Author Topic: Wrights Lane School / Temple Meadow School, Oldhill  (Read 5811 times)

Offline tango412

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wrights Lane School / Temple Meadow School, Oldhill
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching our local school, now called Temple Meadow, previously called Wrights Lane school. I have two original bound hand written log books from the school dating from the opening in 1900 until 1948 that detaileveryday occurrences, reports, admissions etc.  I'm trying to find any pictures, school reports or any information I can get on the school. I'd especially like some information on the head teachers. Annie L Shuck was the first head mistress until 1908, succeeded by Edith Hannah Gill. I'm keen to find any surviving documentation anyone is willing to share, school reports, photos etc.

Thanks all.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wrights Lane School / Temple Meadow School, Oldhill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tango, I have a letter from E.H. Hill to my Grandmother, who had worked at Wrights Lane, it's a reference/thankyou letter thanking my Nan and wishing her well etc etc.  The letter is headed with 21 Rowley Road Dudley, dated 20.10.1922.

Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Just found another letter to my Nan, signed Edith H. Gill, this one is more of a formal reference.  The address is - Infants Dept. Wrights Lane School, Old Hill Staffs.  My Nan who was Edith Haynes nee Worton, also worked at Old Hill Infants, and Cradley Heath Girls School, think that was Lomey Town?? 

Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline tango412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Linell,

Thanks very much for that, I'll check the log books for your nans name and let you know, if I find her name listed I can scan the page and let you have it, I have the original books from 1900. Edith was living at that address so she wrote that reference from her own home. As I said I said I've been collecting history from our school and anything is greatly received. On that note if you have any photos or anything your Nan may have reference from the school I would be very greatful.

Regards
Kevin

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin, many thanks for offering to look up any available information on my Nan.  I believe that her Cousin Miss Florrie Jenkins, from Barrs Road also taught there.  Don't think I have any photographs, but will see if I can find anything else amongst her old papers.  Will PM you my email address and scan the letters from Edith Gill.  Best Wishes from Linell.

Offline harford1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
I've been researching our local school, now called Temple Meadow, previously called Wrights Lane school. I have two original bound hand written log books from the school dating from the opening in 1900 until 1948 that detaileveryday occurrences, reports, admissions etc.  I'm trying to find any pictures, school reports or any information I can get on the school. I'd especially like some information on the head teachers. Annie L Shuck was the first head mistress until 1908, succeeded by Edith Hannah Gill. I'm keen to find any surviving documentation anyone is willing to share, school reports, photos etc.

Thanks all.

Hi TANGO412. l am researching my great uncle Edward Harris of station road old hill.He was born in 1898
and wondered if he went to wrights lane school.Could you check your records please. Edward was killed in1918 in ww1.regards

Offline harford1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tango412.l am researching my great uncle Edward Harris who lived at 91 Station road old hill.He was born in 1898 and wondered if he went to Wrights lane School. Could you please check your books . Edward was killed in ww1 in oct 1918.thanks john