Author Topic: Considine - McMahon of Clare - Genealogy Assistance Needed  (Read 15790 times)

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Considine - McMahon of Clare - Genealogy Assistance Needed
« on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
REVISED October 28, 2010

My great grandfather Denis Considine (born approximately December 5, 1864 – believed to be the son of John Considine and Kate Carmody) and his wife Bridget (McMahon) (born approximately September 24, 1868 believed to be the daughter of Andrew and Margaret Clohessy) moved to the USA around 1914. I have the ship register and Denis's citizenship papers and their marriage certificate. They were married at the Chapel of Doonbeg in Cragaknock, Clare,Kilrush Ireland on September 6th, 1887.  I believe Bridget was from Kilrush (Quilty) and Denis is also from Clare. 

I am trying determine if either Denis or Bridget had any brothers or sisters and if the parent information I have is correct--which I believe it is. I believe the information I have on Bridget is correct because we've just determined that she has a brother John who was christened in the Chapel of Doonbeg on May 27, 1870.  I have just requested their birth certificates from the Republic of Ireland.  I also determined that John was married to a Mary and they had four children.  Bridget, Michael, Margaret and Ellen.  They lived in Ballard, Killard, Clare, Ireland.

I've only been able to trace back to their marriage but can't get past this point. I appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Considine's of Clare, Kilrush
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
IGI (www.familysearch.org) lists 1 child of John Considine and Kate Carmody- Denis born 5 Dec.1864 Craggaknock, Co.Clare (page 374 in civil register).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  That is where I found what I believe to be his birth date.  I'm stuck at this point.  I'm trying to determine whether he had any brothers or sisters.  The same with his wife.  Any suggestions on where to go from there?  I'm in the process of trying to obtain church records but its a slow process.  I appreciate any assistance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:55 BST (UK) »

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the 1911 info.  I did have the info on the 1901 census.  This is how I determined Bridget's parents by the Clohessy living with them. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
How can you make a connection between Bridget Considine and the Bridget Clohesy in 1911 census? she's just listed as a relative and is unmarried but could be related to either Denis or Bridget, or both.

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 Censure there is a Bridget Clohesy (Relative) living with the Considine Family.  When I was researching Bridget McMahon's birth date and partents, I found an Andew McMahon married to a Margaret Clohessy so I'm thinking it may have been her Aunt?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Maybe, maybe not. Could be an aunt, cousin, distant relative or even someone related to Denis.

Offline knesfeder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Well, this is where my searching stops because I can't get past this point.
Hopefully someone will have some information to help me.  Thanks for your help.