Author Topic: 1911 census - Rootschatters' tips for success  (Read 36542 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1911 census - Rootschatters' tips for success
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all who have contributed "tips" to make searching the 1911 census easier - and cheaper!  If anyone would like to add suggestions, please contact me by Personal Message.  Thank you.

Please remember that Copyright prevents you from publishing images and transcribed indexes on Rootschat - or elsewhere for that matter.

Official 1911 census search tips:

http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?r=33&68

Official 1911 census blog

http://blog.1911census.co.uk/2009/01/pricing-and-future-subscription-options/

Census districts

See Topic: 1911 Census Districts

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354796.0.html

Search results - this is what you get for your credits

ORIGINAL IMAGE (30 CREDITS)

NAME
RELATIONSHIP TO HEAD
MARITAL STATUS
TOTAL CHILDREN BORN ALIVE
CHILDREN STILL LIVING (AMOUNT NOT NAMES)
CHILDREN WHO HAVE DIED (NUMBER, NOT NAMES)
OCCUPATION
INDUSTRY OR SERVICE TO WHICH WORKER IS CONNECTED
WORKER OR SELF EMPLOYED
WHETHER WORKING AT HOME
BIRTHPLACE
NATIONALITY OF PERSON BORN IN FOREIGN COUNTRY
INFIRMITY (hidden until 2012)
NUMBER OF ROOMS IN THE HOUSE
SIGNATURE OF HEAD (OR PERSON WHO FILLS IN FORM)
POSTAL ADDRESS

TRANSCRIPT (10 CREDITS)

NAME
RELATIONSHIP TO HEAD
MARITAL STATUS
YEARS MARRIED
SEX
AGE IN 1911
OCCUPATION
WHERE BORN
DETAILS OF ADDRESS

INSTITUTIONS

In the view of one Rootschatter "It's probably not worth buying the transcript (10 credits) for somebody listed as in an institution: the list only shows

NAME
RELATIONSHIP (inmate, patient or whatever)

You do not get any place of birth information but this can be seen on the "original page" for a cost of 30 credits. The Institution address may be missing from the "original page" and the name is missing from the transcript for at least one of the institutions I have stumbled across (All a bit annoying after I had effectively wasted 40 credits)."

To PRINT

Switch to the Printer Friendly version and select Landscape not Portrait layout on your printer

Topic: List of districts and places

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=353037

Optimising Searches

Paul's guide to optimising searches

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,353037.msg2310652.html#msg2310652

Searching for separate households at the same address

You need to search and download these separately.  In previous censuses they were also recorded separately but the 1911 returns the actual houshold schedule and not just the enumerator's summary, so that's why they were presented differently!

Searching for Neighbours

Clicking on Neighbours costs credits. To save wasting credits, go into "My Account", you can tick a box "Warn me before each use of credits".

To view neighbours in a free search

Alter the "SN" number of the census reference +/- one and the results wil be the next schedule number

Searching with no last name

Insert  a comma (or other punctuation mark) into the surname field - returns all records that match the other fields that you have filled in

Searching for Mac or Mc Surname

Leave a space after these and before the second part of the surname when searching e.g. Mac Millan

Search Address

Can't include a house number

Others in same household

Search for census reference for the person you need. Copy the census ref and put your person's name into the "others in household" field.  Search - results will be all the others in that household.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,352985.msg2313022.html#msg2313022

Completely lost?

Try searching on "Do" or D = ditto in the surname field! Bear in mind that transcribers should record exactly what they see - sometimes the head of household filled the form in wrongly or with wrong spelling - be creative - try reversing surname/ first name for example. Sometimes even the best transcriber will make typos - try Geroge for George and Jospeh for Joseph. Include abbreviations - initials, or Jos. or Chas. for example

To see the name of an institution

Click on view for printing

Middle names

Sometimes searching on a single name returns nothing, whereas adding a middle name produces the right person, so add the middle name if known and your initial search wasn't successful.

Wildcards

Not included at launch the wildcard * is now available for personal names, but not places

Useful Links

Original discussion topic

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,352985.0/topicseen.html

Promotional Code (10% off)

http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911access.htm

Topic: 1911 census - what do you get?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,353052.0.html

Accessing the 1911 census

http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911access.htm

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census - Rootschatters' tips for success
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AR ... that's a very good summary and I'm sure using it, we all ought to find what we seek ... fingers crossed !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Update

It is now no longer possible to search using single "punctuation marks" in the surname field.

Instead you can search without a surname - simply use a first name of census reference instead - so you can still find the whole family if you search carefully!

Quote from the official 1911 census blog

“We have released a number of new search features this morning - we hope you find them useful.

Last Name” is no longer a compulsory field - you can search using “First Name” or “Census reference” instead
Up to 5,000 search results can now be viewed
Searches with up to 1,000 results are now displayed automatically, without the “gateway” screen being shown first
You can choose to enter a Census reference number instead of an address in Place Search (see the help file next to this field for further details)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
Another update !

You can search the 1911 index on Genes Reunited for free and the place of birth is shown in the results.

http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/records/srlanding19x1.aspx?searchtype=c1911

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address Transcriptions 1911.....a tip
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
As I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

On three occasions when searching addresses around the Country each time the area starts with Saint (St) the St has been added to the name of the road or Hill etc.

Example
Tregeseal Hill, St Just, Cornwall listed as Tregeseal Hill St, Just, Cornwall.

Strange thing is that when using the Beta version I know my own home address was correct, but now I have to add ST to the end of the name of my road to find it.
They accepted a correction for my home address but not for the one above.  ???

Ambers

Moderator comment: topics merged
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I have had a similar example (which they wouldn't correct)

Locks Hill /Lock's Hill,  Frome, Somerset   only searchable as Lock S Hill or Lock South Hill.

I've found the same with other similar names.

Rosie

Moderator comment: this topic should have been locked but if you have helpful hints, please let us know and we will add them for you,  thanks.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 November 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Using the free 1911 index to determine the correct household

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Once you find a possible match - make a note of the county and district in which the person was living

Return to the index and in PERSONAL DETAILS - just put the surname of the family - nothing else

In LOCATION - Select the county and below it - type in the district

In OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HOUSEHOLD - show the full name of the person you have found on the index

Click SEARCH

You will have to buy credits to view the full entry - the above instructions will only help to possibly show others of the same name in the same household

(thanks to "CaroleW" for this tip)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 May 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
More hints on searching by address

Doing a 1911 censes search by street address for Hulme Hall Road in Cheadle Stockport, gives a negative result even though a person search by name and place gives a result with the full address shown in the result. (Look for Isherwood in Cheadle and then do the address search)

According to FindMyPast there is an anomaly with some addresses where there street name is in 3 parts. In this case Hulme Hall has been taken as the house name and Road is the address.

To solve this one requires searching where the street name is Road and the place is Cheadle will give you the results you are looking for.

I did ask whether this would be sorted out and yes it will in the fullness of time. They do tidy up things like this every now and again.

So if you're looking for a road, street or avenue which is in 3 parts and you know is there, try searching just by road, street, avenue and the place name and see if that solves it. (try the search anyway just to see how many there are, there are 1169 in a 'Road' search and 585 in a 'Street' search without a place name)

Hope this helps

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea