Author Topic: 1811 to 1833 where did he serve  (Read 2301 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
1811 to 1833 where did he serve
« on: Monday 01 November 10 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to a lady on here I have the Militery records of Thomas Hamlin b 1797 Liverpool, they are on Find my Past. I found them also at my local museum and printed them off, but they are very small images and I can`t fully make out some of the words. Some are placenames, but I can`t seem to find where they are.
He suffered from Visceral disease, and Splemitis ??? and had  great irregularity in the function of the  bowels.
He served in the -
36th foot 1811/1815 underage.
" " 1815/1816
65th " 1816 / 1822
20th " 1822 / 1833

He was in the East Indies over 18 years.
Names on his Discharge are Major Fraser, Captain Maclean, Captain W H Campell

Place names are Benboo-Ali.? in 1820 in the Persian Gulph. Deceder war ? Raphsul Khy?
At the time of his discharge in 1833 he was in the Kings Troops depot, Colobah. ?
If anyone has access to FindMyPast and can take a look at these records it would be a great help.
It would be interesting to find out more about where he served and in what conflicts.

Thanks
Annette
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 1811 to 1833 where did he serve
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
beni boo ali,,,,a fierce tribe from the gulf state of Oman

Ras al khyma,,,,  a hill fort captured by the 65th regiment
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
In 1809 the Regiment sailed with an expedition to punish the ARAB pirates whose stronghold was RAS-AL-KHAIMAH on the Pirate Coast of the PERSIAN GULF and later helped to capture the island of MAURITIUS from the French.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Ras al Khaimah (رأس الخيمة‎‎) is one of the seven Emirates that now make up the United Arab Emirates. The Emirate is usually just known as "Rak" and in Arabic the name means 'top of the tent'.  There's an article about the 1809 attack here
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/raks-sacking-still-reverberates

In 1809 the Regiment sailed with an expedition to punish the ARAB pirates whose stronghold was RAS-AL-KHAIMAH on the Pirate Coast of the PERSIAN GULF and later helped to capture the island of MAURITIUS from the French.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps:

36th Foot   7 July 1811 to 2 November 1816
65th Foot 3 November 1816 to 24 June 1822 during which he was promoted to Corporal but later demoted
20th Foot 25 June 1822 to 31 October 1833 during which he was promoted to Corporal, demoted, promoted to Corporal and then Sergeant then reduced to Private and imprisoned for a month in 1827
From 7 July 1915 until 31 October 1833 he served in the East Indies (the term then included what we now call the Middle East and India)
Returned to UK on 10 May 1834, discharged on 8 July 1834.

The complicated looking calculation of length of service is related to pension.  His 18th birthday from which it was calculated seems to have been 6 July, having joined on 7 July 1811 at 14, the first four years of service were “under age” and thus deducted from the total (plus another 30 days for the time he spent in prison).  There was also an addition of half the time he spent in the East Indies.  So he was in uniform for 23 plus years for which he would receive a pension of 28 plus years.

You should be able to connect the dates with Wikipedia entries for each regiment (search as example 36th Regiment of Foot etc) to give an overview.  The first part of the narrative of his time in the 65th Foot says he took part in the Deccan War (this would have been the Third Anglo-Maratha War in the time he was there). The other campaigns in the Persian Gulf have been identified.
He was invalided out having spent much time in hospital with what may have been a form of cancer.  The discharge board took place in Belgaum India in 1833 although the final discharge was at Chatham in 1834.  At the time of the Board he was at the King’s Troops (not the King’s Troop singular of today!) depot at Colobah, an army station in India.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks very much, maxD, is this from the records on FindMyPast ?

Carolynn, thanks . this is interesting.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, all taken (and translated from army speak where necessary) from the record on FindMyPast.  The record was made for his discharge and the detail on it has been copied (as you may be able to tell by most entries made by the same hand all at the same time) across from various parts of his service record which no longer exists.  Unfortunately, these would have told us perhaps why he was demoted a couple of times and why he was imprisoned.  Finding exactly where each of the regiments were stationed during the time he served with them is not impossible but quite long-winded!

If any of it doesn't make sense, ask away.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
  I just found this on Anc, but takes me to a site - Fold 3 which sadly  isn`t free.
It does look like the same man, but this is one day after discharged on 8 July 1834.
Is this relevant.
I have him in 1841 Liverpool aged 40 and he is a labourer,
1851 he is 53 and H M Pensioner Army.
1861 Labourer and pensioner.
I wonder if he was getting a pension in 1841 as well.

Thomas Hamlin Pension Admission or Examination Age:36 Birth Year :abt 1798
Birth Place: St. Nicholas, Liverpool
Pension Admission or Examination Date:9 Jul 1834
Regiment:20th Foot Sir Wm Houstown   ( Houston ?)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry
UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Regimental Registers of Pensioners Who Served in Canada, 1713-1882

Just found him again here. 9 July 1834,  and when he died in 1862.
No other details as to when he was discharged.

Can you shed any light of his time in Canada.