Author Topic: Kendal - Henry DOWTHWAITE b. 1809  (Read 6370 times)

Offline imd6662

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal - Henry DOWTHWAITE b. 1809
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:25 GMT (UK) »
No, he's definitely Henry Dowthwaite,b 1809. Was simply hoping that someone with access to original records could confirm any other details in the entry.
Douthwaite (Liverpool, Westmorland)
Kenworthy (Saddleworth)

Offline imd6662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Radcliff for you efforts on this, especially the nugget about Jane Taylor.

If you ruin across anything else about Henry's birth then I'd very appreciative.

Thanks again
Kenworthy (Saddleworth)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Of course I will ,I have a few relatives in Kendal still so if I am up there and you know which church your family used, I would be able to go to the archives and have a quick look at the records there,
Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline imd6662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Gillian.

We spent five days in Ambleside back in early July which gave me chance to get some familiarity with the area - especially driving back and forth to Kendal, passing Staveley, as well as drive up both Kentmere and Longsleddale. But not enough time to visit the archives.

I think part of the trouble in tracking these folks down is that (a) the IGI coverage of the outlying parishes of Kendal is patchy and (b) the transcription of records of the outlying chapels into the Kendal registers is confusing and incomplete.

It looks like the family are likely to have patronised the Staveley chapel/church since there is a small batch of entries in IGI, transcribed from Staveley by an LDS member, which includes the marriages of the children of the older Henry Dowthwaite and his wife Ann Hutchinson, and also a batch of baptisms for the children of Henry and his second wife, Jane, which appear to be extracted from a combination of parish registers and bishops transcripts for Staveley, but only covering about 1813 to 1857.

The chapel at Kentmere is another possibility, and the IGI again has recordsw from about 1813 which include some of the grand-children of Henry and second wife Jane.

Before 1813 I gather that all the chapel entries were annualy transcribed to the main Kendal registers and therefore ought to appear under Kendal. But hnery doesn;t. Therefore seems most likely he might be buried in the pre-1813 Staveley register.

The other children of Henry Dowthwate and Ann Hutchinson Do appear in the Kendal enrties ON IGI. but the younger Hnery does not.
Kenworthy (Saddleworth)

Offline rlemakos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Douthwaite b. 1822 who is my 3rd great grandfather.  his wedding information lists Henry Douthwaite as his father.  marriage took place in Kendal on 24 Dec 1848.  Could the Henry born in 1809 be Thomas' father? 

I don't have any information on siblings of Thomas - he married Mary Anne Greenwood and had a son Richard who is my 2nd great grandfather.

Would you have any further information on Henry or Thomas or where I may search.

thank you.

Offline imd6662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 May 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Possibly Henry's half-brother. Have sent you a PM.
Kenworthy (Saddleworth)