Author Topic: Birth certificates not found  (Read 10323 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificates not found
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello michelleh144,
     Thanks to the link posted by Forfarian re: Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) and information posted by Chris Walker I found the following. (Very sad reading I'm afraid)

WALKER, JOHN. Bosn (Boatswain) and Lamps. SS "Normandiet" (London)
     As a result of an attack by an enemy submarine. 21st April, 1918. Age 44.
     Son of the late Andrew Graham Walker and Jane Walker; husband of Ellen Walker (nee Wright),
     of 9 Lumsden St., Glasgow.  Born at Belfast.
Also, on the same page:
     WALKER, ANDREW. Slr (Sailor) SS "Normandiet" (London)
     As a result of an attack by an enemy submarine. 21st April, 1918. Age 18.
     Son of Ellen Walker (nee Wright) of 9 Lumsden St., Glasgow, and the late John Walker.
     Born at Islandmagee, Co. Antrim.

Very faintly, under John Walker's listing in the Register is written what looks like:
     Now commemorated at Cobh old Church Cemetery, Co. Cork, Ireland.
     (There is a Cobh Old Church Graveyard in Cork)

Both names are included on the Tower Hill Memorial in London.

End of the month and had a few spare credits on Scotlandspeople (unusual) so, now knowing John's age, had a look for the family on 1911 Scotland Census. Luckily, only one match for a John Walker, age 36-38 with second person Ellen living in Glasgow City came up. I think it's the same family. I can't post details on RootsChat (Copyright) but I could Private Message them to you.

Hope this is your family.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Chris Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Glad I could be of help.
Dad (Samuel) served for the NZ Forces as a Gunner (Number 1972). He died in January 1970 of cancer. We are not sure what happened to Ted (Edward) - claims are he married a NZ Maori lady and moved 'up north'.
Meanwhile Sam married 3 times - Vivienne (2 daughters produced - Marion Ellen and Jennifer), Maureen (my mum - son John, me, twins Anne and Andrew), Elizabeth (no children). Sam was a bit of a lad and also produced a daughter by my mothers sister (Thelma) before John was conceived.
Dad visited his Mum (Ellen, by then Jackson) during the war and Ellen wrote to the NZ Defence Forces after the visit hoping to get some sort of pension / funding.
From a copy of the letter she wrote re the above, Ellen also claims to have had a daughter who 'signed up and went to Manchester'. Ellen lived at 13 Watt Street, Greenock at the time she wrote.
I have been over to Scotland to try and trace rellies (no luck) and to see the known places Dad was. Any contact from relatives would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Chris Walker

Offline IainHodgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 May 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
My name is Iain Hodgen.
I am trying to trace my mums family (Violet Jackson), all iv'e got to go on is my Brother and sister were born at 13 Watt St Greenock (1945/47).
I do know her brother emigrated to NZ and married a Maori , don't know his name.
She did have sisters called Mary and Renee.
I was looking at you post and there are similarities,
Cheers,
Iain

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 May 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate which will give her parents names

1940   HODGEN   GEORGE   and JACKSON   VIOLET at   GREENOCK WEST   RENFREW

Offline Chris Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 May 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,
The brother who 'went to New Zealand and married a Maori' would be my Dad's (Samuel Walker) brother Edward (known as Ted). Both boys came to New Zealand under the NZ Sheepowners Acknowledgement of Debt to British Seamen Scheme (known as the 'Flockhouse Scheme) - open to sons (and later daughters) of those in the Merchant Navy who lost their lives in WW1, as the merchant navy looked after the wool interest of NZ's farmers during the war. Am keen to know more - I don't know much about any of Dad's family except names of his Mum, Dad and brothers (Andrew, killed with his father and Ted's name). I have brothers John and Andrew - strong family names I gather. Love to hear from you.
Cheers
Chris

Offline IainHodgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 May 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I think we on the same person here, My mother Violet Jackson married my dad George Hodgen who was from Prestwich Manchester. I have a vague recollection of my Grandmother and do have photographs of her.
As a coincidence my sister was call Vivienne and was born at 13 Watt St and the name Ellen definitely rings a bell.
I do have contacts with the family up there, but its been a while.
Mums sister Mary lived and died in Inverkeithing and the rest of her family live in Dunfermline.
I have ordered the marriage cert and have copies of my brother and sisters birth certificates.
They married on the 19/12/1940,
Cheers,
Iain

Offline IainHodgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 May 16 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Another thing I remember is that mum also had a brother (cant remember the name) who was in a Japanese prisoner of was camp and died from complications this used to upset her greatly on remembrance day.

Offline IainHodgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 May 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Edward James Douglas Walker, born 4 May 1911 in Glasgow, Scotland, and his brother Samuel Walker born 28 June 1913, Glasgow, Scotland.   I have had no luck finding their birth certificates on Scotlands People.   Their parents are (we believe) Ellen Wright and John Walker, however no marriage certificate has been found for this also.  We are wondering if the boys are illegitimate, but surely there would be proof of their birth somewhere.  Both parents were born in Ireland.  Ellen went on later to marry a Mr Jackson in Glasgow (found a marriage cert for a Ellen Walker marrying a Thomas Jackson in 1919 on Scotlands people so that could fit, but still need to know about the 2 boys and their dad John.
Please help!  I'm stuck.......

Hi,
I think you are talking about my uncle (Edward), my mother Violet Hodgen nee Jackson was his sister and used to talk about him a lot. I only have an approximate DOB for her sometime in 1921, I can find no record of her anywhere as seems to be a problem with the part of the family. My brother and sister were born at 13 Watts St 1945/1947.
Any info on trying to trace Edwards family would be great,
cheers,
Iain

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 May 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Could this be the marriage

1912   WALKER   JAMES and    WRIGHT   ELLEN at   KILBIRNIE   AYR