Author Topic: IRB/IRA Charles Vaughan 1860 onwards  (Read 3841 times)

Offline ladyflippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
IRB/IRA Charles Vaughan 1860 onwards
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am trying to research my grandfather and great grandfather both called Charles Vaughan. I know for certain that my grandfather heavily invloved with the IRA but I am more curious about the activities of my great grandfather. Is there any way I can find out what role he played in the IRB/IRA or are all the records still top secret?

Charles Vaughan (snr) born 1863 in Cork
Married Norah Burke in 1868 in Tipperary
Charles Vaughan (jnr) born 1902 in Dublin (fathers profession on birth cert was a black smith).
Married Mary Ann McTague 1927 in Dublin.

I suppose I am trying to get a link to the Easter Rising for my great grandfather and a link to the Irish Civil War for my grandfather.

I've contacted Killmainham Gaol to see if there is any record of them but I've not heard back. Is there any other avenue I can explore.

Many thanks in advance.

Jen
UK: Wilkes, Hall in Birmingham
EIRE: Vaughan, McTague in Dublin (for now)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: IRB/IRA Charles Vaughan 1860 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 13:11 GMT (UK) »
You might want to try the military archives.  The website says something about records being accessible to direct next of kin so I am not even sure I'd be able to access records if I wanted to.

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/archives/collections.htm

If you haven't already, it might be worth perusing the Irish news archives (subscription site but free to search):

http://www.irishnewsarchive.com

There may be some material at the national library too:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000141371

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline ladyflippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Skibgirl. There's a letter in the post to the Army Archives and I found a great article in the Irish Independant dated Nov 19th 1920.

It states that my grand father and great grand father were found not guilty by court martial in Marlborough Barracks of having 3 revolvers and 80 rounds of ammunition hidden in a wood pile. It goes on to give my grandfathers profession as a apprentice gardener, so why would they have a military trial?

Regards
Jen

P.S. I'm a big fan of Skibbereen and the Irish Sky Garden nearby.
UK: Wilkes, Hall in Birmingham
EIRE: Vaughan, McTague in Dublin (for now)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Glad you found something. 

It is my dream someday to visit the Cathal Brugha barracks outside Dublin and see if I can learn anything of my own Granddad's unit in the old IRA.

http://www.irishsoldiers.ie/Research/tracing.htm
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 10 08:14 GMT (UK) »
... so why would they have a military trial?

Hi Jen

large parts of Ireland was under martial law both before and after partition. Under martial law crimes against the state are tried by the military because it is deemed that the civil powers could be intimidated.

Local newspapers will tell you when it was introduced and rescinded in a particular area. The local Record Office may also know.

Ken

Offline bobsnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
hi

May I suggest you download from wikipedia the article  Executions during the Irish civil war,also try and watch the film ,The wind that shakes the barley, it was on general release last year . Both of those will show the horrors of Civil War.

bobsnr

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Would that be the 3rd West Cork Brigade/ West Cork Flying Column Skibbgirl?  Incidentally, I have family on Skibb.  The welch family.
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)