Author Topic: Richard William Handley [Herefordshire born: Railway Guard at Cardiff Station].  (Read 1767 times)

Offline JohnCH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone can help me please?  

I'm researching the life of my great uncle, Richard William Handley [1868 - 1933], a railwayman and guard at Cardiff Station and Depot around 1900.  Little is known of him after 1880, when he moved from Herefordshire to Cardiff, where he lodged at the home of his aunt and her husband [Thomas Prosser, a wood craftsman, and Mary Prosser /ne Handley] in St. John's Cardiff.  He later lodged with his cousins,  Joseph E. A. Prosser and Sidney C. Prosser, who were both employed as railway clerks and resided in Woodville Road, St. John's. Towards the end of his life, for some years, he lodged with Violet O'Mara of 46 Thesiger Street, Cathays, where he died in 1933.
I should be delighted to hear, if anyone recognises any of these names, or has any connection with these people, or any other information.  
With thanks.  JohnCH.

Offline Cannon68

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Richard William Handley [Herefordshire born: Railway Guard at Cardiff Station].
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there
My grandad was George Arthur Handley who was born in Cardiff in the late 1800's. The family lived in the Llandaf North area of the city, there may be a connection. I'll do some research.

Regards,
Tony Handley

Offline JohnCH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard William Handley [Herefordshire born: Railway Guard at Cardiff Station].
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there
My grandad was George Arthur Handley who was born in Cardiff in the late 1800's. The family lived in the Llandaf North area of the city, there may be a connection. I'll do some research.

Regards,
Tony Handley

Offline JohnCH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Thank you for your message. I don't have anything on a George Arthur Handley, but it does seem too much of a coincidence! I'll have a look through my papers. I should be grateful if any link emerges.
Best wishes,
John Handley