Author Topic: Kennedy and Stapleton, The Mill, Cloughjordan  (Read 17076 times)

Offline Clough52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy and Stapleton, The Mill, Cloughjordan
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
I was born and raised at The Mill, Cloughjordan. The townland is Mullinkeagh. Muillean is Irish for mill. It was not really a mill but was in fact the largest distillery for whiskey in Ireland in the mid 1800s.
My family is the one from above

John Kennedy; Mullinkeach
18/1/1944
wife; Ellen; 21/7/1952
grand-son; James; 24/4/1998 (38)
Their son; Martin; 25/2/2008 (84)

my father was Martin and brother James, deceased.
The mill complex, now in ruins, covered in ivy, was owned by Ned Kennedy nicknamed Rouser Kennedy and his business went bankrupt around that time. we never established if we are related to Rouser, probably not. There were also Kennedys living accross the road, Donal Kennedy.
Dont know if this is any help

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike and Clough2. thankyou for your input.

Mike, are you a descendant of William or Francis and Mary? Do you have any further information on the Stapletons in Tip?

Clough2, are you descended from Jack and Mary Kennedy (c1840s) who children were Pat, John, Tim and Mariah?  I was told that Jacks brother married somene called Helen and they looked after the Mill when the other brothers left for the USA. This could have been around the 1900s?

thanks

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 July 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, I think I may have worked it out with all your help (but happy to be corrected!).

Patrick Kennedy married Mary Leamy (?) and their children were Mariah (who married William Stapleton in 1898 and moved to Dublin by 1901), and John who married Ellen and continued to work at the Mill. His children were as Clough2 indicates. (we have a common ancestor).

Jack Kennedy married Mary Mahar (?) and their children were Patrick, Tim and Maria.

I think Jack and Patrick may have been brothers.

They were all great Hurlers by all accounts and this may account for how the families knew each other and married into each others family. My auntie recalls Tim and Patrick moving to America and returning to Croke Park representing a New York team. (no dates) at which Mary Stapleton was a guest of honour.

I was too busy trying to locate all the names into one family and they were in fact cousins, who lived next to each other at one point.

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.

Offline Clough52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry about delay in responding to this thread. Just got back on track agin. I cannot be sure if I'm connected to Jack and Mary Kennedy. I know my grandfather was John Kennedy who lived at Mullinkeagh (known as the Mill). Also I know that the Kennedys raised Paddy Leamy there. I remember meeting Paddy after he returned to Ireland from New York where he worked. Census 1911 shows him as a child in the Kennedy household at Mullinkeagh.
Seems there could be a connection to Jack and Mary as suggested.

Offline m-kennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 03:49 GMT (UK) »
My father was John Kennedy, son of John & Ellen. He and his brother Pat were known for their hurling. My father, his brother Pat and brother Jim went to England during the war. They rebuilt and repaired homes that had been bombed. In 1949 my father and Pat decided to go to the US and Jim (James) went to Africa. My father met my mother, Mary Burns (from Cloughjordan) in NY and they married in 1951. He continued hurling for the US team. In 1952 they went to Ireland for the All Ireland. Both my father, his cousin, Paddy Leamy played. A number of the team members were from Tipperary.

Offline Clough52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 December 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about delay in responding, I lost my password. Yes Maureen, it's cousin John Kennedy here. I'm afraid I have not got very far with the research for great grandparents with such a common name as Kennedy in Tipperary and particularly where Kennedy married a Kennedy. I'm having even less luck with my mothers side where a Ryan married a Ryan, again terribly common in North Tipperary.

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 December 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
How lovely to hear from you both - apologies as I've been absent from the forum for some time but able to take advantage of xmas break to revisit.

I think we may be cousins.

Maureen, your grandfathers sister, Mariah married Francis Stapleton (also a hurler I believe). They moved to Dublin and their children were Vincent, Francis, Mary Beth and Patrick. Mary Beth married Denis Byrne (died in 1940) who was in the ICA during Easter week 1916 (St.Stephens Green and Jacobs). There is a family story of Mary being reunited with her cousins John and Pat who played for a New York/American team against an All Ireland Team at Croke park. Despite many questions to the GAA no information on this game has been forthcoming so it is fantastic to see your account and the linked history that confirms the event and clarifies the names. There is an amazing photo in LIFE magazine of the new York team playing an Irish Team in the 1950s I think, that I'll try and dig out and forward to you

It would be wonderful to hear of any other information about the Tipperary heritage if you were able to forward it?

The children from the Byrne family moved to England apart from Norah Byrne who married Jimmy Llewellyn and the family still live in Dublin as do the Stapletons.

Very best wishes and please do keep in touch

Denis

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 January 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hurling: New York v Cork in 1952:

Hello Clough52 and M Kennedy - here are some great pictures of your father/grandfather John Kennedy in the previously mentioned Hurling game between a New York representative team and County Cork. Not sure if this link will work but if you google LIFE magazine archives, the article and images are in the 22nd November 1954 edition, pages 85-90.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S1IEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA85&dq=hurling&hl=en&sa=X&ei=X22pVKaCDsbO7gblqIGIDw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=hurling&f=false

Offline Bridget LaDuca

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 August 15 04:26 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother, Grett Leamy was from The Mill. Her youngest brother was Paddy Leamy. I think all of the Leamy children were separated after their mother's death when they were little. My grandmother came to the States and was sponsored by the Kennedy's. There are still Kennedy's in Syracuse, NY.  Grett married William Abbey. Are you a relative of mine?