Author Topic: MOYLE  (Read 6555 times)

Offline zelonie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOYLE
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Am researching MOYLE in areas Chacewater, Penzance, Bodmin, Helston and Isles of Scilly?
Anyone out there?
Zelonie

Offline JenniferW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MOYLE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 11 03:05 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather was John Grenfell Moyle, My g grandmother Mary Elizabeth Alexandra Moyle who married John Hall in 1888,  Their first child John Grenfell Hall was my grandfather who came to Australia about 1910.  Would love to hear any information you may have re the other children of this marriage, or any photos in existence.  I have seen the Penlee House photo and read your wonderful article.  My sister and I are comtemplating a trip to Cornwall, are there many relatives still there? Warm regards from Australia

Offline zelonie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
hi Jennifer

Sorry not replied before, haven't been able to login. Would like to correspond through email about the family tree rather than Rootschat, if you are happy to do so. My email is (*)

yours sincerely

Zelonie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline JenniferW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Zelonie, couldnt view your email address  as deleted by RootsChat.  My email address is (*)      no spaces.  would love to hear from you, Jenny

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Jenny,

Make another post and you will be able to use the PM (Personal Message) system.

It keeps stuff like email addresses away from prying eyes, fraudsters, identity thieves, etc. ;D

Are you aware that any RootsChat post can be seen via a search engine, like Google?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenniferW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip.  Still looking for relatives of my Grandfather John Grenfell Hall, mother Elizabeth Alexandria Moyle, her father Dr John Grenfell Moyle from Scilly Isles

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer -- have you tried actively to trace descendants of the other children of John Hall and Mary Moyle? (Giving that info for starters would help others help to trace them.)

The 1901 census shows their full complement of children and approx birthdates -- I've used FreeBMD to get their full names and quarters of birth:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

John Grenfell, Dec 1888
Charles Hicks, Dec 1889
Ernest Granville, Dec 1896
Thomas Gerald, Mar 1899 (could have been born late 1898)

Mary's sister Jessie Moyle c1859 was also living with them in 1901. Mary was widowed by 1911, although I don't see a death record for John.

Ernest Granville Hall, born 16 October 1896, died in Chichester, West Sussex, in 1978.

Before 1970, full middle names and exact birthdates are not given in the deaths index, so it isn't easy to identify deaths for Charles and Thomas, if they died in England/Wales. The same is true for finding a marriage for Ernest.

Ah, you may know this: Charles Hicks Hall was killed in WWI:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/903502/HALL,%20CHARLES%20HICKS
"Son of Mary E. A. Hall, of 13, Redburn Avenue, Shipley, Yorks,
and the late John Hall. Native of Chacewater, Cornwall."
He was apparently unmarried, or that record would have given his wife's name.

A Thomas G Hall aged 53 died in late 1952 or early 1953 in Cardiff, Glamorganshire. ... and I have deleted the rest of the details about him, whom I first thought likely, because I have also found this (having first thought Thomas might have been too young) -- he too was killed in WWI:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1758436/HALL,%20THOMAS%20GERALD
"Son of Mary E.A. Hall, of 23, Athol Rd., Manningham, Bradford, Yorks,
and the late John Hall."

The entries at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site (links above) give info about their burial places, one in Germany and one in France.

Two of John and Mary's four children were killed in that war.

Very likely these are things you already knew, and when you say "relatives of" John Hall and his parents, you are referring to descendants of his cousins, for example, rather than of his siblings. If you are in fact looking for descendants of his brother Ernest, knowing now that his other two brothers died unmarried, you would do best to get Ernest's death certificate and see who the informant was. He may have had a new partnership, if he and his wife were estranged, and his partner or a child might have signed the certificate.

... Wait ... there was also a daughter Dorothy in the later census ...
Dorothy Vivian, Mar 1895
... and an indication that there was a 6th child.

In 1901, Dorothy was staying with her aunt Emma Grenfell Moyle in Reigate, Surrey, and has been incorrectly transcribed at Ancestry as a Moyle. There is also her sister:
Gladys Mary Hall, Mar 1891

Are you in touch with (or are you) the person who has corrected those names at Ancestry? Unfortunately, the correction was made in 2007 and the person's profile is no longer accessible.

Given Mary's address on Thomas's CWGC record, Dorothy likely married Harry Scott in Bradford, 1919. Dorothy Vivian Scott, born 30 Jan 1895, died in Gosport, Hampshire, 1973.

Emma Grenfell Moyle was a single schoolmistress aged 42. Her sister Margaretta Moyle, aged 22, was also in the household. They would be sisters of Mary Moyle Hall. In 1881, the children in the Moyle household are:

Emma G, 22
Jessie, 21
(both seem not to have married/had children)
Edwards N V, 20
Jane, 11
Rovena, 5
Margaretta, 3

Edwards Nance Vyvyan Moyle died in 1935, aged 74. Someone has added a postem to his birth entry at FreeBMD but left no name or email address. He married Eva Clarke Nance in 1887 and had several children.

Rovena Granville Moyle married George Edmonds in Devonport in early 1901, and had several children.

Jane Moyle, born 1869 -- name to common to identify marriage for sure.

I don't see a marriage for Margaretta. She seems to have died in Reigate in 1930 (the age is slightly off, at 50, but the informant may not have known her correct age).

What I would do is go to FreeBMD and put postems on the various records for all these people, giving an email address (best to have a permanent, anonymous, online account for this, like at Gmail). You can also do the same thing at Ancestry (and a free trial subscription would suffice for that). That way, anyone who searches for their records in future will be able to contact you.

You can also use FreeBMD to try to identify marriages and children of the offspring of Edwards and Rovena, at least.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
John died in Northern Victoria.

HALL John Grenfell
Father  John
Mother  Mary Eliz  MOYLE
Death Place  R CLIFFS (Red Cliffs)
Age  63
Year 1952