Author Topic: ED 393. VN-K.  (Read 5042 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ED 393. VN-K.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately we are still losing the young people in Afghanistan etc but its not in as great a number. I am involved in several remembrance ceremonies over the next week or so (in best dress uniform) and the last post will make me well up every time I hear it.... :'(
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Great to see those medals pictured, l have the same three handed down to me just over a year ago, you could have knocked me down with a feather when they were given to me as it was quite unexpected.
My Uncle failed to return from an op to Berlin 3/4 Sept 1943. My Dad who is now 80 is so pleased that l have the medals as he thought they were long gone.

And get this lowanslow.....my Dad and his family were all born in Jarrow and lived for a time in Hebburn too..........just along the road from Felling.

By the way, the Aircrew Europe Star is really special, as it was particular to aircrew.....about the only recognition they got.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline 50sqnwopag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
its a shame some of them don't like wearing it, as (the one I spoke to said) they have gotten grief from their own country folk, who were born after the Germans tried to take over the world and as a result of the post war political scum distancing themselves from their own policies.... >:(

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 17:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a campaign in play at the moment for there to be a special bomber medal...
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there dee, you are right and each time some one is lost it does sadden the soul, and when you hear the bugle it does pull the heart out through the throat. Thanks for the news that they are trying to bring that medal about, will keep eyes and ears open.
 Totally agree 50sqnwopag.
WelwynGC1 cheers for that information, you think that there would have been more recognition for all of the efforts for all airman. It was nice to hear that your Dad was from Jarrow, Hebburn, my Grandad was born and brought up there.
Purvis/purves. conlon, carson. Birney, monaghan, moore. World war I/II. Raf.

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 November 10 06:03 GMT (UK) »
its a shame some of them don't like wearing it, as (the one I spoke to said) they have gotten grief from their own country folk, who were born after the Germans tried to take over the world and as a result of the post war political scum distancing themselves from their own policies.... >:(
Whilst l agree with you, l am surprised you have encountered someone who doesnt like wearing it.....maybe they just dont want to be reminded of the horror of the times. All the veterans l have met wear it with pride.  It also fills me with pride to know my Uncle took part, albeit for only three missions.

Hi Dee.....a campaign medal would be fantastic, but dont hold your breath...l fear it will never happen. Shame on anyone who thinks they dont deserve it.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 November 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Spotted on the web that there is an unofficial bombers medal for sale on the awards medal site, it's a pity they couldn't make a official medal for the those who served with the bombers. What do you think, worth buying, or better to hang out for the real thing.
 Here is a couple of copies of a few  photographs I was allowed to keep. Hope you dont mind.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 November 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
The first of those photos is similar to the one that had me in tears. In the one I have though Edgar is looking at the camera and grinning cos hes in the pilots seat.  He was an observer (bomb aimer)... Great photos...  :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dee, its great having these I hope I can find more, sent off for his records, so will have to play the waiting game now. Till then.