Author Topic: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?  (Read 16357 times)

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I have had a look in the book I have for the names you mentioned and could find nothing I am afraid

Yours Aye
BruceL

Many thanks for looking, BruceL.  James, Betty & Mary are remain extremely elusive!

Dorothy in Canada

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

In the MIs for Methven

by Jas Young carrier , w Eliz MILLER 4.7.1816 35

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

In the MIs for Methven

by Jas Young carrier , w Eliz MILLER 4.7.1816 35

Yours Aye
BruceL

BruceL, that is totally brilliant, and exciting!  Thank you very much both for the information, and the search. 

James was my g-g-grandfather.  Two of his sons: James Junior & Archibald are interred in the Methven churchyard, but I could find no stone for James Senior or either of his wives when I visited the area. 

The stone next to James Jr and Arch had toppled onto its face, and I wondered if it might belong to another family member.  Does your book pinpoint the location in the cemetery?

I need a bit of translation for the information you posted:  does '35' refer to the age of Elizabeth?

Do you know what 'by James Young carrier' means?

Dorothy in Canada

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

The 35  is the age of the deceased

In the index stones 26,27,and 28 are linked together making it look as though there is a family connection the names you mention below are listed I will sort them and post later I am at work at the moment.

on the map in the book the grave is marked on the far side from the gate in front of a house

Yours Aye
BruceL

ADDED:  27 (near 26) Jas YOUNG  fr d Pitbaughlie DUNFERMLINE 28.6.1896 78, w Jessie GIBSON 16.12.1899 by daughter.

28 Archd  YOUNG  mert 1.9.1903  83, w Eliz  LAWSON 17.1.1922 88
das: ISABELLA 8.3.1869 6y,  Johanna 22.10.1891  20,  Eliz 19.9.1915 

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
A huge thank you, Bruce. 

James Young and his first wife, Elizabeth Miller, are my 4 x grandparents.  It's always exciting to get further details.

Regards.

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

Your welcome just paying back some of the help I have had over the years from others on RC

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

The 35  is the age of the deceased

In the index stones 26,27,and 28 are linked together making it look as though there is a family connection the names you mention below are listed I will sort them and post later I am at work at the moment.

on the map in the book the grave is marked on the far side from the gate in front of a house

Yours Aye
BruceL

ADDED:  27 (near 26) Jas YOUNG  fr d Pitbaughlie DUNFERMLINE 28.6.1896 78, w Jessie GIBSON 16.12.1899 by daughter.

28 Archd  YOUNG  mert 1.9.1903  83, w Eliz  LAWSON 17.1.1922 88
das: ISABELLA 8.3.1869 6y,  Johanna 22.10.1891  20,  Eliz 19.9.1915

Thank you yet again, BruceL!  I have the descendants of James Young Jr tracked, and think they are accurately in 'The Tree'.  One mystery remains for James Jr: who was the mother of his illegitimate son, Peter?  That will likely remain a mystery.  Only one of the children borne to his marriage survived to adulthood - his daughter, Isabella (Young) McKerchar - and she erected the headstone.

Archibald Young was my maternal great-grandfather, so I have his descendants well wrapped.

James Sr, the father of the 2 mentioned above (among many others), has been difficult to pin down, so having a break through with wife #1 is amazingly good news.  James Sr & Mary (McVicar) Young died between 1841-1851, but they could in the same burial site as wife #1 - Eliz (Miller).

How would one would go about getting a headstone restored back in position?  James, Betty & Mary may all be hiding on the face of it!

Final note:  did you have any thoughts about what 'by James Young, carrier' might mean?  I'm guessing that 'by' might mean the headstone was erected by James??  'carrier' - his occupation??  In all records, he seems to have been a farmer, mainly at Needburn or Burnbrae Farms in the Methven area.

Where did you find the wonderful reference book that you are using?

Gratefully,

Dorothy in Canada

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Carrier was his occupation (modern version Lorry Driver) moving goods by horse and cart or wagon.

It could be that he had a carriers business.

The book I have is southern Perthshire published by the Scottish genealogical society in Edinburgh

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/Downloads.aspx

As for getting a headstone restored and put back into position I think you would need to speak to a
local stone mason perhaps someone who knows will come along and answer your question.

I would also look at the free search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  for any wills that may have been made.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Carrier was his occupation (modern version Lorry Driver) moving goods by horse and cart or wagon.

It could be that he had a carriers business.

The book I have is southern Perthshire published by the Scottish genealogical society in Edinburgh

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/Downloads.aspx

As for getting a headstone restored and put back into position I think you would need to speak to a
local stone mason perhaps someone who knows will come along and answer your question.

I would also look at the free search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  for any wills that may have been made.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Thank you, BruceL.  I will check out your suggestions.

Dorothy in Canada