessed by Saml Smith (either Catherine's father or brother), R Stuart, Charles Debordieux and A Favre. Non of these remaining names mean anything to me but may catch the attention of someone else.

Also available is the Will of Francis Joseph Louis Lautour so I'll need to take a look at it. Any further information on this man would be gratefully received!!

These records have helped to confirmed that Cheri Manuel Nicholas Latour and Sophie Elizabeth Latour are brother and sister, their father is J Latour Junior of Chitpur Road Calcutta, a Wine Merchant. Cheri is also a Wine Merchant and Hotellier at 122 Chippur Road, probably taking over from his father after his death in 1832. Jane Matilda Latour is also likely to be sister as Cheri gives his permission for her marriage in 1836. However, I still can't connect any of these individuals to my Louis Latour.

Other witnesses at these marriages are P Sutherland, John Morsley, A Heberlet (probably Andrew), F Harvey, and Rob Archibald. Again these names all need looking into.

I have found the widow of a Peter Latour, Writer of Wellsey Square, Calcutta, Charlotte, who died in 1843, aged 40. As of yet I haven't found a marriage for them. I wonder if there is a connection with My Louis Latour who was also a Writer.

I have also looked into the estate of Beebee Burnoo, my 3xgrt grandmother, which was administered in 1830/31 by a Major William Pattle later Lieutenant Colonel William Pattle.

A few more pieces of the puzzle answered but only to open up so many more!!  ???

Perks1

Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Milne - India, Northumberland
Perkins - Berkshire, Huntingdonshire, Pembrokeshire, Tasmania
Price - Ireland, Liverpool
Watson - Northumberland

Offline Bedilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perks 1,

Apart from any illegitimate children Joseph Francois Louis had, all his descendants are accounted for. His mother was lading-in waiting to Marie Antoinette and his father Louis VI's financial advisor. At the time of the revolution Francois was living and trading in India and he was the only survivor of his entire family. Anyone with the surname de Lautour, globally, is one of his descendants, although a few have dropped the "u" to make "de Latour" as this make sense in the French language(of the tower). Most of us live in New Zealand and there have been quite a few family reunions. Poor old Francois was a person without a country for quite some time, but he was eventually allowed to join his wife and children in England with the proviso that he didn't use his title (Count) and dropped the "de" in his name (this is because "de" in French denotes a person belonging to the aristocracy).This was probably a political decision to keep the French happy. He was also allowed back into France, evetually although all the family's property was confiscated. He died in Paris  The current person who perhaps could use the title is in his 90s and live in NZ, but Francois was the last one to use it. 
In regard to illegitimate children I will check out the biography, when I locate it. We've shifted and have not unpacked everything yet.
Regards

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bedilia

Many thanks for that info. If you could spare some time to pull put some more info on the family I would be very grateful.

I think that JFL may have have had an illegitimate daughter, Mary, in 1775, as have found baptismal records on 5 May 1775 at St Johns Church, Calcutta with a father Francis. I can find no further records detailing what happened to her after this.

I wonder if it is possible to trace any details of his illegitimate son with Mrs Elizabeth Proud. In his will he mentions that his son is the Captain of the 'Juno' a East India Company ship but I have been unable to find this ship listed in any EIC records. Also no further trace of this person.

I have found arrival details on 29 June 1790 for a Master Joseph Latour and Miss A Latour aboard the 'Pigot' at Weymouth, Dorset from Bengal and Madras, announced by East India House. I assume these are Joseph Andrew and Amelia.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get any employment records of East India Comany staff?

I would love to try to trace the new Peter Lautour, a Writer of Wellsey Square, with wife Charlotte (widow) who dies in Calcutta in 1843. I just wonder if he might be a brother to my Louis Latour who was also a Writer.

Very interesting that JFL's father was Financial Adviser to Louis VI. My husbands 2xgrt uncle was Sir Ralph Endersby Harwood, Financial Secretary to King George V and also King Edward VIII and briefly served George VI. What a parallel it would be if I could prove a connection to JFL, even if through an illegitimate line, especially as we have used the names Harwood and Latour as middle name for our own children. Both these names are widely used in my family (Latour) and in my husband's family (Harwood).  I am of course getting carried away and speculating!!

Regards, Perks1
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland

Offline Bedilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Perks,

That would be a nice tie up. The dropping of the "u" in de Lautour does make it all a bit more difficult as there are many "la Tours" in France. For example the painter Georges de la Tour, is not related at all. (On an aside Toulouse Lautrec and the de Lautour family share a common an ancestor, Count Raymond of Toulouse.). The name merely means "of the tower" as coming from a tower or a place with a tower. The Family origins are in the Languedoc area. In an area called Comminges, close to the Spanish border. St Bertrand of Comminges and it's wonderful church is on the pilgrimage route to Compestella. Over the centuries branches of the family ended up in various parts of the country. Initially they were very tied up with an abbey called "Bonnefont" which is now a ruin, and gave a lot of money to it. A lot of the research material came from church records, but that's all way back in the history. A book on the family was researched and published a hundred or so years ago and in the 1990s a member of the genealogy society here, just because she wanted to, did a lot more research but mostly into our 4xgreat grandmother's family who came after Francois. I do know he died in Paris, but have no idea where he or Ann Hordle (his wife) are buried. Will try and find that book today, but it looks like we will be on the move again some time soon, this time I hope for quite a while. It's been pretty topsy turvy here what with earthquakes and floods We have moved 6 times since 2009 not all because of the earthquakes and a flood, but still it's wearying. Oh and Frances de la Tour, the actress, is related, somehow.
Regards

Offline Perks1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
I have found that a Joseph Lautour is Captain of and East India Company Ship called the Windham between 22 Nov 1810 and 19 Oct 1811.

His log is available at the National Archives:

Windham: Journal, Lautour  IOR/L/MAR/B/230H  22 Nov 1810-19 Oct 1811

Perks1
Butler - Yorkshire
Harwood - Hertfordshire
Latour - India
Watson - Northumberland

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 May 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
I do hope this thread continues. Its fascinating.  Sandra

Offline Hannah0904

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I'm also researching the Lautour family and wondered if I might ask you some questions about the bits and pieces you've been posting? Bedilia, you seem to have loads of great information on the family - you mentioned that you had a copy of the biography written of Joseph Francois de Lautour - I would love to hear more about what's in it! The line I'm researching goes down through Joseph Andrew and then to William Frances de Lautour, so any additional information about them would be very gratefully received too!