Author Topic: CLARK (or Clerk) in West Calder  (Read 6071 times)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLARK (or Clerk) in West Calder
« on: Monday 25 October 10 05:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings from downunder.

I am looking for forebears of Janet Millar Hamilton, if anyone can help please. 

Born 13 Apr 1854, Edinburgh
Married Edward Probert Robinson, 19/6/1877 in Melbourne, Australia
Died in Melbourne Australia

Her parents were, I think: 
Peter Hamilton (b. 2/10/1830)
(I think his parents were Peter Hamilton and Helen Falconer)
Born Saint Cuthberts, Midlothian, Scotland
m.  Isabella Clerk OR Clark (b abt 1830), Edinburgh
I think Isabella’s parents where Thomas Clerk or Clark and Janet Miller (could be Millar).

In the early 1950s a (now-deceased) great Aunt of mine (Catherine Rose Robinson, sister of Janet Millar Hamilton (née Robinson)) visited a “Mr and Mrs Clark” in West Calder, I understand.  We have some photographs with this information written on them.  One the rear one has written “Mr and Mrs Thomas Clark, Kate [my great Aunt], Miss Margaret Clark and Mrs Blevins – At West Calder.” Another has a similar comment in the rear. This suggests to me that my great Aunt was probably visiting relatives in Scotland. 

Can anyone help with possible places for me to look please - or with possible family connections?

I would be most happy to share the photographs I have of “The Clark Family” – Three women and a man.  The 5 photos are entitled “The Clark Family and Houses in West Calder”.  One of the houses is “Grandfather Clark’s old home in West Calder”. Another photo has on the rear “Grandfather Clark’s old home at end, middle building was formerly his balehouse for some 50 years. Now converted into a Residence”. I have no idea whether the other photo is related to the Clark family but it is of a shop with the sign “Cabinetmaker J. O GILVIE Upholsterer”.

(I also have a photograph of “Mr and Mrs Clark at Tellisford near Bath” though these appear different people to those in West Calder”).

I would be very pleased to hear any possible pointers that will help put further information into my family records.

I will gladly supply Australian information relating to the families of Catherine Rose Hamilton (married name Jessop) and Janet Millar Hamilton (married name Yates).

Thanks folks,

Dave
Brisbane, Australia
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK (or Clerk) in West Calder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Mrs Blevins was Janet Millar Clark daughter of Andrew Clark (Baker)and Agnes Reid Blair (Deceased  by 1911) who married John Blevins (Gamekeeper) of Gala at 40 Main Street West Calder.   A witness was a Maggie Clark.    (Scotlandspeople download of marriage registration))

1901 census the Clark family are listed as-
Andrew 49
Agnes 12
Agnes 52
Janet 18
Thomas 14

Andrew died 9th July 1929 aged 78 at 40 Main Street, West Calder and was the son of Thomas Clark (Baker)  and Janet Miller and advised by Thomas Clark (son) of 25 Kirkgate, West Calder.

I would think that balehouse should be Bakehouse.

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this reply and information.

Yes, the word could well be bakehouse - it is old, handwritten and slightly faded.

This is great information.  I am most grateful

Dave

Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
The sun must be down by now!      Thomas Clark senr died aged 78 on 21st January 1892  son of Andrew Clark (Labourer) and Elizabeth Cuthbertson.  Advised by son John Clark.    He was living with his daughter Janet (30) in the 1881 census.

Attachment will be of interest

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 October 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful.  Thanks SO much.  I look as though I have gone back two generations in one day! 

Yes, the sun is well and truly set at 9.52pm.  It actually set at 6.05 this evening, but it was a great day weather-wise in Brisbane.  The local tourist blurb says our weather is beautiful one day and perfect the next!

If you are in Scotland, you must be cooling off a bit now.  We were in Scotland (including Skye) in about Mid June . . excellent!

Thanks again, I'm impressed.  Now to marry this with some erroneous data I have in FTM.

Dave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 October 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
This could be a possible connection.

Peter Hamilton (Baker) in the 1851 census has his place of birth as Lasswade.

The 1841 census for Lasswade had a Peter Hamilton aged  70 years.  (Census rounded the years in some cases).      There was a subsequent death of a Peter Hamilton aged 88 on  14th February 1855 in Lasswade (Bilston).    The death registrations in 1855 had more information than today .

This Peter was born in Kirknewton and had lived 50 years in Lasswade.   His parents were William Hamilton, Farmer and Agnes Cunningham.   He was married to Jean McGregor and they had the following children:

Thomas 56 dec
??????  56   (unclear so I have again attached this portion for others to decide - Janet?)
Alexander 55
James    53
William 49
Margaret 45
John 36 dec
Jane 40
Charles 38
Agnes 36
Peter 34
he was buried in Pentland and the death was advised by son Alexander.

The interesting and possible match is the age of son Peter which ties in correctly.

There was marriage between Peter Hamilton and Jane MacGregor in Mid Calder 2nd January 1796.

Looking further into the Hamiltons of Lasswade,  I noticed a marriage between a Janet Hamilton and a William Hutchison  in 1815  - which just happens to be the family that Peter (baker) was staying with in Browns Court, Edinburgh in 1851.    One daughter Marion aged 12 and further investigation on Janet's death on 26th March 1877, 2 Roxburgh Street, Edinburgh, a widow aged  79 and daughter of Peter Hamilton, Road Surveyor and Jane McGregor, advised by her son-in-law George Burnett. (Married to Margaret Hutchison 27 November 1861).   Confirmation.

If you would like the images which have been downloaded  drop me a message.

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 October 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
gain, Wow!  Thanks so much.

This is very interesting - and helpful. You sure have some resources at your fingertips!  I'll try and get this information into my head this evening.

Interestingly, I looked for 6 North Newington Place (just on the off chance) and came up with "Martin, Alexander, baker, 6 North Newington"
in an 1856-1857 Edinburgh Post Office Directory . .

I think I am inclined to agree about the possible Janet, though it is certainly a bit unclear.

You commented about Census data being rounded.  I WAS aware that in the 1831 census in England children's ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years but didn;t know it also happened with adults.

Sorry, but please excuse my ignorance.  I don't have a name for you I can recognise from your signature.

Thanks again, very much.

Dave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Albanian translation required for my user name after a couple of spats with the moderators -  but I answer to anything.

Gordon

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gordon!  That helps.

I have just realised that, unless I'm mistaken, there is a bit of a problem here with the data we have.  My date of birth for Peter Hamilton (Jnr) is 2/10/1830.  The information above suggests THIS Peter Hamilton was born around 1821.  (I must go back and find where I came across the Peter Hamilton/Helen Falconer suggestion!)

In the list of children you gave there are two who were deceased at the time of their father's death. Are the ages given the ages they WOULD have been if they were alive? Curious, for future reference.

There is little doubt about the Clarke family information fitting. It would be nice to fit the photographs to a present location.

Thanks for your help.

Dave