Author Topic: Sarah Pontifex (c1690-1718) & John Devonshire (c1690-1716)  (Read 4738 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Pontifex (c1690-1718) & John Devonshire (c1690-1716)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
On the 51 Census Charles' wife is a Priscilla - a 2nd marriage?

Yes, looks like Ann Bowler (née Newell) died, although I can't seem to find any record of a burial.
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, looks like Ann Bowler (née Newell) died, although I can't seem to find any record of a burial.

I ordered the parish records from Bucks FGS. Ann Newell did die, and was buried on 18 April 1831, after which Charles married Priscilla Cato.

Looking at everything else, I can't seem to link this Charles to the one baptised in Farnham Royal. So, even if they are the same person, it doesn't look like I'm ever going to be able to prove it; I may have to accept that this is as far as I can go with the Bowler line. (And that any possible link with the Pontifexes will remain unprovable).
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
I read somewhere else on Rootschat that the Charles Bowler who was the son of George Bowler and Clara Devonshire married Maria Jemina Gristwood. This answers my question - this Charles is not my ancestor, nor is Clara Devonshire, so I'll mark this topic as completed.