Author Topic: M. HARRISON OF LEEDS, BUILDRES  (Read 10746 times)

Offline leahcim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
M. HARRISON OF LEEDS, BUILDRES
« on: Monday 01 November 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to write a bit of a story about my fathers life when he worked in Leeds during 1930 and 1940. He worked  as a foreman for a Leeds firm of building contractors etc. called M. Harrison who employed quite a lot of Irish workers including my father.

Could any one tell me if this firm still exists and if there is any history available about this company

Thanks for any help

Michael McDonnell

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: M. HARRISON OF LEEDS, BUILDRES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

They appear to still exist in Rothwell, West Yorkshire,
http://www.propertysell.co.uk/adverts/rothwell/West-Yorkshire/Builders.html

M Harrison Builders

* 94 Barnsley Road
    * Huddersfield
    * HD8 8NN
    * 01484 606410

But the history of the company appears to be harder to track down you might be able to contact them and ask whether they could supply such information.

Cheers

Akira

Offline lynnefibreart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
My father worked for a Mary Harrison, builders in Leeds, in the sixties and seventies.  I haven't been able to find anything about them.

I wonder if you had found anything since your earlier posting

thanks
Lynne

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Mary Harrisons was at the top of post hill in Bramley/Farnley
This was a timber merchants/builders, and quarry

They knocked down to make way for the new housing estate from Wicks where pudsey beck is, to top of wood lane. if you look on google earth it was where sandstone rd and greenmoor ave are now.

you can see a picture of the area here: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002528_36353701

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002528_729006

there is also this comment on secretLeeds thread page 8 http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=764&StartAtMessage=175&HighLight=1

if you also goto the http://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/TwinMaps.aspx?township=RD_RT83

and select Farnley Leeds and on the right hand side map, move so you can see post hill and then click 1999 on the small tab, it will revert to then, and it shows you the area just before the new housing estate

Regards Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline lynnefibreart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for all the information it will really help with my searches.
I have only just started doing family history so all help is gratefully recieved.

I grew up in Old Farnley, and thought that my father worked for Mary Harrisons, but he built petrol stations, so I am not sure now if my memory is serving me right.
It doesn't sound as if the M.Harrison in Farnley is the same if they were timber merchants.

The Tracks in Time and the Secret Leeds websites are going to be very helpful, as my mothers family came from Leeds (father Henry Horne, worked for the Midland Railway abt 1900)

So, thank you for your help
Lynne

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 February 11 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to family history then Lynne,

I also grew up around pudsey road, area and went to Farnley High,

here is another good website that focuses on Leeds, http://www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk

any help just ask away and good luck

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline irisheagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
HI, DONT KNO WHAT YEAR YOU POSTED THIS BUT I AM RELATED TO MARY HARRISON AND CO. LEEDS.
FOUNDED BY JOHN HARRISON FROM CO.MAYO HE WAS A SUCCESSFUL BUILDER AND HIS SON JAMES TOOK OVER AND WAS EVEN MORE SUCCESSFUL.....NOW JUST INVOLVED IN PROPERTY AND INVESTMENT.
EMPLOYED A LOT OF MAYO EMIGRANTS OVER THE YEARS. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A DIRECTOR OF THE COMPANY BACK IN THE 50S-60S.
JOHN WAS A FINE RIFLEMAN AND HELD MANY NATIONAL TITLES AND RECORDS IN THE EARLY 1900'S.
THE COMPANY WAS INVOLVED IN THE NORMANDY LANDINGS BUILDING THE' MULBURY DOCKS'. JIMMY WAS OFFERED A KNIGHTHOOD BUT DECLINED.
HOPE THIS HELPS

Offline miroam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 12 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello irisheagle

Thanks for your information re M. Harrison. I was interested in trying to find out some of the background about this company as my late father John McDonnell came from Newport in County Mayo in the early 1900's and worked for Harrisons for many years on some of the large projects in Leeds. Including, I think the Civic hall. I just wonder if there was any history book written about Harrisons as I would be very interested in reading about what they did when they were such an important builders in Leeds. I can remember as a very small boy one of Harrisons trucks picking up my father to go to work I think in the 1930's and 1940's. If you are aware of such an history I would be very greatfull to hear from you

Kind regards

Michael McDonnell Adelaide Australia

Offline ArthurFirth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hey, I was a site engineer with Mary Harrison's circa late 60's I ran into Jimmy Harrison many times. He wore his shooting suit, plus fours and was quite the character.  Started on the Olympic Pool in Leeds, general hospital, little sisters of the poor.  Amazing days!

Arthur