Author Topic: CLARK (or Clerk) in West Calder  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK (or Clerk) in West Calder
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 October 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
Dave,

The fact that Peter Hamilton (88) was tucked in at Pentland and with the interesting history of this old place I had a visit today.   Not many stones standing but there was one for Thomas Hamilton aged 56 who died 10th October 1854 erected by Peter Hamilton.   Interesting for me because in the 1841 census Thomas was on a farm where one of my ancestors worked before moving to Edinburgh.

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK in West Calder
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

You are SO fortunate to be where/so close to where everything "happened?

Thanks for the photo!  I had a little difficulty reading part of it.  Can you help please"  I have:

?Erected by??
PETER HAMILTON
In Memory of his father
THOMAS HAMILTON
Who died at  ?? (Looks like Greenlawmains?)  10th Oct 1854
Aged 56 years
Also MARION TATE
Wife of Thomas Hamilton
Who died at Edinburgh 27 March 18??
Aged 66 years
Also their daughter MARION
Died 29th March 1848
Aged ?11?? years

I am not sure yet that it fits any of my Hamiltons but I haven't had much of a chance to look in detail.

If the person in the photograph was part of your"party" then I am guessing you and I are in a similar age bracket (?and retired?)  - especially that you were out and about like that on a weekday.

Thanks again,

Dave
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline sac00

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I'm researching the Clark family and came across your earlier posts.  Couldn't find Isabella until I saw that she married Peter and went to Australia.  Isabella had three younger sisters and three younger brothers - the youngest of whom, Andrew, was also a baker, as was his son Thomas.  This is the Mr Thomas Clark who along with his wife Marion, and sisters Margaret and Janet (Mrs Blevins) that you say you have photos of  - they would be your great aunts' cousins. I would love to see the photos!
Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 05:22 GMT (UK) »
G'day sac00,

Thanks for the contact.

Sorry for such a long delay. I was away in the UK for 2 months when you wrote and no sooner had we returned than we went away again driving in the southern part of Australia.  I HAD missed your message, but saw it today as we arrived home.

I have a few things to sort out but will try to respond with details within a few days if that is OK.

Thanks again for the contact,

Dave
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)