Author Topic: Martha WITHEY and Charles BARROW  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Re: Martha WITHEY and Charles BARROW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 October 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Thank you Thank you...I am beyond thrilled and appreciative.  I did come across that 1851 census and did hope that Elizabeth was 15 ...I too saw that her birthdate was crossed through.  I did find Charles living with his grandfather at the Manor  in Wedmore...   in 1861 but his birthdate showed him 5 instead of 8.
But where was Elizabeth and her family...dying to find that 1861 census with them in it.  By 1867 they were well on their way to New York...

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 October 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
PS   am dying to sit down with the Martha Withey info to find out what her family was all about. 

Will do a lot more reading once I get home.  THIS is FASCINATING...and I am thrilled beyond words with all of the help you have given me. 

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 October 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
PS  Another line goes back to Viscount Robert Tracy II...and I did run across a Dorothy Cocks marrying into the family.  Wonder what tha t line is about.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 October 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Oh goodness gracious....just reread what you found.  WOW....this IS some interesting info.  Little did I know that these lines were so fascinating.  Charles Barrow was the son of John Barrow, the Magistrate at Wedmore....he and Martha Withey had Elizabeth Barrow who married Henry Ernest Wylde (of the Wyldes from the Commandery and Worcester)   Gosh, this has been a fun FUN search.  AM dying to come back and visit all of this.  Would be fun to treat you to lunch or dinner when I do make it back that way.  I am truly fascinated with my English roots.  My grandfather's mother died from complications of giving him birth.  His older sister died as a preteen.  From 15 children that Henry Ernest Wylde and Elizabeth Barrow had...only two, Elizabeth Barrow Wylde (who married James Smithe Haring Jr) and Cecelia Wylde (who married Frederick Washburn) had any posterity.  And from Elizabeth's line, only one brother of mine and me had any children. 

Offline Copper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 November 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased to see that my Pickwick site has been so helpful :-)

I have a transcription of the very long will which Eleazer Pickwick made in 1829 and the codocil he added in 1835.

He was trying to think of every eventuality when he left instructions about his various properties.  Martha is mentioned but as it is complicated and way past my bedtime I will post more tomorrow.

Copper

Offline Copper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 November 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
If you look at this page on the Pickwick site

http://pickwickfamily.org/p1.htm#i20

you will see that Harriet Sainsbury married Charles Pickwick.  It is this branch of the family which changed their name from Pickwick to Sainsbury.

Eleazer left his property to his wife and she had the choice of which property to reside in.  After her death or if she decided to live in Queen Square in Bath his nephew William Eleazer Pickwick had the use of his other property. Eleazer was trying to keep his property intact so it was left to his cousin Moses Pickwick, or nephew William Eleazer Pickwick or nephew Charles Pickwick and their male heirs.  If Moses had no male heirs then that property was for the use of his niece Martha Withy and her sons. If Martha had no sons then any daughters of Moses were to have use of the property.  If Moses had no daughters then any daughters of Martha were to have use of the property.

Eleazer's sister Mrs Elizabeth Bullock was to receive an annual sum of £50 by quartely payments. After Elizabeth's death the trustees had to raise £2,000 which was to be paid to Martha Withy the daughter of Elizabeth Bullock.

In the codicil Martha is mentioned  "my niece Martha Withey now Barrow". She and her children were to take the place of Moses Pickwick and his children.  "my niece the said Martha Barrow late Withey now the wife of Charles Barrow Esquire an annuity of one hundred and fifty pounds by quarterly payments".  Martha was also to receive £2,000.

You can download Eleazer's will for a small sum of money from

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Type Eleazer Pickwick in the search box and it should find the will.

I hope that this helps.

Copper

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 November 10 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I am THRILLED to death to get this information.  Will look at all of it and try to establish birth dates and places as well as death dates and places of Martha Withey Barrow's parents...thanks so much.  All of you have been SUPER....hugs sent your way from Dallas!!!!

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 November 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just stumbled across this line of posts. You may have come across my own query relating to another Charles Barrow (unsuccessful in posting link but made in last couple of days). My Charles was born about 1780 and married in BAckwell 1803. I connot find a link but am sure they are related as majority of Barrow family at that time came from Wedmore and surrounding villages.

Because I have been researching the family I have a bit of other information on the Wedmore branch which you may not already have.

I have the marriage of your Charles Barrow to Martha Withey in Ashwick on 6 Feb 1833.
Your Charles Barrow was son of John and Charlotte Barrow. They had two other children, Elizabeth and John (A)  who were witnesses at Charles and Martha's wedding.
John (B)  Barrow (their father) was baptised at Wedmore on 19 Mar 1787. He died on 27 Jan 1853 . Charlotte died on 17 Jan 1853 .
John (B) was the son of John (C) Barrow and Sarah.
John (C) Barrow was baptised on 16 Aug 1744 and died on 28 Jan 1804 in Wedmore. Sarah died on 16 Sep 1808 .
John (C) was the son of John (D) Barrow and Joanna
John (D) Barrow was born about 1699 and died on 15 May 1778. Joanna died on 10 Jan 1785.
John (D) Barrow was the son of John (E) Barrow and Grace.
John (E) Barrow was born in 1676 and died on 11 Jul 1720.Grace died in 1749.

I hope this information is useful
Please let me know if you find any link to my Charles Barrow.

lizb
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
That Elizabeth Barrow was my 2ND great grandmother.  I have a larger portrait of her looking at me as I type.  She married Henry Ernest Wylde and came to New York in 1867.  If you message me privately I will share my email address so we can exchange information.  Her brother ended up being buried in the Wylde family plot at Germonds Cemetery in New City New York.  You can see that info and picture on findagrave.com.  I am CaroleNC on that site.  It appeared that he married but was widowed and came over to live with  his sister.  Would be FUN to have a Barrow relative reunion one day.