Author Topic: St Helier, Jersey Parish Registers - LUCE  (Read 11091 times)

Offline wcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Helier, Jersey Parish Registers - LUCE
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Two daughters of my gggg-grandparents James DAY and Angelique LE BRASSEUR of Paspebiac, Quebec married into the LUCE family of Jersey and were living in St Helier, Jersey during the mid to late 19th century. After the death of her husband, my gggg-grandmother moved to St Helier, Jersey to live with her daughters. Looking for Angelique DAY's death/burial between 1841 and 1851.

Her daughter, Angelique, married Francis LUCE in 1828 in Paspebiac. Francis LUCE died before 1841. Angelique then married John AUBIN before 1851. Looking for Angelique AUBIN's death/burial after 1871.

Angelique's sister, Sophia, married John LUCE. John LUCE died before 1851. Looking for Sophia LUCE's death/burial after 1861.

Sophia had four children born in Jersey. Jane LUCE (b abt 1832 St Mary) married Frederick FALLE bef 1871. Mary Sophia LUCE (b abt 1834 St Mary) married Charles LE SUEUR abt 1861. Ann Charlotte LUCE (b abt 1836 St Mary) did not marry. John Day LUCE (b abt 1837 St Helier) married Elizabeth Emma Josephine PARKER abt 1864. Looking for the above marriages and for John Day LUCE's birth/baptism.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Cooke
Ontario, Canada

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier, Jersey Parish Registers - LUCE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I had a brief look this morning although hopefully I should have more time next week.

The death of Angelique Day is recorded in Vol 6 of the St Helier indexes (Aug 1849-Aug 1850) It is on page 39 so probably early 1850.

John Day Luce (1837) seemed to have had a lot of children, some of their baptisms can be found on jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je.

Although he was a Solicitor providing for his family does not seem to have been his strong point as in 1881 at least one of his children, another John Day Luce, was admitted to the children's home with the comment, "The father lived above his means and brought his family to poverty and neglect"

Sophia Luce appears on the 1871 census living with her son John Day so she died somewhat later than you originally thought.

I should have some more information for you by the end of next week.

Offline wcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information and the promise of more. I have the 1871 Census data with Sophia LUCE living with her son, so I'm not sure why I wrote 1861 as her earliest possible year of death. I also have all the baptisms of Sophia LUCE's grandchildren from Donkipedia, including John Day LUCE's 16 children, so I am just looking for marriages and burials.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Angelique DAY

29/10/1849 Angelique LE BRASSEUR, veuve de James DAY esq, age 76, occupation Rentiere, cause of death Viellesse. Death notified by N G (?) Aubin.

I have not looked at the certificates for these but have the information from the funeral directors records

Angelique AUBIN

12/2/1893 (this could be the burial date) Angelique AUBIN née DAY, widow of John, aged 86. Buried in St Saviour but died in St Helier. Also widow of Francis LUCE.

Sophia LUCE

6/11/1873 (again could be the burial date),  Sophia LUCE née DAY, aged 64, widow of Captain John LUCE.

From the St Helier parish records John LUCE and Sophia DAY married 9/11/1833

I have not found the marriage of Angelique and John yet but I did find baptisms for 2 children of Angelique and Francis - you may already have them.

Ann Day LUCE baptised St Helier 12/12/1830. Godparents Edouard Luce and Ann Luce
Francis John LUCE baptised St Helier 5/1/1834. Godparents John Luce and Rachel Luce. Burial St Helier 29/10/1835, aged 1 year and 10 months.

John Day LUCE

St Helier baptism 24/5/1837

Trinity marriage

8/7/1865
John Day LUCE, aged 28, bachelor, occupation Solicitor, living in St Helier, born in St Helier. Father John Luce, Merchant
to
Elizabeth Emma Josephine PARKER, aged 19, spinster, no occupation, living in St Helier, born in Greenwich. Father William Parker, Commander Royal Navy.

Witnesses William George Aubin and Francois Godfrey

I have not found the marriages of Sophia and John's daughters yet but did come across this in the funeral directors records

John Day LUCE, died 11//6/1894, agede 18 years, buried 14/6/1894. Son of John Day Luce of Five Oaks, St Saviour. Died at the General Hospital.

Also, John LUCE 17/11/1915 (burial?) aged 78 - which fits with an 1837 birth.

I'll have another look for the outstanding marriages next week.

Offline wcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Based on the above information, I was able to trace Angelique DAY (1807-1893) through the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses. In 1871, Angelique, a widow, was living with her daughter Ann Day Luce and her husband William George AUBIN in St Saviour, Jersey. In 1881 she was living with her widowed son-in-law in St Saviour, and in 1891 with her grandson, Percy AUBIN, in St Helier.

I am now also looking for the following:

Marriage of Ann Day LUCE to William George AUBIN about 1851 in St Helier
Death of Ann Day AUBIN nee LUCE between 1871 and 1881 in St Saviour

Also looking for the death of John AUBIN, the husband of Angelique DAY, between 1861 and 1871 in St Helier.

Offline MccarthyAubin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My great grandmother was Anna Louisa Aubin daughter of Ann Day Luce & William George Aubin. Siblings were Walter Day, Herbert G., Percy Adrian & Harold Lewis.  She died in Vancouver, BC in 1944.  Anna Louise had 5 children (Vivian George, Juliet Annie, Robert Adrian, May Louise and Lillian) with at least 2 men although she seems to have been only married to Thomas Bray. May's death cert lists her father as Julius Adrian Aubin and Juliet's father is listed as Jules Adrien Le Crosnier (same guy??).  Lillian's father was Thomas Bray.  Not certain as to who Robert's father was nor who my great grandfather Vivian's father was (was rumoured that it may be a noble with the last name St. Germaine).  Vivian was born in Belgium but was taken straight back to Jersey Isl. Ann Day's mother seems to have been Angelique Day who was married to both a John Aubin & Francis Luce.  Walter's parents are more difficult to verify but best guess is George (b.1796) & Mary Aubin (b.1801). Love to confirm and figure all this out. 

Offline FarEastDD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Great Grandfather was John Day-Luce....
I think that I am right in saying that he had 13 children
From what I have been told the children were sent away to be raised by other people (not very nice).....my grandfather was sent to Portsmouth, in which area he lived until he died around the age of 98
It would appear that John Day-Luce claim to fame was,  he was acquainted with Lord Tennyson....indeed I have seen a letter from Lord Tennyson.....which I seem to remember commenced    "My Dear Day-Luce"      the letter and also a cigar case with the Tennyson coat of arms disappeared from grandparents home many years ago, when an unscrupulous antique dealer from Brighton "cold called" on them and relieved them of many articles/paintings etc.
I have been told by my cousin that a friend of hers saw this letter in a museum in Canada.

Offline wcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have your great-grandmother and her siblings in my notes, but no birth, baptism, death or burial dates. I'm still looking for the marriage and death/burials of Ann Day LUCE and William George AUBIN. Ann Day LUCE, the daughter of Francis LUCE and Angelique DAY (1807-1893), was baptised at St Saviour, Jersey on 12 Dec 1830.

Hi,

My great grandmother was Anna Louisa Aubin daughter of Ann Day Luce & William George Aubin. Siblings were Walter Day, Herbert G., Percy Adrian & Harold Lewis.  She died in Vancouver, BC in 1944.  Anna Louise had 5 children (Vivian George, Juliet Annie, Robert Adrian, May Louise and Lillian) with at least 2 men although she seems to have been only married to Thomas Bray. May's death cert lists her father as Julius Adrian Aubin and Juliet's father is listed as Jules Adrien Le Crosnier (same guy??).  Lillian's father was Thomas Bray.  Not certain as to who Robert's father was nor who my great grandfather Vivian's father was (was rumoured that it may be a noble with the last name St. Germaine).  Vivian was born in Belgium but was taken straight back to Jersey Isl. Ann Day's mother seems to have been Angelique Day who was married to both a John Aubin & Francis Luce.  Walter's parents are more difficult to verify but best guess is George (b.1796) & Mary Aubin (b.1801). Love to confirm and figure all this out.

Offline wcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
In my notes I have 16 children listed for John Day LUCE and Elizabeth Emma Josephine PARKER. I have birth/baptism dates for 12 of them at St Helier. The other four appear in census data. Four children were at home with their parents in 1871, nine in 1881, and seven in 1891, so it would not appear that all were sent away.

John Day LUCE is listed as a correspondent in the Tennyson papers held by the Lilly Library, Indiana University.

Hi

My Great Grandfather was John Day-Luce....
I think that I am right in saying that he had 13 children
From what I have been told the children were sent away to be raised by other people (not very nice).....my grandfather was sent to Portsmouth, in which area he lived until he died around the age of 98
It would appear that John Day-Luce claim to fame was,  he was acquainted with Lord Tennyson....indeed I have seen a letter from Lord Tennyson.....which I seem to remember commenced    "My Dear Day-Luce"      the letter and also a cigar case with the Tennyson coat of arms disappeared from grandparents home many years ago, when an unscrupulous antique dealer from Brighton "cold called" on them and relieved them of many articles/paintings etc.
I have been told by my cousin that a friend of hers saw this letter in a museum in Canada.