Author Topic: Nellie May Fracknell  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nellie May Fracknell
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out what happened to little Nellie May Fracknell?

She was born in 1884 in Thetford, Norfolk, her parents being William Thomas Fracknell and Mary Ann Elizabeth (nee Markham). Her parents were from Boston, Lincolnshire, and in 1885 her mother died in Boston. In 1890 at Thetford, Nellie’s father William married to a widow Jane Warby (nee Goddard). Nellie had two older sisters both who died before she was born: Ada May (b. 1875, Boston; d. 1882, Thetford), and Nellie (1877-1877, Boston).

In the 1891-1911 censuses, Nellie’s father and stepmother Jane are living in Thetford with no other family members present.

In the 1891 census, Nellie is in the Boston workhouse – note that her birthplace is wrong.
1891 census: Boston Union Workhouse, Boston, Lincolnshire (Ref: RG12/2575, Folio 140, Page 4)
Nellie Fracknell, Inmate, 6, b. Lincoln Boston

After this I completely lose track of Nellie. I was wondering if she died before the 1901 census (but could find no death), or was maybe adopted? Either way I can’t find anything on her. I'm putting this on the Lincolnshire board because it seems like she didn't stay in Norfolk with her father.

Any help is much appreciated.

Alexander

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie May Fracknell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:42 GMT (UK) »
1901 has a Nellie  Franknel b 1883 Boston Lincs working as a servant

RG13 Piece 3041 Folio 53 Page 3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole, that could very well be her. Fracknell appears under all sorts of spellings - Franknel is one I had not tried!

It doesn't explain where she went after that though, since I can't find any death or marriage record for her. Starting to wonder if she left the country...

Thanks!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
The only possibility I found was a marriage for a Nellie Franklin in 1908 but it's very tenuous as there is a 15yr old Nellie Franklin in Lincs on the 1901
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
This is a really long shot, but I'm wondering whether Nellie could be this death:

Deaths Jun qtr. 1906
Fracknell, Martha F., 23, Nottingham, vol. 7b: 127

The spelling of Fracknell is rare - a small branch off my Frecknall family. By the early 1900s the only people alive who used the spelling Fracknell/Fracknall intentionally were Nellie's parents (her Fracknell uncle and all his family had died). The age is about spot on.

This Martha appears out of nowhere - there is no Martha F. Fracknells born, or married to that I can find.

However Nellie did not have any connection to Nottingham as far as I know. A bit of a mystery. I suppose only the death certificate could tell me whether this might be Nellie.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 November 10 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's her but at the same time - I agree that there is no birth or marriage to match that entry.  Looking at the GRO index entry - I think she was Martha E

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 November 10 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying its an E not F. I obviously didn't check the original image. I also think it's unlikely to be Nellie, though I'm intrigued as to who it might be.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 November 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Because she was so young - I wondered if it was a childbirth related death but there is no corresponding birth for that surname in Notts

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 June 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
This is still unsolved, and when I was browsing some old newspapers today I came across this article. It relates to the death of Martha Ellen Fracknell who died in 1906.

Nottingham Evening Post, 22 May 1906:
DROWNED IN THE TRENT.
NOTTM. SERVANT'S TRAGIC FATE.
A MYSTERIOUS CASE.
   An inquiry was conducted by the City Coroner at the Leen-side Mortuary yesterday, in reference to the death of Martha Ellen Fracknell, aged 23 years, domestic servant, lately of 6, Arthur-street, whose body was found in the Trent on Saturday.
   Annie Gilbert, of 6, Arthur-street, the Forest, said deceased had been in her service for over two years. Witness had never been aware that her name was Martha. She was an orphan, and was brought up by an uncle and aunt. She had been given witness trouble owing to her staying out late at night. She was expected in at nine o'clock, and on March 31st stayed out till eleven, and was given a month's notice. She begged to be forgiven, making promises, and the notice was withdrawn. On May 2nd she remained out all night, without permission, returning at half-past six the next morning. She stated that she had been with two young women to the theatre, and then, feeling unwell, had stayed with them all night, but whether this was correct or not witness could not say, as deceased was not veracious. She was given notice to leave again on May 3rd, went out on Sunday evening, May 6th, as usual, and never returned. Deceased left all her belongings, but witness did not think that there was any information to be gained from them. Deceased had stated that she had friends at Bulwell, but never mentioned who they were. She was cheerful, as usual, on the Sunday morning, and went out in the evening, just as if she intended returning. Witness did not consider her of such a temperament that she would commit suicide because of having received notice.
   Martha Cotton, domestic servant, of 5, Burns-street, had known deceased about a year, but had only been out with her once or twice. She saw her a fortnight last Sunday, when deceased told her she was expecting to meet a young lady. At first she could not find her; then said she thought she could see her in Waverley-street, and walked up the street. Watching her, witness saw a young man standing at the corner of Arboretum-street, with whom deceased went away. When speaking to witness and looking up the street, the girl had a wild look in her eyes, which witness had never noticed before.
   Police-sergeant Brackner, of the county police, received information on Saturday, and putting out in a boat found the body of deceased lying in shallow water on the city side of the Trent, near Clifton Colliery. The body was fully clothed, but the hat was missing. He had not heard of a hat being found.
   P.c. Parker, of the city police, removed the body, and, searching it, found nothing to lead to identification. There was not a single thing in the pockets.
   P.c. Smith, Deputy-Coroner's officer, having examined all deceased's correspondence and papers, found nothing to show who the writers were. There was one unsigned letter in a man's handwriting, telling the recipient not to communicate with him, and ending "yours, lovingly."
   The Coroner described it as a strange case, calling attention to the fact that the body was entirely destitute of any articles, and saying that there did not appear to be any possibility of tracing the identity of deceased's companions.
   Although no witness had said that deceased's full name was Martha Ellen Fracknell, the Coroner's officer now stated that he had found a life policy, in which the name was given as such, this policy having been taken out at Boston in 1902.
   The Coroner thought the jury would accept that to be deceased's full name.
   The jury recorded an open verdict.

I also know from Boston Workhouse minutes, 25 Jul 1896, that Nellie Fracknall was to be put on trial for adoption to a Mr Bates.

I really think this Martha Ellen Fracknell might have been Nellie.

Alexander