Author Topic: BOWDEN  (Read 8801 times)

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BOWDEN
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all,

I've come over here from the Australian branch of the site and also am a little confused as my family seems to spread over 2 counties, so if I re-tread over information or am posting on the wrong board, I'm sorry.

I am looking for the family of Samuel S Bowden. The information I have so far about his life is:

He was born around 1829 in Bridgewater, Somerset (from 1851 Census), but is listed as being a resident of Alverstoke, Hampshire.

His parents were John and Elizabeth Bowden and from their ages on the 1841 Census I approximate that John was born 1792 (listed as 49) in Frome and Elizabeth in 1803 (38), but I dont't know where.
In 1841, also listed on the census record:
Elizabeth Bowden, 19
John Day Bowden, 16
Samuel S Bowden, 12 ----> my relative
Richard Bowden, 10
Alfred Bowden, 9
Harry Bowden, 4
John's occupation in 1841 was listed as Navy HP.

By the 1851 Census however I seem to have lost half the family.. I can only find John, now 59 as a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, Samuel S, 22 a midshipman in the Royal Navy and Albert A, 9. Obviously the youngest son born after the previous census.

I think in the census record it has Widower next to John's name, but then where would I look for a record of Elizabeth's death? and what happened to the rest of the family?

(also it has a U next to Samuel, what does that mean?)

I thank everyone for their help in advance and appogise if any of this doesn't make sense!

Ash

Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
1841 census is different to other census
1841 does not list relationships
ages of adults over 15 years are rounded down to the nearest 5 years
the only information on p.o.b. is yes or no given in answer to "born in the county they are living in?"
or F if foreign parts , I for Ireland
as the 1841 census for the Bowdens shows them living in Hampshire , and answer is "no" to "Born in county?" all it really tells us is that none of them were b Hampshire

You can look for Elizabeth's death reg on freeBMD.org.uk

U=unmarried

will see if I can find any of them

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Elizabeth's death reg - ages are not given at that time
Death reg freeBMD
Elizabeth Bowden
Dec qtr 1847
Alverstoke registration district
7 20

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 03:49 GMT (UK) »
this looks like daughter Elizabeth

Marriage reg FreeBMD
Dec qtr 1847
Alverstoke district
4  males 4 females on same page
two of them are
Elizabeth Bowden
Benjamin Hobbs
7 20
maybe Benjamin had been married before?)
Windmill Row Gosport hampshire (Alverstoke reg district)
Benjamin Hobbs head M 37 brewer Gosport Hants
Elizabeth Bowden wife 29 Bristol Somerset
Benjamin son 11 Gosport
Frederick son 7mths Gosport
MaryCalvile? servant U 24 house servant Hampshire
Caroline Jenes? servant 20 Ireland
HO107 1660 428 29

son Frederick didn't live very long

Birth reg freeBMD
Frederick Charles Hobbs
Dec qtr 1850
Alverstoke
7 23

death reg
FrederickCharles Hobbs
Sept qtr 1851
Alverstoke
7 22

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Tron House Alverstoke Hants
Benjamin Hobbs head m Brewer master emp 3 males Alverstoke hants
Elizabeth wife 39 Chew Stoke Somerset
Catherine daughter 9
Lucy daughter 7
Alice G daughter 6
Eliza M daughter 3
Margaret A daughter 1
Mary A Colwell servant U 33 House servant Hambledon Hants
Naomi E Southon servant 15 Nursemaid Gosport
Caroline White visitor U 36 Governess
Children all b Gosport
RG9 645 42 13

Richmond House Stoke Rd Alverstoke hants
Benjamin Hobbs head M 54 retired brewer Alverstoke hants
Elizabeth wife 47 Bristol Somerset
Catherine A dauughter 19 Gosport
Lucy S? daughter 17 Gosport
Eliza M daughter 13 Alverstoke
Margaret A daughter 11 Alverstoke
Francis W son 8 Isle of Wight Hants
Bessie may servant 16 general servant Cornwall
RG10 1149 43 14

Suz

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suze,

Thanks so much for all of that!!

with regard to this:
this looks like daughter Elizabeth

Marriage reg FreeBMD
Dec qtr 1847
Alverstoke district
4  males 4 females on same page
two of them are
Elizabeth Bowden
Benjamin Hobbs
7 20
maybe Benjamin had been married before?)
Windmill Row Gosport hampshire (Alverstoke reg district)
Benjamin Hobbs head M 37 brewer Gosport Hants
Elizabeth Bowden wife 29 Bristol Somerset
Benjamin son 11 GosportFrederick son 7mths Gosport
MaryCalvile? servant U 24 house servant Hampshire
Caroline Jenes? servant 20 Ireland
HO107 1660 428 29

so do you think he was a son from a previous marriage?
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
It seems Benjamin may have been married before and son Benjamin from previous amrriage
Windmill Row Gosport hants
Benjamin Hobbs 25 Brewer
Mary 20
Benjamin 1
Rebecca West 15 F.S.
Elizabeth Gillmore 15 F.S.

all b in Hampshire

Suz

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 November 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ash

The following may be of interest, although it does not take you a great deal further forward in your search for members of the Bowden family.

I checked the 1841 and 1851 Navy Lists and could find only one John Bowden, and he passed as a Lieutenant on 16 March 1814. Using this information I checked the Naval Biography produced by O’Bryne in 1849, and found the following entry:

John Bowden entered the navy 26 May 1803 as a 1st Class Volunteer on board La Cheffonne 36, Capt. Chas Adams, under whom, after contributing to the defeat in June 1805 of a division of the French flotilla, which was driven under the batteries at Fecamp, he successively removed as Midshipman to the Resistance 33, and Invincible 74, employed off the coast of France, Spain and Portugal, and in the Mediterranean. Between October 1810 and October 1813 we find him serving at the siege of Cadiz, and on the Home and West India stations, in the Colossus 74, Captain Thomas Alexander, Royal William Capt Robert Hall, Norge 74 Capt. John Spratt Rainer, Vestal 28, Capt. Sam Decker, and as Masters Mate in the Garland 22, and in the Shark Sloop, Capt Thomas Huskisson, Richard Plummer Davies and John Gore. He was confirmed as a Lieutenant in the latter vessel, bearing the flag at the time of Rear-Admiral Wm. Brown. 16 March 1814; and invalided home in April 1815, was afterwards appointed – 5 April 1831, to a three years’ command in the Coast Guard – and 26 June 1837, to Victory 104, flag-ship at Portsmouth of Hon. Duncombe Flaydell Bouverie. He has been on half-pay since Feb 1840.

With the knowledge that he served in the Coast Guard service I checked the ADM 175 files (CG Establishment Books) and put together the following service:

Appointed from Burling Gap to serve at Burling Gap as Chief Officer from 5 April 1831 until 31 August 1831 when he was transferred t Newhaven. His next move was to Prawle on the 15 March 1833, from where he was discharged on 5 April 1834.

A check of the Navy Lists also established that John Day Bowden also entered the navy, initially as a Clerk, subsequently qualifying as a Paymaster. His service record can be downloaded from the National Archives website for a small fee; they are in ADM 196 (Officers Service Records)

Hope this is of some interest.

Regards

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear.       

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 November 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hey Martin,

That info is amazing! Thankyou so much. I'll have a good read of it tomorrow when my brain is turned on a little more and let you know if I need anything clarified.

2 quick questions though, where exactly did that info come from (if you can tell me that) and can you see if there is anything for Samuel S Bowden? I believe that John Day was Johns son and Samuels brother.

Thanks again!!

Ash