Author Topic: Boyle-O'Neill  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Finnigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyle-O'Neill
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hello County Monaghan,
     Is there anybody out there who would know anything about Mary Ann O'Neill who married Hugh Boyle 1853 to 1857 in Co. Monaghan? He was the son of James Boyle and Sarah Monaghan born about 1832 in Monaghan. I have no info on Mary Ann except that she and Hugh had 5 sons and then she died in Ireland. My grandfather, James, was their first child and he was born 1856 to 1857 in Roslea Parish, near Scotstown. The other sons were John, Edward, Hugh and Joseph. All went to Scotland except Joseph who died as a young man in Ireland.
     After Mary died, Hugh married Susan McQuade, widow of John McQuade in  1872 to 1877, when she dies in Scotland. I cannot find their marriage anywhere. I realize I need  Catholic church records to search but they are not available to me. Is there anyone who can help? Would be very much appreciated.  Sincerely, Finnigan

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boyle-O'Neill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
I think the RC records for Roslea start in 1862:

www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/fermanaghrc.htm

I think incidentally that Roslea itself is actually just inside Co Fermanagh rather than Monaghan. (Perhaps the parish boundaries straddle both counties.). The records should be copied to the National Library in Dublin. They are not available on line and you'd need to get someone to search them for you.
Elwyn

Offline Finnigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello to you Elwyn Soutter,
     Thanks for taking the time to reply to my Boyle/O'Neill inquiry.
I should have explained better that when I said Roslea Parish, I meant the Roman Catholic part of Roslea, which is on the border of Fermanagh but in Co. Monaghan. This is what I understand anyway! At any rate, Hugh and his sons that I have been able to follow, state Monaghan as their county of birth in the various census returns in Lanark, Scotland. I wish I could go to Dublin but I am situated in Washington state so I guess my only hope is to hire a researcher.
     Thanks for your interest and trying to help me. 
                                                                                 Finnigan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
The RC parish of Roslea is also known as Clones which is the name of the equivalent Civil parish, and it covers areas in both Co. Fermanagh and Co. Monaghan. Records were kept for the complete parish - so there's no separate details for Monaghan.

It is shown to the south east of the county on the Fermanagh map link that Elwyn posted (it's not shown on the map for RC Parishes Monaghan)

The records for the parish are available on microfilm Pos. 5577 in the National Library and as mentioned by Elwyn cover baptisms and marriages from 1862.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 October 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
I think it's unlikely you'll find details of Mary Ann O'Neill and Hugh Boyle's marriage, at least from church records, because it predates the start of Roslea RC parish records. That same problem will also make it difficult to trace their births, parents and siblings.

Joseph Boyle's death certificate might be worth getting, if you know his date of death and its after 1864, as it will hopefully give you an exact townland for the family (if you don’t have that already). That may help narrow your search area and help with local enquiries such as gravestone inscriptions.

I can’t see the marriage of Hugh & Susan McQuade on the LDS pilot site or in the IGI. Could they have married in Scotland?
Elwyn

Offline Finnigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, Elwyn and Shane, for your insight into my problem of not only Hugh Boyle and Mary Ann O'Neill but that also of Hugh Boyle and Susan McQuade. I have tried for years to discover anything I can about my great grandmother, Mary Ann, to no avail. As for Susan, I have searched the civil indexes for a marriage to Hugh from 1872 to 1876. And tried other resources for 1877 including all the Pilot, Rootsweb, Family search and Scotlandpeople with no results. 
I start with 1872 because I find Susan still married to John McQuade evidentally, as a baby, Susanna, was born to them on Nov 7, Scotstown. And I end in 1877 because Susan dies March 10 in Glasgow. It's a relatively small window to search but even so, I have found nothing. Susan's maiden name was Reilly, her father, John Reilly.
You may be wondering if she and Hugh really married. All I can say to that is that she is listed as his 2nd wife, deceased, on his death cert in 1900 and he is also listed as the widower of Mary Ann O'Neill and Susan McQuade when he marries his 3rd wife, Sarah (Brannan) McKenna/McCanna in June 1877 in Glasgow. And believe it or not, Sarah dies before Hugh and so he is a widower 3 times! Amazing.
     I hope both of you are having great Irish luck with your searches.
                             Sincere thanks,  Finnigan